+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7207Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Glad you weren't hurt, schmoo! I had a glass dish do the same thing years ago, I was amazed at how far the shards flew. Scared the tar out of me.

I recommend Calphalon stuff, too. I've never had one warp and they've held their finish for years (I have the anodized)...love cooking with them.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I've got the Cook's Essentials anodized cookware from QVC and I love it. they also have it hard coat enamel. The thing I like about it is that the pans are heavy duty.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I've got Members Mark from Sam's Club. Heavy. Anodized. Very reasonably priced.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

wow - so sorry, schomoo! Who knew? I would have never thought...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2791110;
    Middleschoolers are hard. We had a class of them in the museum last week and they act worse than the 3rd grade.
    I grew up in Connecticut, so when my sister and I were younger, we'd have a field trip a year to someplace in NYC (usually a museum). My mom used to chaperone a lot of my sister's trips, and she'd get some real terrors in her groups. Her tactic? At the beginning of the trip, my mom would gather her group and tell them that if they didn't behave themselves properly, they would have to hold her hand while they were at the museum. She was absolutely serious, too. It worked like a charm! And, it improves with age-- the older the kid, the more mortifying the prospect of having to hold her hand for a day.

Dang, schmoo, I know that was no fun! I had a Club Aluminum pan that wa on a stove eye that shorted out one time, and it blasted out a round plug about half the size of a dime--I wasn't in the room but it scared the %$#@ out of me....
    I'm glad no one got hurt, and you just have a story to tell now!

Amy Lee, I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm sure it's hard for you--and if you ever see a short story called The Yellow Wallpaper (by Charlotte Perkins Gilman,), do NOT read it!
    Last edited by queenb; 02-13-2008 at 12:57 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by schmoo2;2791704;
    I am looking for suggestions for cookware to use with a glass top stove. (and hoping I didin't damage it in the explosion).
    I'm not too worried about cost - functionality is more important at this point.
    Shmoo2, I have several Allclad pans that work great on the glass cooktop. But any brand with a heavier bottom will do (Caphalon, etc.). Also, even if you go a little on the thinner bottomed side, as long as you start with new, level pans, they should be alright as long as your burners heat evenly. I don't have a problem with even heating--in fact, I think the glass cooktop helps keep the heat even.

Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2792252;
    I grew up in Connecticut, so when my sister and I were younger, we'd have a field trip a year to someplace in NYC (usually a museum). My mom used to chaperone a lot of my sister's trips, and she'd get some real terrors in her groups. Her tactic? At the beginning of the trip, my mom would gather her group and tell them that if they didn't behave themselves properly, they would have to hold her hand while they were at the museum. She was absolutely serious, too. It worked like a charm! And, it improves with age-- the older the kid, the more mortifying the prospect of having to hold her hand for a day.
    I'm fairly sure my mother, who just retired as a sixth grade teacher, used that tactic on field trips too. Act up, have to hang with the teacher. Very effective.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy;2792358;
    I'm fairly sure my mother, who just retired as a sixth grade teacher, used that tactic on field trips too. Act up, have to hang with the teacher. Very effective.
    My mother used the same kind of tactic to keep me from ditching class. She said if I didn't get my butt to school, she go with me every day and sit next to me in all my classes. That pretty much did it for me

about cats being told where to sleep. Mine sleep where they want, when they want. I've picked my battle and the kitchen surfaces are off limits.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2792328;
    Amy Lee, I've never heard of such a thing, but I'm sure it's hard for you--and if you ever see a short story called The Yellow Wallpaper (by Charlotte Perkins Gilman,), do NOT read it!
    I had to go back a page to see why that was directed at Amy Lee (fear of patterns) but I'll second that! I had to read it in a grad class on disability in literature (excellent class) and wowza! I have used the holding hands bit with my middle school kids. When I take my 6th graders to lunch the 7th graders are coming back and earlier this year high 5s were getting out of hand between the two grades, so I told them if it didn't stop they would have to hold my hand all the way down to lunch. Everyone stopped except one out of control (but luckily giggly, not evil) kid. He had to hold my hand past the rest of the 7th graders, the principal, the other 6th grade classes. He took it like a champ and never high 5-ed again. Last week my current 6th grade class was learning the Spanish/French rule that "adjectives to after the words they describe". I make every grade level chant that in a zombie monotone every year and every time they don't do it on the board, so I got the idea on the way to lunch when the entire length of the hall was filled with 7th graders to yell, "Hey 7th graders! Where do adjectives go?" and they all responded like zombies, "After the words they describe." I have to admit it freaked the 6th graders out a little bit.
    Last edited by Gutmutter; 02-13-2008 at 06:35 AM.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread