+ Reply to Thread
Page 69 of 2503 FirstFirst ... 195960616263646566676869707172737475767778791191695691069 ... LastLast
Like Tree6792Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

THis is just all kinds of wrong

In today's local paper and you have to figure that the man who originally had this on, must have come out of the water naked!

Charlotte Sun Herald 8/5/06
    http://www.sun-herald.com/NewsArchiv...ory=tp2ch6.htm

Dolphin tangled in Speedo, stripped

Bathing suits: Good for humans, bad for dolphins.

A team of workers from Mote Marine Laboratory in Sarasota on Thursday undressed a bottlenose dolphin who had been tangled for a month in a man's bikini bathing suit -- a black Speedo, size X-X-X-X-X large.

"I think it's a first for the group here," said Mote spokeswoman Martha Wells on Friday.

Mote researchers estimated the nylon bikini had been tangled on the dolphin for at least 28 days. The dolphin, nicknamed "Scrappy," was seen swimming -- sans Speedo -- in Sarasota Bay on June 29. On July 6, he was observed wearing a suit, said Randall Wells, manager of the Sarasota Dolphin Research Program.

Wells said the entanglement probably took place over the Fourth of July weekend. It was unlikely someone put the suit on as a prank. "It would have been very difficult to do that," Wells said.

"I guess it was debris and the animal somehow got it over his rostrum (beak) and, fortunately, it slid back beyond that," he said.

Had it not, Wells said, "We would not have had a rescue; we would have had a dead dolphin on our hands."

Mote researchers knew Scrappy by his markings -- the nicks and notches on his dorsal fin that make him distinct and recognizable to researchers. He has been in the research program catalog -- among 3,000 other dolphins along Florida's West Coast -- for eight years now, Wells said. Scrappy is thought to be about 10 years old.

Wells said crews had been keeping an eye on Scrappy since he was spotted, and he seemed to be doing well enough. They had hoped the suit would slip off. It didn't.

"His behavior was relatively normal, but it was not something that could last forever," he said.

The problem was that drag on the swimsuit could have caused the nylon to cut the dolphin underneath.

"We couldn't tell what was going on below his body, and there's where we found some major issues," Wells said.

Mote decided to strip Scrappy this week.

On Thursday, 30 people on five boats set out on the task. They found Scrappy 12 minutes after casting off into southern Sarasota Bay, then circled him with a long net. They lifted the bikini-clad dolphin onto a floating pad, then up to an examination boat, Wells said.

The Speedo was cut off and Scrappy's wounds were cleaned. Wells said it looked like the dolphin had slipped through the Speedo's waist and the leg hole.

The suit had cut indeed into Scrappy's pectoral flippers at the point that they attach to the body. The cuts were one-half-inch to three-quarters of an inch deep.

"There was nothing to keep it from continuing into his fins," Wells said. "If left on, it would have continued to saw through his fins and would have killed him."

The naked dolphin was given antibiotics, outfitted with a monitoring device and released back into the bay.

Wells said a crew spotted Scrappy on Friday, and he seemed to be doing just fine.

Wells had this advice for the public: "We need to make sure that we're careful about what we put in the water, because it can have some pretty lethal consequences."
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Wondered where those went . . . do you suppose the good folks at Mote Marine Laboratory would send them back to me?
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post

But today was the EYE OPENER.

I slunk over to the B's and bought a David Bowie CD and wanted to hide it as it was probably flashing neon to the store that here is someone who thinks she's cool, but she's NOT, she's FREAKING old and out of touch and all teenagers everywhere are making fun of her.
    I know that feeling...Reminds me when my sister and I are out in public and see an older woman...might even be in good shape with hip huggers and a tight top exposing abdoman skin....in other words dressing like a teen, my sister always says, "Oh, that poor lady lost her birth certificate"
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    I had my Old Fart moment a few years ago at the grocery store. I saw an attractive twenty-something, and instead of fantasizing wondering about her, I found myself wondering what her mother looked like.
    So funny and scarry at the same time LOL

A man came in the store a while back and was shopping and staring shopping and staring.....Why is this o-o-o-o-o-old man staring at me? Why isn't my daughter here--that would take the attention off me, afterall, I'm way past the men-staring-at-me stage in my life.......Well, after a while he started talking to me come to find out, this OLD man went to school with me!!! I was so embarassed that I didn't immediately recognize him...he was so cute in high school........I am so glad he recognized this old gal cause we had a great visit...
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'd be afraid to see the man who wears size X-X-X-X-X LARGE Speedo!
    And, please Lord, don't let him be naked!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder View Post
    Wondered where those went . . . do you suppose the good folks at Mote Marine Laboratory would send them back to me?
    Mote Marine Laboratory
    1600 Ken Thompson Parkway, Sarasota, Florida 34236

Write em a note and see. They are very accommodating.

::sigh:: I'm stuck here waiting for the mailman, not knowing whether he'll actually knock on my door or not.

Plus, last night my brother complained of popping in his ear, very scary not knowing what to do. Gave him tylenol and he calmed down.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD
    Our friends threw us a going away party last night. MUCH fun was had by all, especially me apparantly. Let's say a lot of tequila was involved as you will see by the following pictures.

Now I don't want to leave as I forgot how much fun my friends are.

I'm the one in white. The picture of me dancing in the hat is with my daughter and her friends and a few of mine. And I am not shooting a bird in the picture even tho it looks like it. I was telling someone to come here.
    The last one is me and my hubby. I am the happy one!
    Attached Images Attached Images

What, you don't think hubby looks happy? Bless the man. He looks about like I usually do in pictures.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    What, you don't think hubby looks happy? Bless the man. He looks about like I usually do in pictures.
    Well he was the designated driver, could be why he wasn't too happy. That and we had 5 teenagers riding with us and spending the night after the party. He also could have been reacting to my EXTREME happiness too.
    Normally he doesn't look like that. Don't know why he was being so serious.

+ Reply to Thread