+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6753Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Karen,

While I know you'd like a paid off car. I honestly think that having a new one and all that snow and ice you drive in, I would feel better knowing you are in something safe. I do know that when an older car starts to have problems, they really start to add up expense wise.

It doesn't hurt to go to the dealer and check things out for a new car and then make a decision after you get their info.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Something amazing to share with everybody.

Ilana Yahav - Sand Fantasy - Video Clips

I am one of those people who thinks buying a new car is a waste of thousands of good dollars. I usually go for something about 2 years old, reputable and reliable (Toyota being my personal preference...I can go older than 2 years with a 'Yota)), that has a lot of it's bugs worked out already. It just annoys me that I am losing money on a new car the moment that I drive it off the lot; you lose an instant 20% (I think) even if you've just signed the contract. I've had new cars...I think I'm now choosing smarter. And, if you are single, you not only need a basic cell phone, but also the peace of mind that a road service will bring.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 02-17-2008 at 12:51 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Gutmutter, it sounds like you are already in the groove of making car payments so if you can make the new car work financially, I would definitely give that serious consideration. Just think of the peace of mind you would have with a new car.

A change of topic, our local paper had a front-page article today about the Kansas Food Bank's program of giving backpacks of food to kids who need them to get them through the weekend. This article was so touching. There are apparently alot of kids out there who eat little or nothing over the weekend. Sounds like this program can make a big difference in these kids' lives and can even improve their performance in school. I know some of you out there are teachers or work in schools or with kids. Is this a big problem where you are as well? I'm not a wealthy person by any means but I think this is a program I would like to support financially. The thought of hungry kids out there just makes me so sad.
    Kansas.com | 02/17/2008 | Backpacks feed about 3,500 kids every week

Thanks to all who chimed in for me. I desperately want a cell phone, but my oldest daughter got hers before she was 18 so my name is on her contract and she doesn't want to change her number. I think she looked into it and we would both have to go into a verizon store to make the change (she lives in Florida). I suppose I could always get a completely different contract with another brand. Does anyone have a plan/phone they love? I tend to do driving in zones that are very hilly and lose signals (north of Amherst, west of Fitchburg). Is there a phone that's better for those conditions? I cleaned out the car just now in case everything works and I'm driving home in a new car tomorrow. Is this something too shallow for a prayer request?
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter - I had a friend who had the same car as you, a Hyundai Tiburon and she loved it. She had hers for 7 years without any major problems, and then she had one big problem. I think it was the transmission, and that would have cost $1600 to fix. She had saved money for the 3 years she didn't have a car payment and had a nice down payment for a new car. So maybe you want to drive your Tiburon until it dies, and save up for a down payment on a new(er) car. But whatever you do, I suggest you get a cell phone also. Even if you are driving a new car, something could go wrong and it would not be fun to be stranded.

Gutmutter - I hope it works out for you. Asking for a prayer for something that will provide you peace of mind and safety is not shallow!

My son has Verizon because they supposedly have a wide range of coverage. He's had other service providers and says he gets the best coverage with Verizon.

If you like Verizon, I don't see why you can't have two contracts with the same provider. I'd check into it on your end just to see what they can do for you. And ask if your daughter can have it swapped to her name and keep the same number (if the initial contract period is up and she's just paying for a plan without a contract it might be easy for them to switch it). I don't see why you would have to be in the same state as her to get things swapped around. But then again, I've never been in that situation.

I don't use a cell phone often at all so I have one of those pay-as-you-go phones. It's a Tracfone (TRACFONE Nationwide Prepaid Wireless) and I just buy minutes when I need them. You can buy the phones at places like Walmart or online directly at the site. The only catch is that you can't let too many months go by without purchasing minutes or else you'll lose your service. But they've gotten better over the years and you can buy extra time to keep that from happening. For someone like me, it still comes out much cheaper then buying a monthly plan with one of the big provider services. When I need more minutes I just go online and buy them and they are instantly downloaded to the phone. Back in the day you used to have to punch in a zillion numbers to get the minutes downloaded but now it's quick and easy.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 02-17-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Gutmutter -

As regards cell phones, a good way to try out different providers is to go with the drug-dealer phones (pay-as-you-go, no contract) until you find a company that you like. That way, if something sucks, you're not locked into a contract.

When I was the only one with a cell phone, I used Verizon's pay-as-you-go. No contracts; just add minutes when necessary. It wasn't very expensive; since I only used it to let clients know I'd be a few minutes late, quick check-ins with home/office, or to call AAA with my old car. I think I averaged about $15 a month. It was nice to not be locked into a contract.

We tried TracFone for awhile when hubby wanted a cell phone, and we hated it. The customer service was almost always nonexistent, and when it was existent, it was bad bad bad.

After trying different things, we settled on Verizon because it works reasonably well in our area (except at our apartment -- and according to our neigbors, NOBODY gets a decent signal in our apartments, no matter what plan we're on), and they have great customer service.

But arm yourself with some sort of cell phone -- old car, new car, no car. You just never know. And these days (at least in San Diego), it's getting harder and harder to find working pay phones.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I used to have one of those and they stopped servicing our area. I guess as soon as my tax return hits the checking account (any day now) I'll get myself into a store and start asking questions.
    Count your blessings!

Gutmutter- I've bought 2 cars in the past 3 years. Long story, don't want to go into it. But I do have advice on buying a car.

You can do 99% of your shopping online. That being said, if you're going to trade in you current vehicle-KNOW the value of the tradein before you go. You can go to Edmunds, Kelly blue book and another one. (can't remember the name) You'll get 3 different numbers. Print out that info and take it with you. Be firm on your price because they will try everything to lowball you. Last dealership brought out a handy dandy "real time" value info gadget and tried to tell me that their info was more up to date than mine. Not true. My trade in value hadn't changed in the 4 months prior because we had been watching it closelly, It sure didn't change in the 3 hours I'd been sitting in the dealership.

Also if you're buying new, you can go to Hyuandi website and price your new car with the options you want. And get a firm price from that.

I'd say don't even go into a dealership until you have those numbers in front of you. Do all you communicating with them from email. That takes sooo much pressure off of you. If they start with the "Oh, I need to run this by the sales manager, blah blah crap" Be prepared to walk. Be VERY firm on what you want and are willing to pay. Even better, arrange your financing BEFORE you go. We went with a loan thru our bank. Walked in the dealership with a check...really took the wind out of their sails (or sales if you prefer).

Buying a car is really no fun at all. All the time you spend on educating yourself will be well worth it.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Also, Gut, check for "specials" on cars. We bought a Mazda while they were doing their 0% interest on a five year plan. It lowers the price significantly when you don't have to pay interest. I also bought a demo model (the salesperson drove it). It was a 2008, but had 7000km on it. Cost me less, but it's not "used".

+ Reply to Thread