+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6456Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Or instead of the shawl or wrap, get a nice fitted jacket to wear over the dress.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2855732;
    Or instead of the shawl or wrap, get a nice fitted jacket to wear over the dress.
    Or a shrug -- they're very chic and not at all dowdy.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

myrosiedog: Good luck with finding something wonderful to wear!

My twin sinister just called me tonight and asked me to help her shop for something to wear to a big hospitality industry dinner...it's black tie and cocktail dress. I don't think I've ever seen her in anything resembling a cocktail dress. I don't even know where to look for one these days. Glad we have a few weeks to find something too. Knowing her, she'd be more comfortable going black tie!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

MRD

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Given me a lot to think about as far as options which I needed.
    Hubby has to rent a tux. Oh whoppee. So freaking easy for the men isn't it? Always is.
    I thought I would also check into consignment shops and maybe even a rental thing. I'm only going to need the darn thing 1 night.
    Wish I could sew better than I can or I'd make it. But I am not good enough to make a "ball gown".
    It's going to be a major fundraiser "gala" for the museum. Black tie is what I was told, so that means formal gown for the ladies or very nice cocktail dress right?
    Best part is that I was given a whisper that my tickets for it will be compted! Which is why I can go, othewise I couldn't. And I don't want to spend a fortune on a dress and also tux rental to go, but I really, really want to go.

Thanks again everyone. Armed with all your suggestions, I should be able to find something.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't have any suggestions for the dress, MRD, but the whole affair sounds like it could be fun. Keep us posted!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2856346;
    I don't have any suggestions for the dress, MRD, but the whole affair sounds like it could be fun. Keep us posted!
    Free tickets, free food, open bar! Should be a BLAST!

Thanks Scoutmom, I'll post pictures if I ever make it to Sept.

mrd, just reading through the clothing suggestions for your evening out and they all sound good. But they made me remember what Sharon Stone wore to the Oscars a few years ago. While I generally loathe the woman, she did make a plain white cotton shirt and full black skirt look very chic. With some red lipstick and a mass of faux pearls around the neck, that's a look you could pull off very inexpensively which would also be totally rewearable, either as separates or as a team. Plus it has sleeves (I certainly know what you mean about that). And it's not too far removed from the tux you're envying Mr. mrd .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2856353;
    mrd, just reading through the clothing suggestions for your evening out and they all sound good. But they made me remember what Sharon Stone wore to the Oscars a few years ago. While I generally loathe the woman, she did make a plain white cotton shirt and full black skirt look very chic. With some red lipstick and a mass of faux pearls around the neck, that's a look you could pull off very inexpensively which would also be totally rewearable, either as separates or as a team. Plus it has sleeves (I certainly know what you mean about that). And it's not too far removed from the tux you're envying Mr. mrd .
    Great minds think alike Rattus. I loved that look and it would be very doable. I have my mother's opera length pearls and was hoping to find something I could wear those with. I don't get to wear them very often. And I have a very nice, dress white cotton blouse with french cuffs. And I think I could probably sew something simple as a black skirt in a nice taffeta or something too.

Loving all these suggestions. I want to be comfortable too. I don't want to spend the evening worrying about my dress the whole time. The skirt and blouse would be easy and comfy. Some of the dresses I looked at online would require a lot of foundation garments which are so uncomfortable, not to mention expensive. I just don't have it in me to spend $500 on dress, shoes, undergarments, hair and nails, etc.
    and I LOVE black and white together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2856353;
    Fabulous idea! I LOVE it!! I cannot stand Ms. Stone either, and her fashion choices are usually horrible of late, but that outfit was great.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Gah, MRD, I know the feeling! I have a formal thing to go to NEXT March and I'm already trying to figure out what to wear. Do you have Dillard's in your area of the world? I was just in there last weekend and all the winter formal and cocktail stuff was on sale 75% off. They have the best selection of formal "separates" of the local department stores around here and, IMO, a plain black skirt is fine any time of the year and susceptible to reuse.

+ Reply to Thread