+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5844Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2774715;
    That's how I got out of jury duty. I also told them I had a really overactive bladder. Plus I gave in to my urge to fall asleep while waiting for someone to interview me. For some reason, a narcoleptic, semi-deaf woman who needs to leave the room frequently doesn't appeal to the justice system as a potential juror.
    I am so hard I may have to leave the room because of the overactive bladder thing too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Rattus, I'm taking notes! That's hilarious!

I kinda like the tactic of saying something like: "I can always spot a criminal by his beady eyes -- like that guy, for instance!" -- and then point at the judge.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, I just need to grumble and get this out of my system. We had an ugly cold front pass through and it caused a power outage. It went out just as my AI was about to begin; it didn't come back on until 10:15 p.m. I know that I should be grateful that it was as short as it was, but the people on the street behind me were back on an hour and a half before we were!!! I know, I know...we're probably on a different grid, but that didn't make me feel any better. Luckily, I have a sizeable supply of Yankee Candles, and a hand-crank radio...at least I'm sure I've got the best smelling house in the area!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2775251;
    I kinda like the tactic of saying something like: "I can always spot a criminal by his beady eyes -- like that guy, for instance!" -- and then point at the judge.
    My dad had a friend that was a judge and he used to say that they had "heard it all" and he was pretty good at spotting those that were telling stories to try to get out of Jury Duty.

In Florida, you can be automatically excused if you are a stay at home mom with a child not in school. I was called constantly back then. Then once my daughter hit school age, I didn't get called for years.

I know everyone hates it, but it really is a civic responsibility and should be something we are glad to do. But in reality, its not fun, you are not compensated for your time and missed work, etc. and I know a few people that had real problems dealing with it emotionally on some of the more heineous crimes.

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

I'm on jury duty until April. I have not received any postcards yet so nothing exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2775806;
    . . .Jury Duty. . .I know everyone hates it, but it really is a civic responsibility and should be something we are glad to do. But in reality, its not fun, you are not compensated for your time and missed work, etc. . . .
    Yeah, see, that's the thing. I think it would be great to be on a case. Well, not great, but good in the sense of fulfilling a civic duty. In CA, one can be excused for financial hardship, as many employers don't provide jury-duty pay. But in the meantime, who's gonna pay the rent and bills on the lousy $5 per day jury compensation from the court? (And that's only if you're chosen for a case -- for screening day you get nada.)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2776033;
    Yeah, see, that's the thing. I think it would be great to be on a case. Well, not great, but good in the sense of fulfilling a civic duty. In CA, one can be excused for financial hardship, as many employers don't provide jury-duty pay. But in the meantime, who's gonna pay the rent and bills on the lousy $5 per day jury compensation? (And that's only if you're chosen for a case -- for screening day you get nada.)
    Well I've always said I hope I never do anything that gets me a jury trial because I'll have to depend on 12 pissed off people that couldn't come up with a good excuse to get out of jury duty and are losing money while they listen to my case.

My luck, I'd get Rattus and her overactive bladder, Ellen telling the jury I have beady eyes, phroshay saying "what?" to everything and Gabriel already thinking I'm guilty because I had made it that far in the system.
    I'd be in the slammer before I knew what hit me.

ETA: not that I'm considering committing any kind of crime that would put me in front of a jury. Or any crime for that matter. Besides, Gabriel told me a while ago, he'd be my alibi.

Actually, if you got me on your jury, mrd, you would be lucky. My having the leave the room every half an hour would compel me, out of honesty, to find reasonable doubt (not having heard all the testimony) and so you'd end up with at best, an aquittal, at worst, a hung jury. And maybe that particularly frustrating jury would cause the judiciary to throw up their collective hands and not bother to retry.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2776053;
    Actually, if you got me on your jury, mrd, you would be lucky. My having the leave the room every half an hour would compel me, out of honesty, to find reasonable doubt (not having heard all the testimony) and so you'd end up with at best, an aquittal, at worst, a hung jury. And maybe that particularly frustrating jury would cause the judiciary to throw up their collective hands and not bother to retry.

Only thing is, I'd have to be leaving to go to the bathroom as often as you.

+ Reply to Thread