+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5651Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I am not against Wal Mart or people who shop there,maybe my reasoning for not shopping there is the fact that there are 3 Walmarts within driving distance and I HAVE been to each of them, but each of the stores was filthy, messy and full of screaming kids. (Well maybe not full, but it seemed like it.) The items I was looking for each time, I found online somewhere else and either went or had them shipped.

For groceries since I am only shopping for myself, I don't necessarily need to go for the cheaper prices. I did however in a previous lifetime do all of the above (well except Walmart, because they were not here yet)including shopping at Goodwill and Salvation Army for clothes and furniture.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2750805;
    Last week when I was there, I actually told a child to behave and I got in line behind other angry shoppers to report this child to the store security as he was out of control and his mother was chatting on her cell phone while shopping and not paying the least bit of attention to him.
    Some summers ago I was working in a shoe shop and there was a kid there climbing on the alarm arcs. I told him several times to stop, his mother told him as well, but he wouldn't stop. The look on his face when the alarm went off because of it was priceless. He just ran in shame to his mom. I hope he learned something...

Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale;2750857;
    Some summers ago I was working in a shoe shop and there was a kid there climbing on the alarm arcs. I told him several times to stop, his mother told him as well, but he wouldn't stop. The look on his face when the alarm went off because of it was priceless. He just ran in shame to his mom. I hope he learned something...
    The mother should have then done what my mother would have done if any of us had started acting up: Stop shopping - Ok we're going home now, and there had better not be a next time. She told me once that I started "acting up " in a grocery store, so she said "either you stop it right now or we are going home" Well you know I tried to push the buttons a bit more. We went home without shopping. Later that day we sat down for dinner to a table of a few slices of bread, and each of us had about an 1/8 of a glass of milk, and I think there was something like 10 peas on each of our plates. Because she couldn't shop with the child misbehaving and embarrasing her. That was the last time I did that - I even helped shop from then on in.

No yelling or anything else on her part, just matter of factly took my arm and away we went- back home.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

Gabriel, your mom was "way cool"-how many times when my kids were young and acted up in a food store, I always said-"wait til we get home!". If we were shopping for clothes for them, we did go home right then and there. I was afraid to do that with food, though.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2750863;
    The mother should have then done what my mother would have done if any of us had started acting up: Stop shopping - Ok we're going home now, and there had better not be a next time. She told me once that I started "acting up " in a grocery store, so she said "either you stop it right now or we are going home" Well you know I tried to push the buttons a bit more. We went home without shopping. Later that day we sat down for dinner to a table of a few slices of bread, and each of us had about an 1/8 of a glass of milk, and I think there was something like 10 peas on each of our plates. Because she couldn't shop with the child misbehaving and embarrasing her. That was the last time I did that - I even helped shop from then on in.

No yelling or anything else on her part, just matter of factly took my arm and away we went- back home.

You hit the nail on the head. I would rather not shop at Walmart because of the screaming children. Before Christmas I was in there and one child SCREAMED throughout the whole store. As I was leaving, he was sitting in Santa's lap. Had that been MY child, there would have been NO Santa and I would have (and have done so in the past, just like your mother), left a cart half full of groceries and walked OUT of the store and corrected my child.

This last time, the mother was on her cell phone throughout her ENTIRE shopping trip and was not paying one iota of attention to her children running, screaming, knocking into things and people.

I have always had a certain level of expectation for my child's behavior and when she did not meet that expectation, she was removed from the area and appropriately punished. And yes, lots of time, it punished me as well. I had to go back to the store at some point and redo my shopping, or had to give up something I wanted to do because she misbehaved and we had to leave. But I also have to say that many, many, many times, I have been told over the years that my child was "very well behaved" by numerous strangers. I can and did take her to places that most people probably wouldn't have taken a child (nothing "adult", more like nicer type restaurants or wedding teas, etc.) because I could for the most part trust her to behave herself, but only because I reinforced postive behavior and disciplined bad behavior.

And yes, I have been in some nasty looking Walmarts and I will NOT use a Walmart restroom, and I do find Walmart convenient at times. But I would gladly give up shopping there all together for a vareity of reasons, if I could afford to go elsewhere.

Gabriel, sounds like your mom and mine were similar and I learned from mine not to tolerate bad behavior from children and I don't usually tolerate it from others children either. I can and do speak up and it often makes me unpopular, but more often, it stops the behavior in its tracks and forces the parent and/or the child to make a change. I don't care if its a temporary change or not, but it changes the behavior that is going on at the moment and really at the moment is what I care about.

ETA: I hope I don't come off sounding "holier than thou", but I was raised to behave and my parents had certain expectations and I have those for my child as well. She's not perfect and never has been, but for the most part, I could take her places and she did behave and if she did not, we left and punishment ensued.
    I know kids push the limits, but I think that a lot of parents today don't set limits at all and the kids aren't being taught how to behave. Not every parent is like that, but it does seem to be that most of the Walmart shopper parents are.
    And I've reached an age where screaming children really get to me. Not crying babies who don't know better, but children who are of an age who should know better than to scream and carry on in public.

And a good lesson like Gabriel's mother taught him is a valuable thing. Often lessons like that speak much louder than words or time outs.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-12-2008 at 11:33 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I am in total agreement with your post myrosiedog. My sister was one of the ones with the bratty kids and *shakes head* she would have a screaming match with the kids right in the store.

To me the PARENT is the PARENT and does not require discipline which matches what the child is doing, and if a parent says no or stop it or whatever - that is all there is to it.

Mind you this is the sister who would only call if she/her family needed something, a call disguised as "would you like to come to dinner etc.," that I have nothing to do with.

The boy is now 33, a dishonorably disharged Marine (because he could not take orders)has had numerous run ins with the law (including restraining orders from my sister and niece)and is supposedly now married.

The girl is now 30 has FIVE, yes five children from 15 years to newborn and is living with her umpteeth boyfriend in a trailer in his parents yard somewhere in Louisiana and collected all kinds of aid.

this is the same family that when the boy wanted a new pair of $150.00 sneakers, they took it out of the RENT money.

Even in my worse days, in a previous lifetime, the rent, electric always got paid along with the cat food being fully stocked before anything else was bought.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2750831;
    I actually go to 3 grocery stores because of the prices. I don't like the meat at Walmart or the produce (it doesn't last long). So I shop at Walmart for the staple items and dairy. Then I have a great store that does GREAT meat prices and I stock up there, but their staples are more expensive and their veggies are worse than Walmart. Then I go to another store where I like their fresh veggies. YEs, they are more expensive, but to me, its worth it in the long run when a head of lettuce from there lasts longer than 2 days for the same head of lettuce from Walmart.

I hate the crowds at Walmart, I hate the people that work there and don't give a damn, I just don't like it. But until I can afford to shop elsewhere, I get more bang for my buck at Walmart. To me its a matter of necessity and not of choice.
    I agree about the produce at Wal Mart not being very good at all. I like to get my fruits and vegetables elsewhere. The meats? Pork roasts I have found, are very lean and pretty good from Wal Mart. I don't buy beef there, so I wouldn't know.
    "At the beach, life is different. Time doesn't move hour to hour but mood to moment. We live by the currents, plan by the tides, and follow the sun." - anonymous

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2750920;
    I agree about the produce at Wal Mart not being very good at all. I like to get my fruits and vegetables elsewhere. The meats? Pork roasts I have found, are very lean and pretty good from Wal Mart. I don't buy beef there, so I wouldn't know.
    I'll buy chicken from Walmart, but their beef is awful. I found a locally owned grocery that butchers their own meat and they have GREAT specials, so I can even get chicken there MUCH cheaper than at Walmart. They have a huge meat sale about once or twice a month and I stock up when they do. I just stocked up on boneless, skinless chicken breasts that were HUGE for $1.79 a pound. I don't think I've even seen them cheaper anywhere else.
    Their beef is also very good, but the prices in the rest of the store aren't that great. I hate having to go to 3 stores, but I do a HUGE shop once a month and then fill in weekly with fresh items , so I don't do 3 stores in one day every week. I hate shopping so I like to go and do a huge shop once a month and the pantry and freezer is stocked and then I can do little shops the rest of the month for various fresh items to fill in.

And in May when the local farmer's market opens, I am there just about Every Sat. morning getting farm fresh produce.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel
    Even in my worse days, in a previous lifetime, the rent, electric always got paid along with the cat food being fully stocked before anything else was bought.
    Which is exactly how it should be. No matter how broke you are, you've got to take care of necessities before anything else.

I rarely buy produce or meat at Walmart. Once I got some ribeye steaks there for the grill, and they tasted like liver. The fruit always looks like it fell off the truck 3 days ago, and the greens are almost always wilted.

I did shop at Wal-Mart years ago - but I just cannot bring myself to do it any longer. The Wal-Mart here in town is just so ghetto - and it smells the minute you walk near the front door. There are always police there for some shoplifter or other issue. And the snot-nosed kids running amok are just more than I can take. I have found that Target is my favorite store of all time! The prices are not quite as low as Wal-Mart, but low enough and the store is always clean and well stocked. And, best of all, NO SMELL!!!

+ Reply to Thread