+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5835Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Ice storm predictions for tomorrow. This will be my first one.
    I still do not understand the concept of "go buy bread, milk and eggs". I got the part about batteries, water and canned food when we lived in a hurricane zone. But I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with the milk, bread and eggs.

We have propane for the camp stove, we have charcol for the BBQ, we have wood for the fireplace. We have canned goods, water, and candles and plenty of food for humans and pets, we have clean clothes, so that should be enough right?
    Do I need to worry about pipes freezing if the electricity goes off?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2754024;
    But I still don't know what I'm supposed to do with the milk, bread and eggs.
    Apparently french toast is the official food of icestorms.

If it's off for a protracted period of time, yes, you need to worry about any pipes that run along the outside walls. Running the hot water occasionally (assuming your hot water heater isn't dependent upon electricity) and wrapping them in some sort of insulation will do the trick, though. You can just use old clothes, towels, etc. for insulation.

ETA: Actually, I even running the water cold will help - like flushing out arteries.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I have a Wal-Mart question -- years ago, they used to have throw rugs that were inexpensive (duh) and worked pretty well. They stood up to washings well also. I'm wondering if they still have them? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2754024;
    This was a big problem here last year when we had our ice storm and the electricity was off for weeks. Actually it didn't take that long as the temperature had dropped. As if being without electricity and heat in the middle of January wasn't bad enough pipes freezing were a bad side effect. We'd always heard to let a trickle of water (dripping water) through the pipes to keep them from freezing, but even that wasn't enough last year. They were telling us on the news to let a pencil size stream run through the pipes. Those were the people that were on city water that was still available. I don't think it had to be hot water. Of course people with wells and the wells run on electricity were also effected but that was worse because they couldn't run the water through the pipes. My BIL kept his wood stove going the whole time to keep the pipes from freezing and lit candles and put them under the sinks. I also heard to make sure to open up cupboard doors as that allows the minimal heat from the house to hopefully warm up the pipes that much more.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but lit candles under sinks sounds dangerous.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2754040;
    Apparently french toast is the official food of icestorms.

If it's off for a protracted period of time, yes, you need to worry about any pipes that run along the outside walls. Running the hot water occasionally (assuming your hot water heater isn't dependent upon electricity) and wrapping them in some sort of insulation will do the trick, though. You can just use old clothes, towels, etc. for insulation.

ETA: Actually, I even running the water cold will help - like flushing out arteries.
    Thanks. Our water heater is electric, but will watch and wait and see if we need to run the water. It may not be that bad, but I want to be prepared just in case. I've heard horror stories from "The Ice Storm of Dec. 2005" that apparantly "ate" Greenville, SC.

So if french toast is the official food of ice storms, then why don't they tell you to buy syrup along with the eggs, bread and milk?

Personally if I'm going to be stuck at home with a family that can't go anywhere, I would think I need to stock up on alcohol and chocolate.

Margaritaville, are you talking about the kind with rubber backing or not?

I have several Walmart rugs (2 in bathrooms with rubber backing) and 2 "decorative" and all have held up well. The bathroom ones get washed a LOT more often (I don't dry them because of the backing).

Big Lots or Odd Lots is also a GREAT place to look for rugs. I have a friend that got the exact same rug, by the same manufacturer that a department store was selling for $110 for $40 at Big Lots.

Alcohol and chocolate will keep you warm myrosiedog!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2754115;
    Alcohol and chocolate will keep you warm myrosiedog!
    And sane!

Like I said, it probably won't be too bad, but I just want to be prepared than not. I've been through hurricanes and you don't have to worry about freezing when the electricity is off in that case. Heatstroke is the worry there.
    I am a worrier and I want to make sure we are warm and safe and fed (probably on french toast. )

As for the lit candles, I bet if you cleared out the area under the sink and put the candle in a coffee can, then it probably wouldn't be dangerous if you kept an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2754112;
    Big Lots or Odd Lots is also a GREAT place to look for rugs. I have a friend that got the exact same rug, by the same manufacturer that a department store was selling for $110 for $40 at Big Lots.
    Also look at your local Good Will. The ones near me get donations all the time from the local Targets. My mom picked up a brand new large area rug for my brother's apartment for $30, I believe.
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2754105;
    Maybe it's just me, but lit candles under sinks sounds dangerous.
    It didn't sound all that safe to me either, but I know he would check them periodically. They cleaned out everything from under the sink and I think they were jar candles that were long burning. I'm pretty sure (at least I hope!) that they didn't just light regular candles and put them under there.

+ Reply to Thread