+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6403Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #7021
    FORT Fogey Ellen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    6,113

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    If I were back in M'waukee with my Polish-American family, we'd be celebrating Mardi Gras/Carnivale/Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday -- except we'd call it "Paczki (spelled with a cedilla under the "a," in order to palatalize the vowel sound, but I don't know how to do it on my keyboard) Day -- by eating paczki , a fried, sugar-covered, stuffed doughnut. (Except I don't like doughnuts anymore.) This would be followed by forty days of "give-ups" for Lent. (Except I'm not Catholic anymore . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

  2. #7022
    FORT Fogey brunette trixie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,440

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2781800;
    Whenever I hear "American Girl," I think of Silence of the Lambs.
    Me, too! I still like the song though. I also like "Don't Come Around Here No More" and "Wildflowers".

    I didn't watch the halftime show, did Paul Abdul perform?

  3. #7023
    Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,081

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2781018;
    Since allergic reactions can bring you close to death and/or kill....I sure hope you can identify the difference between food poisoning and allergic reactions! Either way, I think I would have been in somebody's ER, with your symptoms.


    That's the thing though, this isn't the first time i've had Potato salad. The first time i have my mom's though(which i ate over several days and it was left uncovered in the fridge for 2 of those days). My first allergic reaction happened while eating a hot pocket. I also unknowingly took an antihistamine. I had a cold on saturday so i bought cold medication that had Diphenhydramine(antihistamine) . This is also the agent that helps you sleep...
    I was holding the packet while the sickness insued, what are the odds?
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  4. #7024
    Trouble in my life just1paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    In Ms. Troubles life and apartment
    Age
    56
    Posts
    9,544

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2782025;
    If I were back in M'waukee with my Polish-American family, we'd be celebrating Mardi Gras/Carnivale/Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday -- except we'd call it "Paczki (spelled with a cedilla under the "a," in order to palatalize the vowel sound, but I don't know how to do it on my keyboard) Day -- by eating paczki , a fried, sugar-covered, stuffed doughnut. (Except I don't like doughnuts anymore.) This would be followed by forty days of "give-ups" for Lent. (Except I'm not Catholic anymore . . .)

    Punskha - is the best way I can type to pronounce.. Yes. Even though I am not Catholic nor Polish, I still eat a few every year.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

    Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

  5. #7025
    FORT Fogey PGM35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Round Rock, TX
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,414

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2782025;
    If I were back in M'waukee with my Polish-American family, we'd be celebrating Mardi Gras/Carnivale/Shrove Tuesday/Fat Tuesday -- except we'd call it "Paczki (spelled with a cedilla under the "a," in order to palatalize the vowel sound, but I don't know how to do it on my keyboard) Day -- by eating paczki , a fried, sugar-covered, stuffed doughnut. (Except I don't like doughnuts anymore.) This would be followed by forty days of "give-ups" for Lent. (Except I'm not Catholic anymore . . .)

    I went to a Carnaval celebration in Austin, TX Saturday night. I had a great time. So many off the wall costumes. It was a lot of fun!

  6. #7026
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,300

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2782046;
    That's the thing though, this isn't the first time i've had Potato salad. The first time i have my mom's though(which i ate over several days and it was left uncovered in the fridge for 2 of those days). My first allergic reaction happened while eating a hot pocket. I also unknowingly took an antihistamine. I had a cold on saturday so i bought cold medication that had Diphenhydramine(antihistamine) . This is also the agent that helps you sleep...
    I was holding the packet while the sickness insued, what are the odds?

    Just keep in mind that because you've never had an allergic reaction to certain things in the past, that doesn't mean that you won't develop an allergy to it. If you ever have any symptoms like you had the last time, get to an ER, or call 911 Time can be very critical. When you were trying to walk, and had to sit down...that is not a good sign. The swelling of the lips and the itching....all not good signs. I also want to warn you against opting to treat yourself, if that is going to delay you getting medical help (we like to treat ourselves and wait to see if it's going to get better.) This is one of those times when EMS really wants to see you! They can, possibly, save your life! This is really different from people just "getting a ride" to the hospital, when there is no critical component.

    Also know that it is possible to be allergic to Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCl) -- this is one of the drugs that is commonly given for serious/severe allergic reactions. You sound like you would benefit from a work-up by an allergist. Better to know what you have to stay away from. Like: What is in the Hot Pocket that made you sick?
    Last edited by prhoshay; 02-04-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  7. #7027
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2782127;
    Just keep in mind that because you've never had an allergic reaction to certain things in the past, that doesn't mean that you won't develop an allergy to it. If you ever have any symptoms like you had the last time, get to an ER, or call 911 Time can be very critical. When you were trying to walk, and had to sit down...that is not a good sign. The swelling of the lips and the itching....all not good signs. I also want to warn you against opting to treat yourself, if that is going to delay you getting medical help (we like to treat ourselves and wait to see if it's going to get better.) This is one of those times when EMS really wants to see you! They can, possibly, save your life! This is really different from people just "getting a ride" to the hospital, when there is no critical component.

    Also know that it is possible to be allergic to Benadryl (diphenhydramine HCl) -- this is one of the drugs that is commonly given for serious/severe allergic reactions. You sound like you would benefit from a work-up by an allergist. Better to know what you have to stay away from. Like: What is in the Hot Pocket that made you sick?
    All good points. My husband was never allergic to poultry until he was 15, now he's deathly allergic. Because he's dealt with allergies his whole life he can tell when he's becoming allergic to something. Some squash he can eat but feels like the mild reaction is getting worse each time he eats it, so he stays away from it. It's like each exposure to it is making the problem worse. And that may be what is happening with something in the potato salad. It sounded to me like an allergic reaction when I read what happened rather than food poisoning. If I were you I'd try to isolate the componants of the ingredients to see what it is you are allergic to. Since MrCoz was 15 and had been eating all the stuff with chicken for a long time it actually took awhile to figure out what it was that caused it. What made it worse was his mother didn't believe him. which I cannot figure out because he had severe allergies to bananas and melons since he was five.

    The other thing I thought was that if the pototo salad was too old that perhaps some type of mold was developing that just wasn't visible yet. That's important to know because that will affect what medicines you can take (penicillin).

    btw, I am now allergic to amoxicillin (sp?). I was able to take it when I was a teenager just fine, but had an allergic reaction to it after my daughter was born. Allergies can just develop and show up at any time.

  8. #7028
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Food allergies can be really difficult to figure out. I have hives now after eating some things, but can't figure out what it is.

    And additives like MSG can cause allergies too.

    And allergies do change. Just because you could eat it 2 years ago doesn't mean you could eat it now.

    Also the more exposure to something, the more of an allergy you can build up.

    Good luck with it Amy Lee. Be careful next time.

    Sounds to me like it could be something maybe in the mayo that is also in the hot pocket, like maybe a preservative or something like MSG, etc.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  9. #7029
    FORT Fogey Missyboxers's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    31
    Posts
    4,038

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I agree with these ladies. I'm not a doctor, but I've been getting shots for 2+ years for environmental allergies and I've had a couple relatively mild reactions, one of which was delayed. In either case, the doctors always stress that it's much better to come in and be checked out rather than trying to figure it out for yourself.

    I agree also that you might benefit from a full workup. It may take some time to pinpoint the source of your allergy, but it's well worth it so you know what to avoid. They may also give you an epi-pen, in case you accidentally ingest the substance and begin to have a reaction again--it can be that serious. When it comes to allergies, you don't want to tough it out on your own-- it's really important that you are proactive.

    And it also sounded a lot like an allergy to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought food poisoning tended to involve .... repeated attempts to purge the body of the toxin (vomiting and the like)?

  10. #7030
    FORT Fogey justCoz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,981

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Missyboxers;2782295;
    And it also sounded a lot like an allergy to me. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought food poisoning tended to involve .... repeated attempts to purge the body of the toxin (vomiting and the like)?
    That was the other thing that made me think it was an allergic reaction and not food poisoning because the one and only time I know I've had food poisoning it was just like you described--for my whole family. Very violent vomiting. My dad was the only one that didn't eat the cake and was the one that ended up taking care of the 4 females in the house. From what I know my extended family also had the cake and had the same reaction. Made me swear off cream cheese icing for a long time My poor aunt felt so bad, but the really terrible thing was she had paid for the cake.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.