+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6997Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2790151;
    I have a pet peeve today, myself: people who don't shovel their walks. We've had massive amounts of snow lately, and it is now -17, so all those lumpy hillocks of snow strewn in front of every third house (it seems) have now frozen into rock hard gullies and boulders and my feet and knees are in agony. I usually walk down the middle of the street when we have a lot of snow just because of those lazy buggers, but the volume/freezing has made that just as difficult and painful to navigate. A pox on them all.
    My pet peeve this morning is people who run their snowblowers at all hours of the night. I could hear several going long after 11pm last night and was awoken by one very close by at 5:47am this morning!!!!

I'm laughing so hard I could pee my pants. Does anyone get Prevention magazine? I got the newest issue in the mail yesterday and guess what the newest weight loss breakthrough discovery is?? potatoes, rice, and corn!!! (page 83, if you're waiting in line at the grocery store). They contain "resistant starch" (the catch is, they have to be cold, so think potato salad, rice for breakfast, corn relish). It resists digestion, makes you feel full, increases fat burning, controls blood sugar, boosts immunity, and may even fight cancer.
    Count your blessings!

Well, the natives of Peru have it exactly right then... They eat a lot of corn, potatoes, and sweet potatoes. All cold. The rice is warm though.

Since I started changing my eating habits in order to achieve a healthier and (hopefully) thinner body, I made a point of monitoring my weight with respect to how various foods affect my weight on at least a short term basis. Pasta? Bad. Immediate weight gain. Ditto with bread, and basically anything made with flour, white or whole grain. Potatoes, on the other hand, have no adverse affect on my weight whatsoever. And since they are one of my favourite foods AND they're really nutritious, it was a double woo hoo moment to discover that.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I swear, there is nothing more depressing than having to think about/worry about everything that you have to put in your mouth for the rest of your life. I'm telling you if I have to deprive myself of something that I really, really like, and I die a month later (say I get hit by a bus ) after having deprived myself of something that I dearly love.......I am going to be one pi$$ed off dead person!!!! I'll probably have to take a time out on the "naughty spot" before they let finally me into heaven!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Anyone remember the Woody Allen film where he is thawed out from frozen in the future and it turns out the things we thought were bad for us are really good? I remember steak and ice cream being two of them. Anyone remember others? So lean steak is good if you're on a low carb diet (Atkins, South Beach) and ice cream is good if it's low fat (or frozen yogurt) because dairy has calcium and helps you lose weight. Alcohol is good (in moderation). The only thing I can't ever imagine having a flip is cigarette smoking.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2792825;
    I swear, there is nothing more depressing than having to think about/worry about everything that you have to put in your mouth for the rest of your life.
    It depresses the hell out of me, too, but I had to give up pasta except for the most special of occasions. You would not believe the size of the ass that rigatoni built.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I try to think of the things I really like that are good for me - clementines, nuts, veggie soup, V8 juice, etc. I do have that Pollyanna side to me. "Let's play the Glad Game!"
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2792358;
    I'm fairly sure my mother, who just retired as a sixth grade teacher, used that tactic on field trips too. Act up, have to hang with the teacher. Very effective.
    The problem we have with a lot of the teachers is that they think once they enter the museum, they then have a 2 hour break in which to do NOTHING. Not all are like this and usually there are a lot of chaperones.

I usually don't have too much of a problem making kids behave. It's some kind of inner gift. My daughter says I have a magic finger that I can just point and all the mischief stops. But the problem lies when we have a BIG group and the middleschoolers were a group of 50 with about 10-12 chaperones and the chaperones can be just as clueless as the teachers sometimes and don't pay attention to the students.

The staff laughs at me because I'm the only volunteer that usually speaks up to any of the kids. Most of the other volunteers act scared to death of the school groups. I have no problem speaking up at all.

The hand holding thing sounds great. I may have to try that.

Schmoo, thank goodness you weren't hurt. That had to be scary.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2791704;
    this is a multiple topic post.

#1 - how stupid was I?
    we have a new glass top stove (along with other new stuff in my kitchen) - but none of my large flat plans will work with it (warped) - I have been putting off getting new cookware -
    tonight was grilled cheese and tomato soup.
    little pan I was grilling the cheese in didn't lay flat on the stove, so I pulled out a heavy glass pie pan.
    It exploded!!! glass shards in 3 rooms to clean up now, and all over my new kitchen (stove, countertop, sink) and anything sitting out. not a piece over 1 inch sq. Hubby is finishing cleaning it up because my asthma has kicked in over the stress, trying to get to all the places, and I was already dealing with some stomach problems (plus his 'suggestions' were really starting to piss me off.
    so, no soup , no sandwiches, and I have a lot of dishes to clean up. :cry

#2 -Time to get new cookware --

so. I am looking for suggestions for cookware to use with a glass top stove. (and hoping I didin't damage it in the explosion).
    I'm not too worried about cost - functionality is more important at this point.
    What a mess. I have a flat top stove and highly recommend the hard andonized cookware from QVC too. Got it last Oct. and it works wonderfully.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

+ Reply to Thread