+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6755Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

mrd, if you all get a chance to do a program on the Tuskeegee Airmen, really encourage it. They are fascinating.

And, on a side note, the people in your house only leave that chaos in your kitchen because they know that they can get away with it!!! Boy, it would be showtime at my house!! I guess I'm not one to suffer silently....everybody is going to be unhappy!!! And I wouldn't cook for a few days, either!!! (Of course, I don't cook much anyway, but a good sit-in (after all, it is Black History month) can work wonders!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2785882;
    mrd, if you all get a chance to do a program on the Tuskeegee Airmen, really encourage it. They are fascinating.
    One of the Tuskeegee Airmen is an usher at a lot of University of Washington sporting events. It's so much fun talking to him about going to the White House a few years ago for a ceremony to honor the Airmen and about his whole experience.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

Quote Originally Posted by veejer;2784363;
    I have beef stew in the crock pot for tomorrow night. I'll cook it today when I have time, then let those flavors mix in the fridge until tomorrow, then reheat it.
    I used my slow cooker for the first time yesterday while I was at work! I normally watch it on Sundays because I am still a little freaked out about leaving an appliance on all day and not being there. It was only Noon til 6PM or so and the roast was awesome!!!! The smells of the roast throughout the house when I walked in was just heavenly and the roast was very, very tender and juicy. The best thing is that it was ready to eat when I got home and normally I spend about 30-40 min cooking dinner each night. I will definitely be doing this again!

Premium Member

PGM - check out those Reynolds Slow Cooker liners. It saves a ton of cleanup - sometimes the inside of the crockpot needs wiping out but for the most part you toss the bag in the trash and you're done.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I buy those boxes of liners 2 at a time! They are such a good idea!

PGM, glad you've learned to relax with your slow cooker! You two have bonded! That's the whole idea!

By the way, I also know that the Tuskeegee Airmen were also known as "the red tails" due to their planes markings! And it's my understanding that they never lost a plane. These guys are absolutely fascinating, and they are dying off quickly, so if you get a chance to listen to them....do not miss it! It's living history.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 02-07-2008 at 12:34 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Well it was showtime here. I got up this morning and went to the museum and stayed almost all day. Amazingly the kitchen was cleaned up when I got home and I also told them I am NOT cooking tonight either.
    I don't stand for this and they know it. I didn't even have to say anything, I just left and I left a note saying dinner was "fend for yourself".

I have seen one of the Tuskeegee Airmen speak and he was amazing. They are a great group of men and I've also read several books about them.
    All of our WWII vets are dying off quickly. Anytime I get so see any of them, I consider it an honor.

Here is an interesting note that has NOTHING to do with history.
    We had 4 field trips today at the musuem. The last one was 8th graders. One of the parent chaperones was talking to me about one of the displays and asking questions. We ended up kind of hanging back from the main group talking about that particular exhibit. He mentioned he was from Memphis and I asked what brought him to Greenville. Well he came here to open strip clubs. He started telling me that he has found that clubs like that tend to do REALLY well in areas that are supposedly "conservative and religious". Well I, of course, had to ask questions. I should really learn when to shut up.
    But he ended up giving me his card and saying: "bring your husband in and I'll buy you a drink". I came home, dropped the card on my husbands lap and he looks at it, looks at me and says: "is there something you want to tell me? I thought you were at the museum today?"
    I always seem to meet the most interesting and different people.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2786096;
    All of our WWII vets are dying off quickly. Anytime I get so see any of them, I consider it an honor.
    A couple of weeks ago I was at the funeral for a gentleman from our church who was a retired Lt. Col. from WWII and I thought of you. He was buried in his uniform and it still fit!!! I was not able to make the graveside service, but heard that the presentation of the flag and the 15 gun salute were both very moving.

Quote Originally Posted by PGM35;2785906;
    I used my slow cooker for the first time yesterday while I was at work! I normally watch it on Sundays because I am still a little freaked out about leaving an appliance on all day and not being there. It was only Noon til 6PM or so and the roast was awesome!!!! The smells of the roast throughout the house when I walked in was just heavenly and the roast was very, very tender and juicy. The best thing is that it was ready to eat when I got home and normally I spend about 30-40 min cooking dinner each night. I will definitely be doing this again!
    Was the roast already thawed when you put it in the slowcooker, PGM35? Ive heard of some people adding water to roasts in slowcookers. Did you?
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Congrats Amy Lee on the new job!

PGM: Yay! Another slow-cooker supporter!

myrosiedog: Wow. Sounds like a great day at the museum! Only you would end up meeting a guy who opens strip clubs!

I've been having server problems too. No-one will serve me.
    ----------

On another note, I just wanted to send my prayers to all those affected by the awful tornados in the south. Meowza! We lost 28 lives in a matter of minutes when we were hit just over 10 years ago. No warning. Never experienced it before. It's terrible and the devestation of homes and families takes a very long time to heal. Blessings to all who live in the places hit this week.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Tornadoes are very scary things. I lived in tornado alley for a bunch of years and I saw a couple of touchdowns. I was a teenager and invincible at the time, no way would I go outside now. My husband has a hard time understanding why I'm more afraid of twisters than hurricanes, but you have a lot of warning before a hurricane and just a few minutes for a tornado. I will never live in Missouri, Oklahoma, or Kansas because of my fear. Too many nights spent in basements and bathtubs. That's just not for me. So I share your sentiments, misskitty, bless those who went through the terror recently.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

+ Reply to Thread