+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6277Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2790355;
    I take it you don't have a bylaw that forces people to shovel their front walks? There's an $85 fine here if you don't do it within 48 hours of the snowfall. Since we moved here, I've never been so vigilant about shovelling.
    Oh no, we have a bylaw. That would be Appendix A to my original pet peeve - the city doesn't get out there and fine, fine, fine. Granted, they have nearly a million households to monitor, but my feeling is that they should always be monitoring whatever streets I live on/choose to walk on .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2790362;
    Oh no, we have a bylaw. That would be Appendix A to my original pet peeve - the city doesn't get out there and fine, fine, fine. Granted, they have nearly a million households to monitor, but my feeling is that they should always be monitoring whatever streets I live on/choose to walk on .
    We have the same problem. You are responsible for shoveling your walkway. Homeowners get fined but not businesses. It is insane.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

MRD

They should make it where they can appoint people in neighborhoods to do it. In Florida, so many people were using the handicapped spaces that some communities actually formed squads of retirees to drive around and monitor handicapped spaces. I can't remember if they could issue tickets, or take photos of the offenders car and license or just how they did it, but once the patrols started and tickets got issued, people stopped parking in the handicapped spaces. Seems like a sidewalk group could do the same thing.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Who would you guys trust, a crook lawyer or an incompetent one?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2790401;
    Who would you guys trust, a crook lawyer or an incompetent one?
    Well given that choice? I'd take the crook over the incompetent. Sorry, but at least the crook presumably knows what he's doing if he can figure out a way to get around the legal way of doing it.

The incompetent presumably doesn't even know the correct legal way of doing it.

If I was facing jail time, I'd definetly take the crook over the incompetent thinking the crook might keep me out of jail while I would have to appeal a guilty verdict on the grounds of having incompetent legal counsel.

Preferably, I'd rather have a competent non-crooked lawyer.

And I hope I am never faced with the possibility of facing jail time with ANY kind of lawyer representing me.

ETA: Ok, my curiosity is killing me. Why the question? That is, if you feel comfortable sharing, or is this one of those philosophical questions?
    Last edited by MRD; 02-11-2008 at 03:42 PM.

In my town, the squeaky wheel principal applies. If there are enough complaints about a property, the city comes out and shovels it for them and charges a hefty amount for the privilege.

We used to live three houses away from a man who was blind and used a guide dog to go all over town. He regularly complained to the city about them not enforcing the ordinance. I think his mentioning something about legal action and the ADA(?) caused them to follow up on complaints better.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

ETA: Ok, my curiosity is killing me. Why the question? That is, if you feel comfortable sharing, or is this one of those philosophical questions?
    I asked my friend some weeks ago because i feel that either way, you're screwed.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2790343;
    I once was showering and all of a sudden a very large black spider came crawlig down the side of the shower. I freaked out and screamed so loud for my son to come! He finally came in and I was cowering in the corner pointing at the spider telling him to get it! He laughed for days after that.
    So I take it that your User ID/Name is an ironic one?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2790426;
    I asked my friend some weeks ago because i feel that either way, you're screwed.
    Probably, but I still think you stand a better chance with the crooked lawyer than the incompetent.

But then how do you tell. Presumably you can't always tell up front that they are incompetent until they've screwed something up and its too late and same for the crook I guess. Although, I'm assuming you'd have a better chance of finding out the crooked lawyer was crooked before he screwed things up.

This is actually pretty interesting as I know quite a few lawyers and some are incompetent and some are crooked but most are quite capable and straight.
    But I was in a business for most of my life that we worked with lawyers and also lived in a small town so I dealt with all the lawyers at one time or another and most had been guests in my parents home as my parents entertained a lot for their business and since we dealt with lawyers.... well you got to know who to trust and who not too.

But that's small town life for just about any profession. Impossible to tell in a larger city unless you work in that field or related to it.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2790431;
    So I take it that your User ID/Name is an ironic one?
    Spiderhater was probably already taken.

+ Reply to Thread