+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6180Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2820963;
    They're certainly easier to catch and nobody calls 911 when they go missing
    No, but some people do call 911 when little Frisky climbs a tree, and wastes the valuable resources of the fire dept. If they'd just leave the cat alone it will come down on its own, they don't want to starve you know. But that's a whole other topic!

Newf and Ellen. My goodness. I surely didn't mean cats are better to cook! I meant they are better than kids! And kids are better to trip, not cook! Now, finding a slow cooker as big as you require, gabriel, might be a challenge!

This discussion sure headed down a strange track!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2821031;
    But how long does it take to stuff a kid in a slow cooker, or do you have that new FAMILY SIZE one?
    I'm tying to follow this cooking advice, but there's just one of me--no way can I eat a whole FAMILY!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2821130;
    No, but some people do call 911 when little Frisky climbs a tree, and wastes the valuable resources of the fire dept. If they'd just leave the cat alone it will come down on its own, they don't want to starve you know. But that's a whole other topic!
    I am going to disagree on this one. I've been doing some checking and while there are rare cases of a cat coming down from a tree it ran up, almost everything I found points to getting the cat out of the tree asap, as without food or water, within 12 hours that cat can become weak and dehydrated and fall out of the tree. Cats do become dehydrated very easily and I think that a call to the fire department is appropriate, however the caller should get billed. Even better would be humans keeping their kids under control.
    Last edited by just1paul; 03-03-2008 at 07:00 AM.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2822077;
    I am going to disagree on this one. I've been doing some checking and while there are rare cases of a cat coming down from a tree it ran up, almost everything I found points to getting the cat out of the tree asap, as without food or water, within 12 hours that cat can become weak and dehydrated and fall out of the tree. Cats do become dehydrated very easily and I think that a call to the fire department is appropriate, however the caller should get billed. Even better would be humans keeping their kids under control.
    Damn, that's a novel approach that a lot of parents have yet to discover!!

You guys are cracking me up with the slowcooker stuff.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2822077;
    Thank you for enlightening me to that fact. My husband is a firefighter and the times he knows of the fire dept being used that way, it was in the poorest districts and no way was the city going to bill them. It was just one of those things you have to do for the community. I didn't realize food and water was that time sensitive so that's good information to know.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2822092;
    Thank you for enlightening me to that fact. My husband is a firefighter and the times he knows of the fire dept being used that way, it was in the poorest districts and no way was the city going to bill them. It was just one of those things you have to do for the community. I didn't realize food and water was that time sensitive so that's good information to know.
    I would think that animal control could help with that, but I may be wrong. I've never had that problem before.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

When our cat ran up our tree over 20 years ago the fire dept no longer came to rescue them. That was already a thing of the past. I lived in Akron, Ohio at that time. I didn't know that fire departments still did that at all.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Our fire department would not, officially, even roll on a cat in a tree; callers are told "No" when they call. Now, that's not to say that some sappy, soft () call taker might not call a district chief or someone similar just to drop a whisper in an ear, and maybe somebody would go by there and take a look-see at the situation. You'd be surprised at the things that "get done", even though they don't. Television shows have the public thinking that FDs do more stuff that they don't. It's right up there with the newscasters saying that everybody is "rushed to the hospital" when they are just driven there like you would be in your own car (and they probably should/could be); careless usage of the word for drama effect.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2822092;
    Actually I didn't know it was either until Joey had his urinary tract blockage in 2001 and the animal hospital told me when I was picking him up, to make sure that he was kept hydrated even if it meant eyedropping water into him, since a cat can become severely dehydrated within 8-10 hours or so. Fortunately for me, Mr. Joseph has always been a big water drinker and especially when it is FRESH from the tap in a CLEAN bowl....
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread