+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2846342;
    I'm giving serious consideration to trying the Neelys BBQ Turkey Meatloaf. She (I can't remember her name) said she made it and didn't tell hubby (who believed that meatloaf was only to be made with ground beef) that it was ground turkey and not ground beef until after he'd eaten it, and he really loved it. It did sound rather good to me! These people make me want to go to Memphis to check out their restaurant. Any Memphis people in here?
    I don't eat ground turkey and I don't eat meatloaf - but I'm thinking of trying that turkey meatloaf!!! It looked that good.. very interesting take on meatloaf.

And Gina was toned down quite a bit on yesterday's show - much easier to watch.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I make turkey meatloafs all the time and honestly, it tastes just as good as with ground beef. It's all in the seasoning! I like that I'm eating a little healthier without sacrificing taste. I've switched to turkey sausage links for Sunday breakfasts as well..I'm sure all the nitrates in there are going to kill me anyhow, but they honestly taste just like beef link sausages!

I'm going to make turkey chili burgers tonight. I'll let you know if the boys figure out the difference! I'm going to make them healthier if it kills them! lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2846342;
    I'm giving serious consideration to trying the Neelys BBQ Turkey Meatloaf. She (I can't remember her name) said she made it and didn't tell hubby (who believed that meatloaf was only to be made with ground beef) that it was ground turkey and not ground beef until after he'd eaten it, and he really loved it. It did sound rather good to me!
    I can't remember the last time I used ground beef. I have a turkey meatloaf recipe I usually make, with a lot of good seasonings and with granny smith apples for added moisture (that way I can use the lean white-meat turkey). But I loved the barbecue spices in the Neelys' recipe. We just bought ground turkey yesterday with the intention of making burgers, but after seeing the Neelys' take on meat loaf, we decided to try her recipe later this week.

Her mac & cheese had some good ideas. I'd use my own sauce recipe -- hers had too much saturated fat -- but add some of the spices she used, such as the fresh ground nutmeg.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Ground turkey is also delicious in spaghetti sauce in place of beef. I use it in lasagna, as well. Today, I made a taco salad, and used it instead of beef. after you fry the turkey meat and add the taco seasoning, you can't tell at all that it isn't beef.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I used to use turkey for everything because my ex couldn't eat beef. We liked it. I just hope I can pass it off for mr buglover and my son. They love beef and it shows..lol
    Yup, with donuts!!

A HUGE middle finger salute to the idiot that thought scrawling profanities all over the back of a bus seat was amusing.

My 8 yr old learned a new word today.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Twice a month I'll eat a small (3 - 4 oz) lean steak -- sirloin filet, which is high in protein but relatively low in fat -- to keep my iron level up; for a few years, I had a bit of a problem with anemia. But for any of the ground stuff or sausage, hubby and I use lean turkey, chicken, or veggie products. We actually prefer it, because there's no grease dripping anywhere (easy cleanup!), and we like the flavor. We just wish that more restaurants offered those options.

from Buglover:
    . . . I just hope I can pass it off for mr buglover and my son. They love beef and it shows..lol
    I hope you can, too. When we were dating, hubby used to eat quite a bit of beef and other sat fats, but as he got more into his 40s, his lipid levels crept up and was looking at having to take cholesterol-lowering drugs (genetics didn't help, either!). Now we both have excellent blood lipid levels; I'm med-free, and he just takes a timed-release niacin. So take, heart, Buglover -- it can be done! (mostly by not telling until after they say how wonderful the burger/meatloaf/meat sauce/lasagne/etc. is -- or not at all for several dishes!)

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy;2847100;
    A HUGE middle finger salute to the idiot that thought scrawling profanities all over the back of a bus seat was amusing.

My 8 yr old learned a new word today.
    Damn "Hooked on Phonics"!

They very much loved the turkey chili tonight!! Yippee!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread