+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6151Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Gut I don't blame you. I hate the way alot of kids dress. It's not appropriate for learning and very distracting! You keep up the good work!
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2847888;
    I was walking into school this morning behind a girl wearing thigh-high white stockings and shorty short shorts. We have a new vice-principal who stands outside the door as they arrive and told her to go straight to the office and call home for different clothes. When we got in, she went straight to a group of girls to b*tch about it so I redirected her and got the big eye roll. So I copied the dress code they all have in their agenda and am going over it in each class today. I even made a 2" measure for them because shorts/skirts can't be more than 2" over the knee. Then I demonstrate how if they're standing up tall they shouldn't be able to reach the hem with their fingertips. I do enforce the dress code. I hate it when they get to me at the end of the day and nobody has said anything. Makes me the bad guy, but I don't care.
    Good for you Gut!!! I appreciate your efforts.

A friend who is a HS teacher has given up however. After repeatedly sending students to the office for dress code violations, and then being queried by the office about why she was sending them, she figured out that the offenders were either adjusting their outfits to fit code, borrowing something from a friend or stopping by their lockers to get a different outfit. Invariably she'd see them towards the end of the day dressed exactly as they'd been when she sent them to the office.

I was walking into school this morning behind a girl wearing thigh-high white stockings and shorty short shorts. . .
    A future contestant on Flavor of Love!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2848268;
    It's not appropriate for learning and very distracting!
    Which is a good argument for school uniforms. I didn't have uniforms for school, but I did have uniforms for camp, and it made life so easy, because I didn't have to think about what to wear in the morning, plus uniforms eliminated all of the social concerns that usually accompany one's choice of outfit. I wished we had them for school!

CCL

^ Yes, but how many times have you seen girls in uniforms with their skirts hitched up quite high? Girls can even make a uniform indecent. Unless it was polyester overalls or something - they might have some trouble with that.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2847716;
    Unk may have posted it, but it could have been any of the Ohio State fans, or Broadway, an ardent Michigan State fan. I do know that it wasn't me. My mother taught me that it isn't nice to tease the disadvantaged. Bless their little Wolverine hearts, they try so hard . . .

My two cents on Turkey Talk--I don't think that I've ever had ground turkey, but I'd be willing to try it. And although I've cut way down on beef, I've yet to see a corned turkey brisket or a prime rib of turkey. Until that happens, no cow is safe.

I swear the more I learn about you, the more I think you and my husband were cut of the same cloth.

And also on the not nice to tease the disadvantaged. I'll apologize to our friend and use that excuse.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have received my official invitation to the celebration of my grandmother's life on the 30th of this month. This afternoon I received an email from my aunt telling me all the changes to the house, etc. getting it ready for sale. Is it incredibly selfish of me to be pissed off that the end of the month will probably be the last time I see the house we all basically grew up in and it's going to be COMPLETELY different? Ok, I'm done with my pity party now.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2848795;
    I have received my official invitation to the celebration of my grandmother's life on the 30th of this month. This afternoon I received an email from my aunt telling me all the changes to the house, etc. getting it ready for sale. Is it incredibly selfish of me to be pissed off that the end of the month will probably be the last time I see the house we all basically grew up in and it's going to be COMPLETELY different? Ok, I'm done with my pity party now.
    Bug, I'm so sorry.
    When my parents passed, I couldn't even drive down the street their (our) house was on. And it was a major shortcut for me, but I would take the long way around because I couldn't pass the house without crying. So many good memories there. But I still have those memories and I take them out and smile and laugh about them often, even if the house belongs to someone else who tore up the gorgeous yard my mom and grandmother worked SO hard on.

Hugs to you as you go through this phase. And I don't think you are being selfish. We all get a little selfish when its our childhood, family, memories etc.
    Perfectly understandable. (can you tell I'm STILL po-ed about the yard and it's been almost 10 years!!!!)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Oh girl don't get me started on childhood homes and what people do to them when they buy them!! The house I grew up in for 14 years, I drove by it about 10 years ago and there are bars on every window, an iron screen door, the fence in the front was gone and get this!!! They build another small house in the back yard, basically making it a duplex! That miffed me...hee hee
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2848795;
    Not selfish at all, especially if you haven't been part of the transformation itself (which can be difficult, but also therapeutic).

Several years ago, after my grandmother moved into assisted living, we had to get her house ready to sell. She'd lived there for over 40 years, and she had hosted a lot of Thanksgivings and Easters there and random weekends. From her travels and a few houses' worth of things that were left to her, my sister and I always had a great time playing there-- the player piano, banjo, balalaika, etc, or playing house with the Russian Samovar and sherry decanter (I think I only learned its true use when I was writing the eulogy a couple years ago), stuff that really only happened at her house. Anyway, we cleaned out her house and eventually turned it over to estate sale organizers over the course of a summer, while my sister was away at camp. When my sister had left for the summer, the house was still pretty well in tact, but when we brought her to the house to make sure we had everything that we wanted to keep, it looked completely different and she was very upset. Having been part of the process, it was much easier for me. And this wasn't even the house we grew up in-- that would be so much harder.

It's always hard to leave things that are a big part of your life.

+ Reply to Thread