+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6756Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by livin4reality;2778769;
    My tax question: Can you deduct health insurance premiums? I know medical has to be a certain % of your AGI-and we fit that with just our medical bills alone. But premiums? The $300 we pay monthly to Blue Cross really adds up.
    Depending on your situation, probably yes. But talk to your tax pro to find out which rules apply to you. Stuff that factors in are employee vs. self-employed; if employee, are the premiums a pre-tax deduction (in which case, probably not, because tax wasn't withheld on that amount, but ask a tax expert anyway); if self-employed, a certain percentage counts as a business expense on Schedule C, while the rest of it can be figured in with your other medical expenses on your itemized 1040.

But do check with a tax expert -- with any luck, you may be entitled to some moola!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

living4reality: (are you Canadian) Yes, you can deduct your Blue Cross expenses that weren't paid out. If your plan pays 80% of costs then you can submit the other 20% for income tax deduction under medical expenses. You can also deduct the amount taken off your cheque for monthly medical fees.

CantGetNuf: Sorry, but it sounds like you just can'tgetnuf money back from the IRS!

missyboxers: I agree with gabriel! She should replace what was broken or give you the money to have it replaced.

Gutmutter and myrosiedog:
    Tonglen sounds really cool. But I would be very scared to inhale any bad, sick, or toxic energy of someone else's at any time. Even if I were to release it. Or are you just inhaling healing energy and releasing your own toxic energy? That, I could understand doing.

Gutmutter: I hope your son recovers well. Don't drive in an ice storm...it's dangerous! Smarter to keep your boy in hospital.

Newf: I hope your coughing cocktail works for you!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Thanks Ellen and Misskitty. No we're not Canadian. Not self-employed. This is for health insurance (we pay directly to bc/bs). Used to be DH's employer paid half, but since he is retired we pay it all now.

Gutmutter, at least with him staying overnight he won't be doing a lot of activity. Although he might not get much actual rest!
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2778875;
    I haven't heard yet how it's gone, but we dismissed 3 hours early just now because of a huge ice storm that is supposed to last until midnight. In the middle of my last class my ex called and wanted to know if I would go pick him up at the hospital (an hour away) and take him to his dorm (an hour in the other direction and then an hour drive home for me). His new wife was supposed to do it but she doesn't want to go out driving in an ice storm (which they've been predicting for 3 days). I said no. The boy will have to stay over in the hospital tonight. Sheesh! What did he think I was going to say? Guilt, guilt, guilt.
    Good, at least he can stay inactive tonight. You let us know how he's doing and give him a hug when you see him.

Quote Originally Posted by doxie;2778666;
    I saw that episode of Judge Judy too! The fool that threw the kayak paddle tried to pretend that he didn't know his name. Judge Judy ripped him apart. Hilarious - someone should start a Judge Judy thread.
    I would be all over that thread!! I love Judge Judy!!!

Well, guess where I just returned from... 3 hours of driving in an ice storm!!! I didn't do the actual driving (that being a particular phobia of mine). I had to ask a favor of a friend who's a fearless driver and who WILL have me return a favor at some point. I had gotten home and was watching the news saying how bad it was when the hospital called and wanted to know why I wasn't there. They had called ex's new wife and she told them I was on my way. What? The hospital lady was NOT amused and didn't care about the ice. It is a day surgery facility ONLY. Anyway, he's home now with his leg up and a bag of ice on it eating pizza, chips, carrots, gingerale, and peanut butter crackers. So I guess that's a good sign. He has percoset ready to go for when the feeling starts to come back and is to take an aspirin a day to ward off blood clots. He has to have a responsible adult (me) watching over him for 24 hours which is why he's not back at his dorm. So that means that at some point this weekend I will have to drive him back to school. He's bummed that he can't play basketball for 4 months. He doesn't play for UMass, but he plays a lot for fun with his friends... and I mean like 4 or 5 hours at a stretch. Thanks again to everyone who kept us in their thoughts.
    Count your blessings!

Thank You for the update. Now all he needs is some rocky road ice cream.

Shhhhhh! He'll hear you and want me to go out and get some.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2779357;
    Shhhhhh! He'll hear you and want me to go out and get some.

MAAAAAAAAAA!

Gut I totally missed this about your son. I hope he heals quickly.

+ Reply to Thread