+ Reply to Thread
Page 77 of 2451 FirstFirst ... 276768697071727374757677787980818283848586871271775771077 ... LastLast
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Both of my sets of grandparents were called Mamaw and Papaw. So to distinguish them, it's "Papaw Bob," etc. It's a pretty common name for grandparents in Appalachia.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

In the Hispanic community (where I grew up anyway!), our grandparents were Momo and Popo. My mother couldn't wait to be called that...it didn't happen. Since my brothers both had kids first, their grandmothers became great grandmothers and the kids used Momo and Popo. My mom became Grandma. My dad is Popo to the kids my mother babysits but to both my brother's kids, he's Grandpa. My sister's son (2 years old now) calls him Popo and my mom is still Grandma. They love it because they just want to called something and to be around them as much as possible!

So does anyone out there have any advice for teaching videogames??? My wife has a co-worker comming over tonight and she is brining her 71/2 yr. old son over for some gameboy lessons. Now I love videogames, but my library consists of games rated 'M' for mature. (These games I know how to paly! Lots o' fun, and being at an age where you can differentiate between fantasy & reality, they are just a diversion for when the guys are over.)

Now I think this kid owns Pokemon. Pokemon!?!?!?!?!? Errr, any tips out there? Anyone with kids who are familiar with this game? I have a feeling the game play is slightly different than Grand Theft Auto....

Anyroads, I'm sure it will go fine. I'm just worried about getting schooled at a game by a 71/2 yr. old!
    I knew everything at 18, and know nothing at 38.
    I'm happier knowing nothing.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    A friend and I were just talking about kids and the video game age today. We came to the conclusion that more kids need to be schooled in outdoors creative physical play! These kids are an incredible mess of vegetative computer time. No wonder they are getting more out of shape the younger they are.

My son always came up with the "I'm bored!" statement. I told him that that was because he was boring. I just think it's a shame that kids always need to be entertained, and cannot/will not entertain themselves. I don't remember having that problem as a child, thank goodness!

But we also had recess everyday school day, too.

Good Luck to You, Sun84. Turn that kid loose with other little boring kids his age, and he will pick it right up!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Many years ago one of my nieces or nephews would come spend an entire summer with me. (Uncle David... get it? )

One year I bought one of the earliest Nintendos. Came with a gun and every thing. At the end of that summer I sent the thing home with my nephew. It was a huge black hole for time. Once you get started it is difficult to stop. I found myself spending too much time playing the game and not enough on volleyball.

For those who can play in moderation I think it's great. For children who's parents properly control the amount of time the kids play the games I don't think it's any worse than any other modern form of entertainment. In fact it does an amazing job of increasing one's reflexes and hand-eye responsiveness.

And for those children who want to grow up to join the armed forces and help in the bombing of foreign countries its an invaluable tool.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

MRD
    Well in my experience I think that the kids end up "Picking" the name they call their grandparents.

We had my daughter call my mom Grandma and my dad Papa as that is what they wanted to be called. Well we would say: we're going to grandma's house and eventually she started saying Gammus and then Papa got changed to Papoo. they both actually LOVED their names that she chose.
    My daughter was named for my grandmother and she started calling her Mama Lucy when she was old enough. She just decided herself what she was calling everyone and it was fine with them.

My brother has his grandkids call him Grand Poobah which I think is ridiculous.

We also have a Gog in our family because my aunts grandson couldn't say grandma and it came out Gog. He's now 40 and she's still Gog. We also have a Boo, Mouse and Dimpy and they came out of the kids choosing, not the grandmothers, but all were happy with it.

I called my dad's mother Mom as that is what he called her and I guess as a little kid, I picked it up. She was horrified and wanted me to call her Grandmother Eva. Didn't happen. My brothers and sister and the other grandkids called her Grandmother Eva (she was not a loveable grandma).

I had an Aunt Dot who told me when I was about 4 she didn't want to be called Aunt Dot and I asked her what she wanted to be called and she said: "Just plain Dot" so that is exactly what I called her. 4 year olds are so literal. . she went back to Aunt Dot very quickly after that at her insistance.

We also have friends that called their grandmother Mimi and when they had kids, Mimi Too was invented. I thought it was kind of cute. Same with another friend. Her kids called her mom granny and they called their great grandmother "Other Granny" and that is how everyone refers to her now.
    "How's Other Granny doing?"

Personally, I say let the kids figure it out and whatever they call you is done out of love and the adorable age of toddlerhood. I don't think I would pick what my grandkids called me. I did mention one time I wanted to be called Dixie (my mom had a friend named Dixie and I just thought that was the BEST name in the world). I was being silly and my daughter informed me that we will be Gammus and Papoo to her kids. She loved my parents so much and loved the names she picked out that she wants to continue it. But those names may get garbled by little tongues and end up completely different and that's ok.

I will be proud to be a grandma. But not just yet. Mine's only 15, I hope we have a LOT more time before that happens.

Now growing up in the South, I had Aunts and Uncles galore. They weren't real aunts or uncles, but close friends of my parents that my parents had me call them Uncle Burton or Aunt Mary because they felt we were too close for me to call them Mr. or Mrs. So and So.
    My daughter does that too. We have several friends she calls aunt and uncle that are not really related by blood, but its a courtesy and she doesn't just call them Bob or Sue.

I have a friend that we call Coco as her first and last name both start with Co. I have a feeling that Coco will stick with her and it fits her well. She loves it.

Our daughter also went through a phase where she called us by our first names and then weirdly would call us "Parents". She'd come in the room and say: "parents, I need to go to Target for school clothes" or "Goodnight parents". It was kind of funny. She also used to call me "Your Majesty" from a show on the Disney channel when she was about 4. I LOVED it as you can imagine, but it didn't last long. I'd love to still be called that.

Oh and my mom's best friend calls her mom: "Mother Dearest" doesnt' shorten it. She'll be talking to you and say: "I have to go pick up Mother Dearest from the beauty parlour or Mother Dearest got a new cat. I've always loved that because her mother really was a dear.

Anyway, I don't think it really matters as the kids seem to pick out what they like anyway. And as for those trying to defy being a grandparent, then phooey on them. Grandchildren are what you have your own kids for! so you can spoil them and have all the fun and none of the responsibility.

None of my neices or nephews call me aunt as I was 9 when the first was born and 16 when the last was born, so being so young, I was hardly ready to be called Aunt Claudia.

Oh and my beloved Grandmother who my daughter is named after, I called Lucy because EVERYONE else called her that. I don't know why I never called her grandmother or anything, but it was always Lucy. And because I loved her so much and loved calling her that, we named our daughter Lucy and not Lucille which was my grandmothers real name. Which is how we got Mama Lucy and Baby Lucy I think to distinguish between the two. Our family names everyone after everyone else, so it gets real confusing at times. My oldest brother is name Claude III, my dad was Claude Jr. and his dad Claude Sr. My second brother is John Lee and his great-grandfather was John Lee and then they named me Claudia, so we practically all had the same names and then I named my kid after my grandmother, so you never knew who you were talking to and add to that hte fact that my grandmother and none of her sisters EVER called me by my name, but called me my mother's name to the point where I answered to it as I knew who they were talking too. And my dad and the other relatives called my mom by a nickname, so it was confusion city when our family got together.
    That's why if we had had another child and it had been a boy, he would have been Jack as there was not a Jack on either side of the family.

My husbands family is the worst. They had 5 kids, named them all and then called them all by nicknames that had NOTHING to do with the actual names.
    Irvin was called Opie, Iris was called Jakie, Milton was called Dean and Richard got the only nickname that went with his name: Dick. Hazel was called Kim. WHO knows why.

Interesting topic.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

We're finally in South Carolina!

OMG! I can't believe we are finally here and unloaded. It has been a
    horrible, grueling, exhausting experience.

We did not get in until 10:30 p.m. Sun night. The 10 hour trip up took 13
    HOURS! Between a LOADED uhaul that sucked down gas and a heaving
    dog, we made a lot of stops!

It has taken us 2 1/2 days to unload (2 weeks of packing and 2 days to load). Partly because we had to spend
    2 hours monday getting the child registered at Greenville High and then
    it rained 2 hours yesterday or we would have been finished last
    night. My husband left at noon today to go back to Florida and
    finish up some unfinished business with his old job and get his
    pickup and the stuff we couldn't fit in the car or uhaul. Don't
    know where that's going to go as we don't have room for what we have
    now and there is no attic access in this house, or a garage, just a
    carport. I feel like I am living in box world and don't know where
    anything is.

We finally got phones and internet today, but I don't have a new
    email yet as I have to get on the phone and be put on hold forever
    to get Charter to give us one. The guy that came today to install
    the phone and internet was on hold with his own company trying to
    set us up longer than it took him to install the cable we needed.

Anyway, the child is NOW registered at Eastside High. We found out at 2
    this afternoon (school starts TOMORROW) that the bus for Gville High picks her up at our
    corner (convenient), but she will have a 2 hour ride in the morning
    and afternoon and will have to change buses at another High school somewhere else. So
    we decided that 4 hours on a school bus a day was a bit ridiculous
    (and why do the bus drivers have to call you? Why can't
    transportation tell you anything? Transportation knows NOTHING, we
    had to find all this out from the driver today) So we live 5 min.
    from Eastside and I will just drive her this week until we get a bus
    schedule for that school. We made a wild trip to Eastside this
    afternoon to register her for tomorrow, then off to the mall, Target
    and Old Navy and she has 2 new outfits for this week.

So far we have eaten horrible takeout and if I have to have
    breakfast from McDonalds one more morning, I am going to puke. We
    broke the coffee pot in the move, so McDonald's has been providing
    coffee and I have the microwave but no toaster.
    We had Bi-Lo (THE grocery store here, have to find a Publix) fried
    chicken which was nasty and then we had Happy China delivery which
    was even nastier. Tonight the child ate at Chick-fil-a and I had a bowl
    of lukewarm broccali cheese soup from Target's little food place
    while she shopped.

Did find a couple great shortcuts so I don't have to get on the
    interstate to get to places. So far I haven't been lost, but hubby
    has which is funny because usually its the other way around. But I
    haven't been too many places either. Everyone has been really
    friendly except for our neighbors. I don't understand. They ALL
    turned out on Mon. to cut their grass. It actually got quite funny
    after a while. We wondered if Mon was the official grass cutting day
    or if they were just checking us out. There are 7 houses on our
    street including ours and out of those 7, 5 of us where outside late
    Mon. afternoon. No one came over or even said hello which I thought
    was odd as everyone keeps telling me how friendly their neighbors
    are. Ours have done their best to ignore us. The woman across the
    steet actually worked in her yard for half an hour and managed to
    keep her back to us the entire time. We were laughing about it being
    possible to back around your yard so you didn't make eye contact
    with the new neighbors. They also drive the big, huge, mega ton
    Hummer and seem to be real pretentious by looking at their house and
    how they act and dress. So I guess that is no loss. But as EVERYONE
    in this town drives SUV's and we don't, maybe that's the problem.
    LOL!

It has been an experience, but we are glad to be here. The weather
    is gorgeous. Everyone here is complaining about the heat adn we are
    loving it as its about 10 degrees cooler than where we came from and
    the humidity is lower.

I am currently living in Box World, can't find a thing and after 2 solid weeks of this moving crap have just about HAD IT! I don't care if the boxes sit here another day. I am having a take it easy day tomorrow. Child will be at school, hubby in Florida and even tho I have no TV (missed SEVERAL of my fave shows including Rock STar), I am going to lay around tomorrow like a beached whale. I deserve it. The unpacking can wait. We have clean clothes, toothbrushes and toilet paper, so that is all the necessities we need at the moment. If I don't rest tomorrow, they will put me in the ground on Fri. I just may sleep all day. Then on Fri. will be refreshed and can tackel this living nightmare.

This is the most gorgeous city. The hills and trees and buildings are just beautiful. It's so nice to live someplace pretty. Our old town had gotten very not pretty. This is just like a Norman Rockwell painting (except for the snotty neighbors). We actually have trees in our yard. Fully mature trees and bushes. Had none of that in Floirda as they clear cut all the lots and then nothing grows in 95 degree heat without burning up and with the water restrictions there, you can't landscape. Hubby is already getting plans for the Christmas lights as we have actual stuff to put lights on and we have a holly bush. A real live holly bush! I don't think I've ever seen one. I am so excited!

My daughter is amazed at the hills. She's lived in Flat Florida all her life and the hills have been her biggest amazement. That and Kudzu.

Well off to bed. I am beat! Glad to be internet connected again.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Your double-naming could be worse, Rosie -- in my family, we have two Rhondas and two Jessies. So there's a Big Rhonda and Little Rhonda, Big Jessie and Little Jesse. I'm sure the "big" ones are less than thrilled.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
    Your double-naming could be worse, Rosie -- in my family, we have two Rhondas and two Jessies. So there's a Big Rhonda and Little Rhonda, Big Jessie and Little Jesse. I'm sure the "big" ones are less than thrilled.
    I hear you Lucy on the big and little. Must be a southern thing. One of my aunts was called "Big Mama" by her grandkids and my sister's kids call their father's mother "Nother Mother."

We called one of our great-grandmothers Big Mama and she was such a petite woman.

Myrosie, glad you are moved in and back on the net! As for your neighbors, maybe they want to give ya'll a few days to unwind and unpack? If none of them talk to you this weekend then I guess they really are snooty and it will be their loss!

+ Reply to Thread