+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 2544 FirstFirst ... 155556575859606162636465666768697071727374751151655651065 ... LastLast
Like Tree7138Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I can't get used to looking in the mirror and seeing my MOTHER!
    Try looking in there and seeing ...DAD ! Well, Dad if he were an old hippie, but still...
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp View Post
    Please people take your days off when you are sick. Can't stand people who come in sicker then dogs and then spread it to the rest of us..
    Oh, this burns me up and the people that send their sick kids to school to infect the entire classroom.

If there is a germ floathing around from someone who came in sick, then me and my daughter pick it up.

Stay home when you are sick. Infecting the entire office reduces work efficiency because now EVERYONE is sick and some of those people do call in sick and work goes down.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I agree with this. I thnik this should apply at the workplace, too. I use to work with a lady who would come to work when she was really sick..even That was just uncalled for.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

I agree with you nlmcp and myrosie (and angelic - you posted while I was still typing my long post!) about taking off when sick, but I know from personal experience that some employers give you such a hard time for calling in sick and making you feel guilty or like you're lying. I had one job in retail where it was made very difficult for me to use my earned sick days for *gasp* being sick. According to policy you didn't need a doctor's note unless out for two, maybe three days, but my supervisor was such a b**ch and wanted one for just one day being out! And management let her get away with it. Who goes to the doctor just for a stomach flu or migraine that you know will pass in a day? She was ridiculous and eventually I quit even though I didn't have another job lined up yet.

Oh, and get this. One time I was sick at work from a migraine. I had to go to the restroom to be umm, sick. And one of the supervisors asked me if I clocked out! Yikes! Like I'm going to be thinking about going to the time clock when I'm ready to hurl. This was several years ago before my backbone strengthened. I certainly wouldn't ever let another employer treat me like this again but it does happen to people all the time.

I hate to say it but I was actually happy when my son got chicken pox because I was able to use my sick days to stay home with him and had a doctor's note saying how long he had to be out of school, which allowed me to stay out of work the same amount of time.

That job was the worst when it came to sick time but I've had others where the guilt was still put on me, just not as bad.

Vacation? What's that? There are exactly two people in my company (me and my ex-wife) so it is fairly safe to say that we are both indispensible. Vacations are rare, although my ex was able to go for a week at the end of May. It did her a world of good to get away since she's been a work-aholic for the twenty years I've known her. Now she's bugging me to take a week off, but I just don't see it happening. The best that I can hope for is to take a couple of days in early October to go to a dog show in Lincoln, NE (there will be dozens of Newfs.) Our policy is "use it or lose it" and I've lost at least 3/4 of my vacation over the last ten years.

Sick leave is another matter. Since we are a very small company, we are pretty adamant about not dragging viruses into the office, and have sent employees home (back when we still had them) when we thought they were contagious or ineffective. Curse my genetics, but I don't get to take advantage of that much, either. We allow sick leave to accumulate, but about five years ago capped it at 600 hours. You guessed it, I have 600 hours at my disposal, and no, I don't work when I'm sick.

Fortunately, I goof off a lot at work.
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

I agree with absolutely everyone's points about staying home when sick, but sadly I can feel ArchieComic Fan's pain more than the others. I too spent years working places where a two day sick leave must be accompanied by a doctor's note (I'm absolutely not going to the doctor for the flu), and more importantly where there was no paid sick leave. Since I was making very little money to begin with, I really couldn't afford to lose a day's pay no matter how sick I was. I will say this for the company, though, they did send me home with pay when I dragged myself in after a week and two days off with pneumonia bearing the required doctor's note.

Anyway, living like this for years kind of trains you not to take time off, no matter how close to death's door you are.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    Mudah I fear that when it's my husbands time to reture, he will be the same way. He feels some strange sense of obligation to his company. When it is time to go home, it is time to BE home.

It is incredibly hot here today, but this stupid office building is FREEZING!! I am wearing a sweater, and my fingers are frozen.

That's the way it is in my office. Boss' office is hot so he keeps the ac cold and the rest of us freeze. It could be worse though, it could be the other way around. I'd rather put on extra clothes than take them off!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    ArchieComic Fan and I seem to have had similar bosses. At one of my jobs, I had accumulated a ton of sick days and never had to use them. I rarely got sick--not the contagious kind anyhow--so even if I had a migraine, I'd head into the office and get my work done. Flash forward a few years. Because I had such a great attendance record, when I did actually get sick and take sick days off, they called me at home constantly (to make sure I was actually home and not "partying" somewhere). You can imagine that it's hard to get better when you can't get some much-needed sleep. So eventually, I dragged my contagious self back into work, coughed and sneezed on everyone, got everyone sick and then they left me alone. 'Cause THEY WERE OUT SICK TOO THEN! They were psychos there (needless to say) and my happiest day was when I quit.

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    OK, I'm under the impression that by the time you show the symptoms of a cold you're no longer contagious. Not sure where I originally heard that, but I've heard it repeated over the years. Anyone know anything about that?
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

I used to work in retail for about 2 and half years when all of sudden, i fell ill to cold/flu. really bad. took my ability to speak out. (could still sign, but how many hearing customers/workers could understand me? none.) manager didn't believe me so i came in to work anyway with really bad cold... I work away... coughing loudly, blew nose-made horrible sounds (i'm sure of it... judged by the looks of people around me), eyes watering and i got assigned to a cash register duty. customers weren't happy (who wouldn't?) but it was during holiday mad-rush season. Manager wasn't happy with the way i present myself to the customers. FINALLY believe that I was TRULY sick and let me go. WHAT THE HECK?
    Huh? Oh, you talkin' to me? Sorry, I didn't hear you.

+ Reply to Thread