+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2751027;
    I can't get him to write checks, though. He'll either deal in cash (which I think is not the best idea), or use his debit card.....and I'm talking about using it for a .76 purchase! I don't know, maybe it's a college thing.
    I'm only a couple years out of college and I'm not a huge check user either. I only write checks for rent and doctors. I try to stick mainly with cash as well, and while carrying around $100 may not be the best idea, the act of actually having to go to the atm every so often makes me think a lot more about how much I'm spending. For me, it's way too easy to subconsciously swipe my debit card. I have friends, though, that charge every single purchase to their credit cards.

MRD

I prefer to deal in cash too. That way, once the cash runs out, I have to go home. No temptation to write a check or use the debit/credit card. I have found it MUCH easier to keep in check the impulse shopping that way.

Rattus, I hate to tell you this, but everything you described about the Walmart in your area, went on here too and they broke ground for the new one closer to me right before Christmas despite all the objections, petitions, etc.

My problems with Walmart are that they drive out the local businesses, they treat their employees unfairly, they buy mainly overseas, etc.

However, like becoming more "green", I want to do it (shop elsewhere), but I can't afford it. So until I can afford to shop in more local stores (love my local store I buy meat from), support better business practices, support American made products, etc., I just can't afford too at the present time. It is a hard rationalization for me and I know that's why Walmart is so popular because of their practices, they can afford to charge lower prices and with the economy today, a lot of people like me, have to shop our pocketbooks instead of our conscience.

I would love to be more green than I am, but the practices we would like to do, we can't afford the intital layout of money to do it. I know it would save us money down the line, but its the initial layout that stops me at the moment.

So my conflict is that I want to be a better consumer/enviroment saver, etc., I have to do what's within my own budget at the present time. And unfortunately, Walmart and Dollar General, Big Lots, etc. are places I shop because I just cannort afford the prices at stores with better business practices.
    I know this probably makes me a hypocrite, but unfortunately, I'm one of the "little" people that's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

There is a Wal-Mart about 5-10 mins from my house. I used to shop there almost exclusively. It was cheap and convenient, but I HATED it. Most people were rude and their kids ran around like maniacs. The place was dirty and almost always crowded. The staff could be very rude, and even the people who were kind seemed to just be overwhelmed by the constant stream of customers.

Last year, they built a Costco about 20 mins from me. It has been a godsend, I go there once every 2 weeks or so, get what I need and get out. It's clean, the staff is friendly, and it's never been too crowded. Now I only go to Walmart about once to month, to buy things they don't have at Costco or Target.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2751056;
    I know this probably makes me a hypocrite, but unfortunately, I'm one of the "little" people that's stuck between a rock and a hard place.
    Same here. I can't afford much so I shop at Walmart alot. I refuse to buy meat there, though. It is too expensive and I can't see where they prepare the meat. I buy my meat at a local chain that is owned by Kroger so it isn't too local anymore. Their butcher block is in plain sight.

I love Costco, but have a problem getting out of there cheap. That would be my dream place to go with $1000 just to spend.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2750765;
    I would like to add something that I realize I did not in my post. One of the men that works for me is a divorced dad who has 50% custody of his young son, and he shops at Wal Mart, so the few years I was getting the card I gave it to him. The pick N Save card I usually gave it to one of my other guys. I mean the 15.00 card is nice, but I am at a point in my life where I don't NEED it, so I give it to someone who can use it and NEEDS it.
    I love you gabriel. Will you marry me? After reading everyone's posts about Walmart, I appreciate ours more. It is clean, friendly, and very generous toward local needs. The woman who runs it has the first name Santa. It doesn't sell groceries except for a few aisles of things like soda, candy, coffee, popcorn, and chips and none of those are especially low-priced.
    Count your blessings!

I expect crowds at Walmart and I don't have anything against those who work there either. They need the job and I'm sure it's not everyone's first choice of a place to work either. I'm always nice to the staff or cashiers regardless. You really need to know your groceries prices. Somethings I find are a good deal, and other items not so much.

The one I go to is usually quite clean and fairly organized. It's not the staff that leaves everything a mess, it's the customers who just look at things and leave them everywhere.

I know that some people really like Costco, but I dont' like that I have to pay to "belong" and shop there. Also, it's usually good for bulk shopping and as one person, with little storage space for food and canned goods, it just doesn't make sense. Although, if someone gave me a card, I'd certainly go for a looky-loo
    Last edited by misskitty; 01-12-2008 at 06:59 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

You can probably go on a 1 day's pass that they probably give to people who don't belong, but want to investigate. I know they do that at Sam's Club. It's a good way to see if it's for you or not.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2751170;
    I know that some people really like Costco, but I dont' like that I have to pay to "belong" and shop there. Also, it's usually good for bulk shopping and as one person, with little storage space for food and canned goods, it just doesn't make sense.
    I belong to Barnes and Noble, which is a $25/year membership. And for as much as the fee is annoying, I get so many extra 15% off coupons and I buy so many books that my membership still ends up saving me money. (Especially when I was in college.. all I had to do was buy 2 books online and my savings equaled my membership fee. Plus, an entire family can share it.. I think my dad ate the membership cost last year, but in my family, at least one of us will pay up every year. It's a great deal... even if it involves a fee, if you read a lot, I recommend it!)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

I've never actually even seen a Costco in my life. The 'local' Target is an hour away, the only Walmart that i believe i know of is deep in Brooklyn and the rest are outside the 5 boroughs of NY.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

About 3 years ago, a Walmart opened about 5 miles away from me. The local KMart was about 3 miles away. Before this Walmart opened up, I had never been in a Walmart before. One of my friends said, "Just wait, as soon as Wallyworld opens, you will see KMart close shop." Sure enough, that happened. Now the nearest KMart is about 15 miles away from me. So I do shop Walmart mainly because it is that much closer but I really hate going there. And it is for the same reasons.....store looks and feels dirty, stuff all over the place, long checkout lines, etc.

I rarely buy food in Walmart. If I am at Walmart and need some food, I am usually disappointed with the selection and end up going to my local grocery store. My son once told me to never buy meat from Walmart. This was back when he was in high school, before we even had our Walmart. I asked him why and he said that you never know where that meat is coming from. I thought that was rather profound of him and asked him how he knew that. Apparently, it was something one of his teachers told the class! The few times I have actually looked in the produce section, I ended up walking away. Nothing looked fresh at all. Even the stuff in the deli section and bakery section look past their prime to me.

As far as prices go, one really does have to do their homework and know what some things cost elsewhere. For the longest time, I would buy my printer ink at Walmart mainly because, again, I was there and it was closer than going to Staples or Office Max. Well, I found out that the HP ink cartridges cost more at Walmart than they did at Target and Office Max!

We don't have Costcos here but we do have BJs and Sam'sClub. Both are too far for me to go to regularly and require membership. Plus, the few times I have gone to BJs, I felt I ended up buying more junk than I really needed. Do I really need two 10 lb. boxes of Pepperidge Farms Goldfish? Or a 10-lb. bag of Oreos? Nope!

I like shopping at my local grocery store and usually buy what's on sale. And always use my coupons, even though double coupons went away in the 80s!

+ Reply to Thread