+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6383Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2814274;
    . . . but also ignoring her and letting her sulk is good too. It doesn't get her the attention that sometimes is the point of the actions from the child.
    Again, if someone is THAT picky, then they should have brought something for her to eat.
    As a host, I'd prefer that the picky, sulky 12-year-old (or kid of any age) be left at home with a babysitter -- or be taken home when she exhibits that behavior.
    Last edited by Ellen; 02-27-2008 at 11:51 AM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I am so enivous of people without food allergies.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

I still remember when I was a little kid and another little kid was complaining to her mother that the food looked 'icky.' The kid was actually kind of discreet about it--I only overheard 'cause I was seated at the kids' table with the picky eater. The mother whispered back to her, "Well you're going to eat it anyway." And that was the end of that. The kid stopped complaining and ate it and actually LIKED it. I would never force anyone to eat anything that would make them sick (cole slaw that you saw sitting out in the sun for HOURS etc.). But hey, take a few bites and just be done with it!

misskitty, come on over! MRD, I'll give you the largest serving of the cake!

Thank you all for letting me rant. It makes me feel so much better and spares my husband a bunch of grief listening to me complain...

I have to say, in defense of young people being made to eat stuff that they really, really don't like, that there can be long term repercussions to that. When I was young, way, way back, I was forced to eat my grandmother's cooking, her friend Mrs. Young's cooking, and my great aunt's cooking on a too-often basis. I did it without making a fuss (because I would have been taken severely and painfully to task if I had), but to this day I just can't eat at other people's houses or share other people's lunch if they ask, or eat any tasty thing that my co-workers bring into the office unless it was made by a major corporation without any input from the co-worker.

So I guess I kind of empathize with the unhappy youngsters who aren't being given any choice.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2813425;
    Strawberry is still number one hands down though!!
    Frosted strawberry.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2814337;
    As a host, I'd prefer that the picky, sulky 12-year-old (or kid of any age) be left at home with a babysitter -- or be taken home when she exhibits that behavior.
    One of the reasons we've had a hard time making friends here I think is that we are no longer willing to make friends with people that have younger children. Being in our mid-40's with an almost 17 year old, I just don't want to deal with friends that have younger children anymore. I know that sounds bad. But basically, been there, done that, want friends closer to my age and situation in life and really dont' want to deal with any one else's children at this point. Not that I don't like kids, I do. But we want friends that we can hang with and not necessarily hang with their kids. My own child is old enough to be left at home or go out with her friends and we want the same thing.

I know I'll get flack for this, but I don't care. I'm past the point where I want to deal with children when I socialize.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2814787;
    I know I'll get flack for this, but I don't care. I'm past the point where I want to deal with children when I socialize.
    MRD, my sister in law was just saying the same thing. Part of the reason is that their house is no longer babyproofed since all their children are grown up and know not to drink the Drano etc. They had church friends over and their baby was getting into everything and the parents didn't do anything about it. So my sister in law and brother and their kids had to be like hawks to make sure the baby didn't get hurt. She said it was just too stressful!

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2814246;
    On the subject of entertaining, I have a question. Do people not reciprocate anymore? I was raised that if someone had you over, you had them over in return. It seems like these days, besides family, we're the only one doing the entertaining. What are your experiences?

This is one of the major reasons I don't have people over for dinner anymore. With the exception of family and a few close friends who do reciprocate. My rule is: If I cook for someone twice, and they don't reciprocate in some way, they are no longer invited over. It may sound kind of harsh but I am sick of freeloaders.

Lois Lane, really you handled that much better than I would've. I sit the food out there and if someone doesn't want to eat it, then I tell them to "try the bean dip" LOL not literally, but whatever else is on the table. I had a couple over one time and made lasagne. Herself doesn't like cheese (she informed me when she saw the lasagne). I passed the salad to her.

It is RUDE to treat a private dinner party like you are at the local diner. I could see it if you were allergic to say nuts for example. To ask what it in a dish is fine. But to request BEFORE the dinner party that you not serve certain items is just RUDE.

Do these friends you're referring to reciprocate?

God, I have such hostessing hangups. I need therapy.

Oh yeah, strawberry frosted pop-tarts
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2814787;
    One of the reasons we've had a hard time making friends here I think is that we are no longer willing to make friends with people that have younger children. Being in our mid-40's with an almost 17 year old, I just don't want to deal with friends that have younger children anymore. I know that sounds bad. But basically, been there, done that, want friends closer to my age and situation in life and really dont' want to deal with any one else's children at this point. Not that I don't like kids, I do. But we want friends that we can hang with and not necessarily hang with their kids. My own child is old enough to be left at home or go out with her friends and we want the same thing.

Livin4 . I totally agree with you, MRD My younger sister (40 today!) has 2 daughters under the age of 5. They are holy terrors and hard to be around. (Think climbing all over my 17 year old son) and throwing tantrums all the time. It is so hard to be around.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2814912;
    Do these friends you're referring to reciprocate?
    Come to think of it...no. One friend invites us over every once in a while...but it's usually us doing the inviting.

Sigh...

+ Reply to Thread