+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7214Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

In Florida they do it by drivers license not voters registration. Which makes it much more fair as so many people don't register to vote. But then, they do get all the people that can't serve either doing it by license. But it gives them a much broader pool to select from.

I think you can still get out of it if you are a stay at home mom in some states and if you are over 70. Heck, my experience in Florida was that all the retirees WANTED to serve Jury Duty. They had nothing else to do.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

They do it by DL here in WI also, which I think is a bit unfair. There is also lots of complaining by some minorities that the juries are "too white", so they are trying to figure a way to get those people who don't have drivers licenses or don't vote, because so many are "transient".

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2777085;
    They do it by DL here in WI also, which I think is a bit unfair. There is also lots of complaining by some minorities that the juries are "too white", so they are trying to figure a way to get those people who don't have drivers licenses or don't vote, because so many are "transient".
    That is the problem in Florida too. And the NAACP has made charges about the "all white" juries, but if you don't get a drivers license or don't register to vote, then I think you shouldn't complain about the makeup of the jury. (which I'm sure that the NAACP members are responsible citizens that do have licenses and do register to vote)Participate in society and then maybe the jury pool would be more diversified.
    There are a lot of "transients" in Florida as well.
    But if you live off the grid, then its hard to find a way to tap more minorities into the system for jury selection.

I once worked for a company who absolutely HATED to let employees off for jury duty. When I got my very first summons back in the mid-80's, I let my work know about it and was prepared to go in. Well, the CEO took my summons and came back out of his office a little bit later and said, "You don't have to worry about it - I've taken care of it and you don't have to go." When I expressed concern about it to someone else, I think it was the finance manager who I knew well, she said that it had indeed been taken care of. When I asked how, she said that some things are better left unknown. I swear, I don't know what the guy did or who he knew (coughmafiaconnectionscough), but for at least 15 years after that, I never got another jury summons! Since then, I've received one or two, but I still can't help but think that my name was - at least for a while - on some type of clandestine "list" somewhere!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by chrelsey;2777144;
    I once worked for a company who absolutely HATED to let employees off for jury duty. When I got my very first summons back in the mid-80's, I let my work know about it and was prepared to go in. Well, the CEO took my summons and came back out of his office a little bit later and said, "You don't have to worry about it - I've taken care of it and you don't have to go." When I expressed concern about it to someone else, I think it was the finance manager who I knew well, she said that it had indeed been taken care of. When I asked how, she said that some things are better left unknown. I swear, I don't know what the guy did or who he knew (coughmafiaconnectionscough), but for at least 15 years after that, I never got another jury summons! Since then, I've received one or two, but I still can't help but think that my name was - at least for a while - on some type of clandestine "list" somewhere!
    And now the FBI probably has a file on you.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2777146;
    And now the FBI probably has a file on you.
    NAH! - J Edgar died years ago.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Google "avoiding jury duty", or "getting out of jury duty".
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I just googled and, heh, I no longer believe that I'm one of a select few who would rather not spend a couple of weeks sitting in an uncomfortable chair, unable to urinate when I please, listening to a pair of attorneys nit-pick for hours upon hours upon hours about nothing interesting at all.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

*threadjack* This is my pet peever today. *endthreadjack*

Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

It's like the Itunes gift cards. Sometimes you cannot read the numbers or letters properly and you end up not being able to put the right code in!
    Yup, with donuts!!

+ Reply to Thread