+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6435Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Has anyone ever used "Hooked on Phonics"? If so, can you advise on the ins and outs?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2796819;
    My son's school uses them for the spanish class and he swears they are the best thing he's ever heard/learned from.
    Thanks. It's also an audio thing as well so you can learn to speak and learn pronunciation right?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2796597;
    I have survived. Middle school teachers all must have a special place in heaven waiting for them.
    Yes we do - it's called February vacation and it started at 2:00 yesterday. Ahhhhhhhhh. I'm glad you survived. The Hollywood history reference was too funny (and true).
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2796953;
    Has anyone ever used "Hooked on Phonics"? If so, can you advise on the ins and outs?
    We used Hooked on Phonics years ago when my son was having a little difficulty. It was expensive, but worth every penny. There are directions that tell you how to do everything. He was reading like a pro in no time. I highly recommend it.

MRD the back door on the bus (assuming it was an emergency exit) has an alarm that sounds when it is open, a loud buzzer. But with a load of talking junior high kids the driver probably couldn't hear it. Of course there is also a light that goes on (which is on the dash board) so maybe the driver is blind too. I hope you'all complained to the bus company. That is just stupidity and inexperience, not to mention could've been a kid falling out instead of the lunches.

The more I am around that age of kids, the more I enjoy them.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2797393;
    MRD the back door on the bus (assuming it was an emergency exit) has an alarm that sounds when it is open, a loud buzzer. But with a load of talking junior high kids the driver probably couldn't hear it. Of course there is also a light that goes on (which is on the dash board) so maybe the driver is blind too. I hope you'all complained to the bus company. That is just stupidity and inexperience, not to mention could've been a kid falling out instead of the lunches.

The more I am around that age of kids, the more I enjoy them.
    I actually prefer the 5th graders to any of the other age groups we work with.

These kids came from a small town outside of where we live. I saw the buses and they were all older type school buses. So have no idea about how the lunches spilled out. Just know that they did and had to have replacements. I'm assuming that the coolers were loaded from the back and whoever did it didn't shut the door properly. I thought the same thing about a kid falling out the back.

Gut, hope you enjoy your break.

I have really enjoyed working with the kids and have been able to find ways to make things more "personalized" for them so they understand it better. You could see the light bulbs switching on when I mentioned Sweeny Todd.
    Most kids think history is the most boring subject in the world, but when you can reach them on their level with something they can understand they really get into it and their excitement is contagious. And I feel frustrated that some of the other volunteers don't get this. They look at the school field trips as a necessary evil and I've heard some of them and I want to fall over in a coma because they don't try to make it interesting.

I've been asked to help do the volunteer training workshop coming up and I'm hoping I can try to convey some of this. When they get to the museum, they are coming from a classroom with a history book and a teacher. We have so many great exhibits and personal stories that its our chance to make it come alive for them and I think that sometimes we miss that opportunity to make it more interesting for them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Here are some tips for your presentation MRD - if there is a troublemaker, learn his/her name. Calling someone by their name is very effective. Having them interested actually makes your job easier!! It's when they're bored that they find trouble to get into. The Socratic method of learning (asking leading questions) is proven over time to be the best. KWL works (find out what they already know, what they want to know, and ask afterwards what they have learned). If you have just made a salient point that you want them to remember ask someone to repeat what you have just said.("So you in the red shirt, what was the reason for establishing...?"). If you have engaged kids, it reinforces how smart they are. Everyone likes to answer correctly.
    Count your blessings!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

It's not so much that history is boring. As I recall, like has been indicated, it's the person teaching it that is boring. Sometimes, learning a little "dirt" behind a subject really helps! Your presentation is really important! No Monotones Allowed!!! I had a monotone teacher for algebra and geometry. I, voluntarily, went to summer school rather than sit through a semester with that woman!! I simply could not stay focused enough to learn with that woman; I got As in summer school...and grew to really love it in college! I went to a small school (200 students), so I really didn't have any option (but summer school) to choose another teacher.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

My schedule just got changed, i reckon for the greater good. However, Work is still boring as hell and i have very little human contact. Hell, the mail keeps me company.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2797361;
    Thanks. It's also an audio thing as well so you can learn to speak and learn pronunciation right?
    I believe they say the words in the program on the computer for proper pronunciation mrd.
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread