+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I don't think I even know how to cook anything without onions and garlic!

My rule for cooking with garlic is that if I can't smell it on my hands for three days, I didn't use enough.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I am an onion and garlic lover too! I usually ask if it's people I don't know, and try to accomodate, but if someone just shows up then I don't worry about it. They can figure out what they want to eat. Just before we moved back, I had a dinner party with adults and kids. No one had allergies, and I made a wide variety of foods, including more adult dishes and "kid friendly dishes" like teriyaki chicken wings, caesar salad, garlic bread, cheese cake, and then some more sophisticated dishes. One 12 year old child announced that she "couldn't eat anything" and it "all tastes bad" and proceeded to eat one piece of lettuce and sulk. All the other kids cleaned up everything and had a blast. What really got to me was that her parents did NOTHING. My kids would eat *&(^ on a plate if it was served to them at a guest's house. At the very least I expected her mother to remove her and speak to her privately. She didn't even get "the look". I am pretty sure there was steam coming out of my ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2814149;

My rule for cooking with garlic is that if I can't smell it on my hands for three days, I didn't use enough.
    Me too. If a recipe calls for one clove of garlic, it gets ten. I mean, how is one clove of garlic enough for any recipe.

When I used to have people over for dinner, many, many years ago, I always made some sort of vegetarian pasta dish. That never had anyone bitching and moaning about what they could or could not eat. Except those on diets, and sorry, you'll just have to suck it up and absorb a few calories for one meal.

Barbeques were the only dinner where I added any meat to the menu. It was usually marinated lamb kebabs, which lends itself to a wide ranging menu incorporating a number of vegetarian dishes, which made everyone happy.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Thanks everyone. I just want to add that I think I sounded a tad snippy last night. OK, maybe more than a tad! I actually have a chart of who's allergic to what, 'cause I do take allergies extremely seriously. So I knew that when I invited these particular friends, I couldn't serve certain things. Fine. But then they invited (in no particular order) their elderly mother, who is on a restricted food diet. As you all know, I am a sucker for senior citizens so I was actually happy to accomodate any of her wishes. Their sister, who is vegetarian, only when it's convenient for her, but didn't want to eat meat the night or our dinner. The sister also doesn't eat cream, which is in the ganache for the chocolate cake I planned on making. Another person (another tag on) doesn't eat garlic, onions, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, pasta. OK--there goes my menu. Another person doesn't eat chicken, while another won't eat beef, and another hates seafood. I've had easier times feeding picky 2 year olds!

Anyhow, I plan on making a chicken dish, a pasta and a nice hearty salad. The allergies should be fine with these dishes. As for the ones who just don't like the food, oh well. I'm not allergic to any foods, but there are certain foods I just don't like. For instance, I love Indian cuisine, but I'm not a big fan of milky curries. A friend invited us over for dinner and the main course was a milky curry. You know what? I ate a little of it to be polite and ate the rest of the dishes which were delicious. Problem solved! As many of you said, I went to socialize more than to get a free meal!

Many of my friends (including me!) are allergic to cats. I have a cat (I take medication--but I wouldn't impose that on my guests) and make sure that people know we have a pet. Usually everyone is OK with this and might take a Benadryl before they arrive if they really want to come. I also keep our house really clean and we steamclean the carpet and wash everything really well to minimize any damage, but I know that pet dander is pet dander even if you clean really well. Except for the extremely allergic people, it works out OK. Now a friend of mine has 4 cats and I can't go to their house 'cause it's just too much for me--but she understands and either comes here, or we meet at a restaurant.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me complain. Like MRD said, if this was a buffet like we have around the holidays, bring everyone! The more the merrier. But now this sit down dinner will turn into a buffet 'cause I can't accomodate everyone otherwise. And all the tag ons--they're not even people I know...and it's not like I didn't invite people as a couple. I could understand if I invite someone and not their husband.

OK...must stop griping...

On the subject of entertaining, I have a question. Do people not reciprocate anymore? I was raised that if someone had you over, you had them over in return. It seems like these days, besides family, we're the only one doing the entertaining. What are your experiences?
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2814246;
    On the subject of entertaining, I have a question. Do people not reciprocate anymore? I was raised that if someone had you over, you had them over in return. It seems like these days, besides family, we're the only one doing the entertaining. What are your experiences?
    I think reciprocity has gone out the window.

I also used to send a note of thanks to the hostess afterwards, but got teased so much about it, I quit doing that. But I was raised that is what you did. And in the case of someone who threw me a rather large, rather nice engagement party, I sent flowers to her afterwards as a thank you.

But no, people don't reciprocate in my experience. Which is a shame, because I enjoy socializing and having people over to me is fun and then getting invited to their house is even more fun.

Weird world we live in.

And Canuck, my mother would have snatched me baldheaded if I had acted that way in someone's home. Maybe the parents spoke to her later, but also ignoring her and letting her sulk is good too. It doesn't get her the attention that sometimes is the point of the actions from the child.
    Again, if someone is THAT picky, then they should have brought something for her to eat.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Leo
    Premium Member

Can I just say, these are the luckiest college freshmen on the face of the earth?

ACU first university in nation to provide iPhone or iPod touch to all incoming freshmen - Abilene Christian University

ACU to give iPhone or iPod Touch to all incoming freshmen; will pioneer learning strategies with devices

An Apple iPhone or iPod Touch will become a central part of Abilene Christian University's innovative learning experience this fall when all freshmen are provided one of these converged media devices, said Phil Schubert, ACU executive vice president.

At ACU - the first university in the nation to provide these cutting-edge media devices to its incoming class - freshmen will use the iPhones or iPod Touches to receive homework alerts, answer in-class surveys and quizzes, get directions to their professors' offices, and check their meal and account balances - among more than 15 other useful web applications already developed, said ACU Chief Information Officer Kevin Roberts.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2813734;
    You're on! The pains in the butts are out...and you're all invited! Party at Chez Lane this weekend! Amy Lee, I know you'll want to bring something...so can you just bring Wentworth, please?
    Can I attend? I'll eat anything. And I'll bring the cupcakes! The kitts will stay home as you are allergic. Wow. See how easy that was?

Leo: That is way cool. Edumacation is sure changing!

Amy Lee: Your brownies looked yummy!

myrosiedog: An acreage on the side of a mountain with a little creek sounds blissful!
    Last edited by misskitty; 02-27-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

But then they invited (in no particular order) their elderly mother, who is on a restricted food diet. As you all know, I am a sucker for senior citizens so I was actually happy to accomodate any of her wishes. Their sister, who is vegetarian, only when it's convenient for her, but didn't want to eat meat the night or our dinner. The sister also doesn't eat cream, which is in the ganache for the chocolate cake I planned on making. Another person (another tag on) doesn't eat garlic, onions, mushrooms, lettuce, spinach, pasta. OK--there goes my menu. Another person doesn't eat chicken, while another won't eat beef, and another hates seafood. I've had easier times feeding picky 2 year olds!
    About the only thing left to serve is bottled water
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

I'd come and eat JUST for the cake!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread