+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6958Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #7801
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,195

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Not easily gabriel. It's been about 7 years since I had to try to live on 10.00 an hour. Rent is climbing because they know people are losing their homes and need a place to live so supply and demand. The only problem is it goes up for those of us who already rent and have always rented and that sucks too!
    Yup, with donuts!!

  2. #7802
    Premium Member dagwood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Age
    43
    Posts
    19,162

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2865618;
    Minimum wage here in OH is a whopping $7.00.

    Come to Utah...it is a grand $5.65. Very glad I am not trying to live on that.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

    #oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

  3. #7803
    kissin cousins Sherri's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    309

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2865345;
    Where can one rent a HOUSE HOUSE for 550.00?
    OK no laughing...............Iowa. She actually lives in Sioux City and the house is pretty decent. Plus the landlords do all the yard work, snow removal, lawn mowing etc.

    Minumum wage here is 7.25. I make 8.50 an hour and no it's not easy, but it's possible.

  4. #7804
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,184

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;2866200;
    ...Iowa.
    And entertainment's cheap, too -- it doesn't cost anything to watch the corn grow!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  5. #7805
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherri;2866200;
    OK no laughing...............Iowa. She actually lives in Sioux City and the house is pretty decent. Plus the landlords do all the yard work, snow removal, lawn mowing etc.

    Minumum wage here is 7.25. I make 8.50 an hour and no it's not easy, but it's possible.
    Iowa,you say? Hmmmmm

  6. #7806
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2865345;
    Where can one rent a HOUSE HOUSE for 550.00?
    Believe it or not, but here in SC. We have been helping my husband's buddy look for a place to rent and have actually found quite a lot for $500-$600 a month. They are outside the city limits of Greenville, but still in a populated part of the county. Not bad houses either.

    One of the HUGE attractions for us to move here was housing costs. Even to buy something nice is a LOT cheaper than anywhere else. I don't know what minimum wage is, but my teenage daughter was making $7 an hour for her first and 2nd part time jobs.

    We've found the cost of living to be very low here and their is all kinds of cool stuff to do. A lot of it free.

    But shhhh, everyone's moving here (even the Today show did a segment on how fast this area is growing) and we don't want it to get over crowded.
    Last edited by MRD; 03-25-2008 at 08:30 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  7. #7807
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,195

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    One of the reasons mr buglover and I want to move to Mexico when the kids are all grown up and have their own families is because it's so cheap to live there. Mr buglover's parents live in a town called Chapala, about an hour from Guadalajara and there are a ton of Canadians moving there. In the last 3 years about 15 older couples have moved to the town so I figure by the time we move there, everyone will speak english...lol (I speak a little spanish but understand more). I figure our money will go so much further if we retire there than here.
    Yup, with donuts!!

  8. #7808
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2866971;
    One of the reasons mr buglover and I want to move to Mexico when the kids are all grown up and have their own families is because it's so cheap to live there. Mr buglover's parents live in a town called Chapala, about an hour from Guadalajara and there are a ton of Canadians moving there. In the last 3 years about 15 older couples have moved to the town so I figure by the time we move there, everyone will speak english...lol (I speak a little spanish but understand more). I figure our money will go so much further if we retire there than here.
    There was a special on 60 minutes or one of the other news shows last year about how many Americans are moving just across the border to Mexico because it is so cheap. Even beach front property in Mexico is WAY cheaper than here.

    Mr. Rosie has always talked about us moving to Costa Rica when we retire.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #7809
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,195

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Mr buglover is a dual citizen so if he buys property there, it's his until he sells it. It is dirt cheap. Some places are pricey, but that's mostly because American's are building the houses and selling them.
    Yup, with donuts!!

  10. #7810
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2867061;
    Mr buglover is a dual citizen so if he buys property there, it's his until he sells it. It is dirt cheap. Some places are pricey, but that's mostly because American's are building the houses and selling them.
    We have a friend that "retired" to Costa Rica about 10 years ago. He was disabled on the job and got disability which really wasn't a lot, but there, it enabled him to live VERY, VERY well.
    I don't know if things have changed since then or not there.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.