+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6242Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD: Good luck with your first ice storm! We're supposed to get a bit of that too, but they're saying that it will probably be mostly rain and sleet. I don't get the bread and milk thing either. I usually stock up on alcohol and make a big pot of soup or chili which can be reheated on a grill or fireplace if circumstances get that dire!

As others have suggested, leaving cabinet doors open and water trickling if the power goes off is a good idea. The water doesn't have to be hot - it's just that moving water doesn't freeze as fast as water standing in the pipes would. Also, if you have outside faucets, disconnect the garden hoses from them and wrap the faucets up. You can get these styrofoam/insulated cup looking thingies (no clue what they are called) at Home Depot or Lowes that snap over the faucets to protect them. Or, you can just wrap them with an old towel and cover them with a ziploc or plastic bag.

Stay warm and safe!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I'm thinking about you myrosiedog and hoping for the best. If you need me to UPS anything down there, let me know.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2754534;
    I'm thinking about you myrosiedog and hoping for the best. If you need me to UPS anything down there, let me know.
    How about you and Joey? Or possibly an alibi as I'm already contemplating bodily harm to the teenager and we aren't even cooped up together yet. I scrubbed the ENTIRE kitchen, ran the dishwasher, cooked some stuff, cleaned that up, did laundry, cleaned off the kitchen table AGAIN and she and her boyfriend went in there and in 30 min. both sides of the double sink were filled with dirty dishes, the counters were strewn with food bits and trash and the table was piled up again. And yes, I LOST it!

Thanks for the offer to send stuff though and thanks everyone for the advice. I think we'll be ok. I did go to the store and stocked up on bread and lunch meat. I also made a casserole that shouldn't be hard to reheat. We have a camp stove, propane burner and charcol grill, so heating up and cooking shouldn't be a problem. We have plenty of food, we won't starve. And the clothes are all clean and we have wood. I think we'll do fine.
    (I do admit to being a tad excited, is that weird? It's my first ice storm, so have no idea what to expect)

I was going to make cookies, but everyone's pissed me off, so NO cookies for them.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

You stand strong mrd! No cookies for people who make you mad!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2754613;
    You stand strong mrd! No cookies for people who make you mad!
    Only problem with that is that I don't get any either.

I've been dying to try out my new gluten free recipes. I have bought a gluten free baking mix and was going to try it on cookies. Well, they probably would have griped about that too!!! Since tonight seems to be gripe night.

I'm taking my stack of books and I'm going to put on all my warm clothes AND take all the blankets and huddle in my room if the power goes out and they can all just lump it. I bet I will have 3 dogs to help keep me warm too.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

All I can say is, "Ice storms are not cool (no pun intended.)"

And what I learned from my son over Christmas break, why should he worry about creating chaos in the kitchen. He has a maid....or so he thought. His break only lasted 1 week out of 4 here, and I was, blissfully, relieved, or I'm sure his body would have been found in this house, sooner or later.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2754634;
    All I can say is, "Ice storms are not cool (no pun intended.)"
    Oh, I know they probably aren't. Hurricanes aren't either and I've been through those. It's just kind of weird as I really don't know what to expect, but I'm ready for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2754607;
    How about you and Joey? Or possibly an alibi as I'm already contemplating bodily harm to the teenager and we aren't even cooped up together yet. I scrubbed the ENTIRE kitchen, ran the dishwasher, cooked some stuff, cleaned that up, did laundry, cleaned off the kitchen table AGAIN and she and her boyfriend went in there and in 30 min. both sides of the double sink were filled with dirty dishes, the counters were strewn with food bits and trash and the table was piled up again. And yes, I LOST it! I was going to make cookies, but everyone's pissed me off, so NO cookies for them.
    I better do the ALIBI, as if I were to show up I would probably give them both WHAT FOR...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2754660;
    I better do the ALIBI, as if I were to show up I would probably give them both WHAT FOR...
    I'd make cookies for you though.

Thanks, I may take you up on the alibi.

You're being so productive. It stormed here somewhat (well mini storm for us Canadians ) and all I've done is hit the treadmill and veg'd in front of the tv. I'll finish working out later tonight.

But wow, mrd, you're certainly inspiring me to get off my butt!

+ Reply to Thread