+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5930Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

We had a great view of it here.

Considering that two of my closest friends have had sons in boy scouts and the tales they tell of boy scout camping and no bathing involved, I would guess it doesn't take long to collect the belly button lint.

I don't need a GPS, I have an innate sense of direction. I always end up at the airport.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Yeah, on weekend trips, Boy Scouts and showers don't get along. But when we take them to summer camp for a week, we make them line up for showers every day!

livin4reality: I couldn't see the eclipse because there's too many trees. I would have had to leave the house and drive to a park. I had a kitten on my lap so I didn't dare move. But the photos shown on the news were amazing! Way cool!

Gutmutter: Great idea with the egg cups. I never knew that. I get tons of dryer lint and just throw it out. Now I'll start collecting it and try that out! I'll bet that kitty fur on the brushes works great too!

Newf: You are so
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2805363;
    I don't need a GPS, I have an innate sense of direction. I always end up at the airport.
    You saying this reminded me of something I had heard about before.

Do humans have a compass in their nose?

Asked by Lee Staniforth of Manchester, UK

Some years ago scientists at CALTECH (California Institute of Technology in Pasadena) discovered that humans possess a tiny, shiny crystal of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, located between your eyes, just behind the nose.

Magnetite is a magnetic mineral also possessed by homing pigeons, migratory salmon, dolphins, honeybees, and bats. Indeed, some bacteria even contain strands of magnetite that function, according to Dr Charles Walcott of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York, "as tiny compass needles, allowing them [the bacteria] to orient themselves in the earth's magnetic field and swim down to their happy home in the mud".

It seems that magnetite helps direction finding in animals and helps migratory species migrate successfully by allowing them to draw upon the earth's magnetic fields. But scientists are not sure how they do this.

In any case, when it comes to humans, according to some experts, magnetite makes the ethmoid bone sensitive to the earth's magnetic field and helps your sense of direction.

Some, such as Dr Dennis J Walmsley and W Epps from the Department of Human Geography of the Australian National University in Canberra writing in Perceptual and Motor Skills as far back as in 1987, have even suggested that this "compass" was helpful in human evolution as it made migration and hunting easier.

Following this fascinating factoid, science journalist Marc McCutcheon entitled a book The Compass in Your Nose and Other Astonishing Facts.

Do humans have a compass in their nose? | The Register
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That is really weird, prhoshay.

It was crystal clear but cold for the eclipse here in NW Ohio. Fortunately it was visible from our front windows, between the trees. My daughter is alway fascinated with them as she was born during a total lunar eclipse.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2805595;
    . . . I'll bet that kitty fur on the brushes works great too! . . .
    Oooh -- burning hair? Stinky!!!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2805622;
    You saying this reminded me of something I had heard about before.

Do humans have a compass in their nose?

Asked by Lee Staniforth of Manchester, UK

Some years ago scientists at CALTECH (California Institute of Technology in Pasadena) discovered that humans possess a tiny, shiny crystal of magnetite in the ethmoid bone, located between your eyes, just behind the nose.

Magnetite is a magnetic mineral also possessed by homing pigeons, migratory salmon, dolphins, honeybees, and bats. Indeed, some bacteria even contain strands of magnetite that function, according to Dr Charles Walcott of the Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology in Ithaca, New York, "as tiny compass needles, allowing them [the bacteria] to orient themselves in the earth's magnetic field and swim down to their happy home in the mud".

It seems that magnetite helps direction finding in animals and helps migratory species migrate successfully by allowing them to draw upon the earth's magnetic fields. But scientists are not sure how they do this.

In any case, when it comes to humans, according to some experts, magnetite makes the ethmoid bone sensitive to the earth's magnetic field and helps your sense of direction.

Some, such as Dr Dennis J Walmsley and W Epps from the Department of Human Geography of the Australian National University in Canberra writing in Perceptual and Motor Skills as far back as in 1987, have even suggested that this "compass" was helpful in human evolution as it made migration and hunting easier.

Following this fascinating factoid, science journalist Marc McCutcheon entitled a book The Compass in Your Nose and Other Astonishing Facts.

Do humans have a compass in their nose? | The Register
    Then our airport must have a very strong magnetic field around it as I always end up there. First time scared the bejesus out of me as I can around a curve just as a jet flew about 20 feet over the road. I had no idea I was even close to the airport, but the runway is right next to the road and that plane literally touched down next to me. Good thing we live near the airport or I'd never make it home.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

To bring up a few days old topic... My laptop and my desktops have names... The laptop is named BratDalek. It's an in joke with a group of my friends on IRC. If we're on a "Dalek" nickname, it means we're on our laptops and on the move. The desktop is usually called "God-You-Freaking-Piece-O-Crap!"
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2805769;
    Oooh -- burning hair? Stinky!!!
    Same thing I thought--unfortunately I know all about burning hair smells.
    Misskitty, just say no to cat fur firestarters!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Same thing I thought--unfortunately I know all about burning hair smells.
    My beard has been on fire twice I can't recommend the experience

It was 14 years ago today that I bought my little slice of heaven--50 acres of very tired wheat field. Since then, I've planted it in prairie grass, put in a wood lot, planted a 300-tree windbreak, dug a pond, built a house, and sniff buried my beloved Bjorn
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

+ Reply to Thread