+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7285Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

What is a love bug?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2859340;
    What is a love bug?
    They are bugs that are connected together at the rear (hence the name love bug) that swarm mostly in Florida in May and Sept. and when they swarm, they SWARM and create a giant mess. They can totally cover a windshield with splatters in a matter of minutes. If you don't wash them off the car's paint, they can destroy the paint job. Oh and they STINK to high heaven.

Here's the Wiki link to a picture and description of them.
    Love bug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are one of Florida's worst problems when they are swarming. Cars are just covered by them. And getting them out of a grill on a car is hardwork. Lot's of people buy bug screens for the front of their cars for the love bug season.

Just a really nasty problem and one thing about Florida that I definetly DO NOT MISS!!!

The ONLY good thing about them is that they don't bite.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

OK, I went and looked. That is, officially, disgusting.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2859363;
    OK, I went and looked. That is, officially, disgusting.
    Ah, but you only saw a photo. Imagine having to live with that disgusting nuisance for 2 months out of every year. They are gross and they are EVERYWHERE in unimaginable numbers. Carwashes do great business in May and Sept. and it costs more to get a "love bug car wash" than a normal one as the cars literally have to be hand scrubbed.

I live in fear and dread of the next ladybug invasion. They are the nastiest things but, fortunately, nothing like your little nasty friends. We last had an invasion several years ago, and that's when I discovered that ladybugs do bite. And they leave stink and stain. It was more like a pinch, and it left a little red mark. I just hate bugs, period.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 03-21-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2859365;
    Ah, but you only saw a photo. Imagine having to live with that disgusting nuisance for 2 months out of every year. They are gross and they are EVERYWHERE in unimaginable numbers. Carwashes do great business in May and Sept. and it costs more to get a "love bug car wash" than a normal one as the cars literally have to be hand scrubbed.
    Here in GA we get the swarms of love bugs. You can't walk without getting them on your clothes, in your hair, in your car - it's quite the nuisance like you say. So you don't get them in SC? Or maybe you are further north? Lucky you!

We get it all in my neck of the woods- roaches, fire ants, earwigs, love bugs, mosquitoes, sand gnats, bees, wasps, termites, spiders, snakes, snapping turtles, water moccasins, even alligators . We have a small pond and had to have a gator catcher come out a few years ago and remove a gator we found out was living in it. It was only a young one, about 3 ft long, but still, that's 3 ft. too long for my comfort .

One thing we got really bad while in California was silverfish. I haven't seen any here although they're probably around too. They were annoying but I'm not sure what kind, if any, damage they do. And then top it all off with the pollen, which is gearing up now. The ground and vehicles are covered in it and allergy season is off to an early start. Getting a nice clean car wash only lasts about a minute. As soon as you leave the carwash and stop at a traffic light, the love bugs are there to mess it all up again (well not right now, but soon enough). The pollen is patiently waiting for you to get home .

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2858583;
    I use my pizza stone and my rectangle stone for EVERYTHING now.
    It also makes some great cookies and biscuits.

In fact, I only have one baking pan that is not stoneware. I call it my husband's grill pan. It's an old, nasty looking metal cookie sheet that he uses to either take food out or bring food back in from the grill on. It's so yucky looking, I would not cook anything on it in the oven.

But, I can't even talk about getting rid of it. He acts like its a piece of heirloom family silver that his great-great-great-grandmother buried in the backyard to keep the soldiers from getting it in 1863.

Come to think of it, it could be that old. Looks like it.
    Oh my goodness - my husband has one of those also!! I don't even like storing it in my kitchen - just doesn't seem right. And I was finally able to "misplace" his trusty basting brush, the one with rust on it? Yeah, that one. N.A.S.T.Y. Funny, I just couldn't tell you how it disappeared and a new rubber brush appeared.

You could always stick the nasty pan under the car to keep oil spots off the garage floor/driveway. Men can relate to that, and probably wouldn't fuss too much?

(Well, at least you could say that is why it's out there.)

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2858006;
    Oh, Newf.

Never heard of Pampered Chef, gutmutter. Maybe we don't have them in Canada.
    We just got our first Bed, Bath and Beyond store in Canada a little while ago. I'd rather have a Target. Grr.

We do have Pampered Chef in Canada. At least here in Sask we do. It's more about knowing someone who does the parties/sells the stuff though.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2859383;
    Here in GA we get the swarms of love bugs. You can't walk without getting them on your clothes, in your hair, in your car - it's quite the nuisance like you say. So you don't get them in SC? Or maybe you are further north? Lucky you!

We get it all in my neck of the woods- roaches, fire ants, earwigs, love bugs, mosquitoes, sand gnats, bees, wasps, termites, spiders, snakes, snapping turtles, water moccasins, even alligators . We have a small pond and had to have a gator catcher come out a few years ago and remove a gator we found out was living in it. It was only a young one, about 3 ft long, but still, that's 3 ft. too long for my comfort .

One thing we got really bad while in California was silverfish. I haven't seen any here although they're probably around too. They were annoying but I'm not sure what kind, if any, damage they do. And then top it all off with the pollen, which is gearing up now. The ground and vehicles are covered in it and allergy season is off to an early start. Getting a nice clean car wash only lasts about a minute. As soon as you leave the carwash and stop at a traffic light, the love bugs are there to mess it all up again (well not right now, but soon enough). The pollen is patiently waiting for you to get home .
    I thought silverfish ate books. Either the glue in the binding or the paper. We had those in Florida.
    We had it all there just like you.
    We are in the upstate area of SC near the mountains, so we don't seem to get a lot of the stuff that the lowcountry of the state does.

No gators up here, but there are mosquitos and snakes. Haven't seen ANY fireants since we've been here. Nasty creatures, had some bad experiences with them in Florida. I do believe there are termits and roaches, but haven't seen any. At least we don't have those HUGE Flying roaches like in Florida. The Palmetto bugs we called them there. NASTY.

Yep the pollen is covering the cars in a nice coat of yellow powder. Even my sinues have been bothering me and I NEVER have sinus issues usually. Not like my family and everyone else does.

I didn't know the love bugs went to GA either. They are horrible aren't they? Glad to leave those behind.

Funny, but the Gator's didn't bother me much. I used to see them all the time and if you use common sense, you shouldn't have a problem. But in Florida people feed them and then they associate people with food and the attacks happen. It's against the law to feed them, but people do.
    But it is nice to know we can go swimming in the lakes and rivers up here and not worry about them.
    Gator spotting was a favorite activity of ours and we had one in the canal behind our house. My only worry was for the dogs, but we had a fenced yard and I never took the dogs down to the canal.
    -------
    Oh, I'll let my husband have his nasty pan. He doesn't have much that is all his, so he can have that, makes him feel good.

+ Reply to Thread