+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6518Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by SuperBrat;2741880;
    my goodness, myrosiedog! I have to deal with customers at my job (at a gas station), and some will do thinks so I give them my "not as nice and bubbly as I usually am" tone. But if somebody is being a really huge jerkface, sometimes the best thing is being uber polite to them.

For example, I was like, one minute late two months ago, so I got to work at 6:01 am. The computer takes up to 5 minutes sometimes to load up all the way. This one guy came in complaining about how he needed gas because he hed to be in downtown Seattle at 6 am. By this time, it was about 5 after 6. And my work is a good 15-20 minutes from downtown Seattle. I informed him I had to wait for the computer to load. Her responded with, "Jesus F'ing Chr*st, what is up with this city! Across the street couldn't help me because they're changing shifts or something!"

I looked at him and said, "well sir... it IS 6 in the morning. People are either opening, like us, or they are doing shift changes, like them across the street." My mom suggested he go out and try to pump his gas. Luckily the computer finished loading, so I could turn on his pump. Keep in mind that there was still a 3 foot tall sign in the door that said CLOSED.

The guy finished pumping and slammed his $20 on the counter and pretty much yelled, "and how I reacted was not uncalled for!" I just looked at him, gave him my biggest cheery smile, and said, "have a WONDERFUL day!" as he stormed out the door.

For having to be in Seattle at 6 am, one would have thought he should have managed his time better instead of waiting for 6 am to fill up gas. So that means he was about a half hour late. And that gave my black little bratty heart a smile. Because I am evil like that sometimes.

Sometimes the only problem with working in customer service is the customers
    so true. And why they get mad at you when they were late. Some people are just idiots who'd rather blame everyone else than take the blame themselves. How much you want to bet he blamed you for his being late when he got to where he was going?

Yep, the uber polite stuff works really well. But my uber polite is a LOT different than my normal polite cheery self. I can be uber polite and they know I'm not happy, but as I am not doing ANYTHING they can complain about, it seems to work most of the time. But some people will not respond to anything and are just total jerks.

I was thinking about the drunk bunch at the airport yesterday. They reminded me of a Jeff Foxworthy bit about taking his redneck family to Hawaii and they showed up at the airport with piggly wiggly bags and coolers. This group was exactly like that.

What I don't understand is how they could afford to get so drunk on the rather small but very expensive airport bar drinks. I don't know, when I was younger, I took 2 trips a year with a group of friends and we budgeted more money on alcohol than on food. But now that I'm older, it's the other way around and these people were my age. I guess I just don't find it necessary anymore to drink to have fun. I do drink, but only occasionally now and I've found that I can have just as much fun sober as drunk (and I remember it better and there are no more really embarrassing photos floating around. )

But I guess this is another case of where drinking lands you in trouble. Airports just do NOT put up with that kind of behavior anymore and I'm glad my young friend was not having to fly with them. I'm guessing most of the people on their flight were relieved not to have to fly with them. They are just lucky they didn't get arrested for accosting the gate agent.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I get that at the restaurant all the time. "We're in a hurry so can you hurry that up for us?" Sure, I'll go put your order ahead of everybody else.
    Or "We have a plane to catch." Maybe you should have rolled out of bed a little earlier then.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2741926;
    I get that at the restaurant all the time. "We're in a hurry so can you hurry that up for us?" Sure, I'll go put your order ahead of everybody else.
    Or "We have a plane to catch." Maybe you should have rolled out of bed a little earlier then.
    It's the entitlement thing again. I'm more important than anyone else, so put in my order first and serve me first because I deserve it. And I'm too lazy to have gotten here with enough time.

Maybe you should tell them that McDonald's would be faster.

Can't you people type this stuff faster so I can read it faster, I'm in a hurry to go. *snickers**ducks*
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

We've had a bizarre string of Paying it Backward here at many Tim Horton's drive-thrus. Someone started buying a coffee for the car behind them and it's just taken off for days! It's great, because no-one wants to break the chain. Someone even donated a $20 gift card and bought the next 20 cars a coffee!

It's so nice when someone does something nice and unexpected!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2741621;
    I've never been able to understand attacking/being rude to people who have the power to make your encounter as miserable as they possibly can. Frontline public service people, usually, can either make or break a good experience for you. I'm talking receptionists, secretaries, nursing assistants, counter agents, etc. It pays to be nice to "the little folks".
    I would include referring to us as "little folks" to the list of dont's. In my job as a shift manager of a major car rental company, I can either set you up with a dream ride or the one that's at the top of the list for repairs.
    Last edited by bewty; 01-05-2008 at 04:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2741982;
    Can't you people type this stuff faster so I can read it faster, I'm in a hurry to go. *snickers**ducks*
    Sorry. I got in the habit of writing slowly because my brother doesn't read very fast.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2742475;
    Sorry. I got in the habit of writing slowly because my brother doesn't read very fast.
    Darn it, you stole my line.

Thanks, you all made me snort!!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bewty;2742395;
    I would include referring to us as "little folks" to the list of dont's. In my job as a shift manager of a major car rental company, I can either set you up with a dream ride or the one that's at the top of the list for repairs.

No kidding! Exactly what I was talking about! And I was not disparaging YOU. I was talking about how a lot of people think of service industry people, in general. Little do they know....
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread