+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

My problem with jury duty would be sitting still that long. All though I have a office job, I'm in and out of my seat all day long. I'd be worried that if I sat still for too long, I wouldn't be able to get up again.

I've been called up less than five times for jury duty since I registered to vote umpteen years ago. I've never been selected. If I don't have school or work, I'd love to sit on a jury. Here they pay you $10 just for showing up (whoo wee, what can I buy with that? lol) but when I was working, we could turn in our check to HR and receive a full day's pay instead, which usually turned out to be the much better deal. We are only on notice for one week and we have to call the night before each night until our commitment is up. If you get a really high number, like 500, you can pretty much expect not to even have to show up but you still need to call just in case. If you do get called to show up, regardless if they pick you or not, you won't be sent a notice again for at least two years. It was probably over ten years between the last time I got a notice and the one I got last year.

We get paid a per diem ($10 sounds about right) PLUS mileage (based on Zip code) PLUS our parking is validated. I make out like a bandit

Those who serve on juries also get lunch at the courthouse cafeteria--how special is that!
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2776563;
    We get paid a per diem ($10 sounds about right) PLUS mileage (based on Zip code) PLUS our parking is validated. I make out like a bandit

Those who serve on juries also get lunch at the courthouse cafeteria--how special is that!

Lunch FREE?? We don't get parking, we get a bus ticket so we don't have to drive, lunch is on our own, or course we can eat at the cafeteria in the courthouse but we pay.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I've always wanted to serve on a jury...any jury.... but I've never been called up. I'm sure I would be struck since I work for an attorney and most of my family has been in one or more different forms of law enforcement!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I've never been called either. My husband has quite a few times. He never called or showed up for a few of them and nothing happend. I kept waiting for the cops to show up to get him.

This is off topic, but I have a mini-rant. I was winding down for the night when I heard some glass break in the kitchen. I went out to see what happened-turns out my roommate broke one of my Pyrex baking dishes. Then, she makes an excuse for how it happened, half-apologized and went back to cleaning it up. When I asked which one-- it's part of a three piece set-- she looked as though I'd inconvenienced her by essentially asking her to look to the right. Obviously, it's easily replaced and not expensive, and really no big deal, but if it was me, I definitely would have offered to buy a new one. The whole "respecting others' belongings" thing. Especially since she was the one who left it out in the first place!
    /rant

Back to the regularly scheduled jury duty conversation.

When I lived at home, I got a notice twice in two years. The first time I didn't have to go on the date that they called me -- better for them, unbeknownst to them, because I had pinkeye at the time-- and then they called me right after I moved back home. I knew I was going to be moving out of Connecticut sometime within the following six months (and I didn't really want to miss work having just started), so I asked them to postpone it as far off as I could, and moved well in advance of that date!

No-one has ever called me for jury duty. Not even to be turned away. I feel so left out.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I have gotten notices a few times over the years. Back in the 80's, a stay-at-home mom could be excused, but I don't think that is the case nowadays.

About 3 or 4 years ago, I did get summoned and showed up....with about 100 other people. We sat around waiting and I noticed one of my daughter's teachers in the room! That really surprised me. I think we had to be there at 8 a.m. After sitting around drinking coffee for several hours, it was time for this mama to hit the ladies' room. Wouldn't you know it.....I go to the bathroom and walk back into a completely empty waiting room! LOL I guess while we were waiting all that time, the lawyers were trying to work out a deal and the guy accepted one. Case closed. I was back home by 11:30 or so in the morning. But I did get $45 for my time.

I had jury duty on September 11, 2007. I actually like jury duty. We only have to go for one day or one trial. So even if you just sit in that gathering room all day, at least it's a day when I don't have to go to work and have people asking me stupid questions all day. But this time, it was actually pretty fun. My SIL and niece both had it the same day. And then when we got there, we saw a guy who used to be our neighbor. So we all just sat and talked all day. WAY better than work.

+ Reply to Thread