+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6174Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

  1. #6391
    Resident curmudgeon Newfherder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Enchanted by a beautiful Soprano
    Posts
    3,163

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2741643;
    You're right. Not everyone is cut out for dealing with the public. Some of it has to do with maturity on the part of the public servant (customer service), and some of it has to do with the person just having chosen the wrong job. I worked in public service for a very long time, and I developed a line that always seemed to work when people were upset/angry. I can't remember it ever failing me...and I really liked dealing with different people everyday, and I was good at it!
    So what is the magic line?

  2. #6392
    Got wings 9/19/2012 buglover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    CA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,195

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Yea, I miss dealing with different people as well. It seems so sad sitting in a cubicle all day but thank goodness for my friends here or I'd go mad!
    Yup, with donuts!!

  3. #6393
    Go Donny! Gutmutter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Big Brother house
    Posts
    13,112

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I LOVE dealing with 6 classes of middle school kids every day. They're so much fun and high energy... we build off each other - I'm a little crazy, too. I laugh a LOT every day. How many jobs have that in the job description?
    Count your blessings!

  4. #6394
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,179

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2741657;
    So what is the magic line?
    I don't think that it's magic, but I'd make eye contact with the person (in a non-threatenting way), and I'd say, in a quiet voice, "Are you angry with me for some reason?" Inevitably, the aggression would disappear, and they would talk to me in a more reasonable manner, while admitting that they were angry with me. I've always believed that it's not so much what you say as how you say it. Somebody has to try to reintroduce civility into the equation, and I lose nothingby being the one to do it; in fact, I stand to gain a lot!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  5. #6395
    Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    whatever
    Age
    30
    Posts
    6,073

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002;2741319;
    I hate planning my whole day on a repairman, too..and they never can tell you in what general timeframe they're coming.
    My issue is with UPS. They've gotten into the habit of leaving my packages with the neighbors. I think it's grossly irresponsible though. There is no guarantee that just because we're next door to each other that we'll be friends. luckily, i do get along with the neighbors. I don't think they know that it was my mom who threw away their cat-pee-smelling rug last summer.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

  6. #6396
    On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    5,063

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2741718;
    My issue is with UPS. They've gotten into the habit of leaving my packages with the neighbors. I think it's grossly irresponsible though. There is no guarantee that just because we're next door to each other that we'll be friends. luckily, i do get along with the neighbors. I don't think they know that it was my mom who threw away their cat-pee-smelling rug last summer.
    I lived in a building once where they did this and the neighbor was crazy (truly). We all worked, so the UPS/FedEx driver would leave packages with her, thinking she'd give it to us. That's not her job... Anyhow, when her kids came to visit her one day, they were wondering what she was doing with all this STUFF. Turns out, it was all her neighbors' stuff (including some things meant for me). We ended up getting most of the stuff, but it was used by then. I didn't think they were supposed to leave it with neighbors unless you signed a release form... I never had signed one.

    The only time I get really angry at customer service people is when they don't listen to me. e.g. Instead of listening to me and then addressing my concern, they go through a pre-written down spiel in the hopes that one of those things is what I was addressing. And it never is. So then I have to say it again.

  7. #6397
    Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Right Here, Right Now
    Posts
    25,179

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2741682;
    I don't think that it's magic, but I'd make eye contact with the person (in a non-threatenting way), and I'd say, in a quiet voice, "Are you angry with me for some reason?" Inevitably, the aggression would disappear, and they would talk to me in a more reasonable manner, while admitting that they were angry with me. I've always believed that it's not so much what you say as how you say it. Somebody has to try to reintroduce civility into the equation, and I lose nothingby being the one to do it; in fact, I stand to gain a lot!

    That line should have read that they admitted that they weren't angry with me!
    Geez, Shay! What a maroon!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

    When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

  8. #6398
    Wild thang Rattus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    In the trees
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,911

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2741773;
    I didn't think they were supposed to leave it with neighbors unless you signed a release form... I never had signed one.
    The first time I had a UPS parcel left at my house without a signature, I e-mailed the sender to let them know. Apparently, there is a cheaper method of shipping which doesn't require a signature of any sort. Fortunately my lovely French UPS delivery man leaves my many, many packages in my back screen door.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

  9. #6399
    MRD
    MRD is offline
    FORT Fogey MRD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    somewhere resting
    Age
    52
    Posts
    16,893

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    I've worked in the public eye most of my life and ususally don't have a problem with most people. HOWEVER, there are always some and I invariably put on my super polite, but kind of cold act. There is NOTHING they can complain about because I am super polite, but I'm not my usual warm, bubbly self. My co-workers used to tell me they knew when I had one of "those" because I wasn't all bubbly and friendly, but was very correct, polite and kind of cold. And I do exactly what I have to do to do my job and NOTHING more. Usually you will get the extra mile from me, but those kinds of people do not.

    We had a patient once at the dr. I worked for who came in being rude and expecting everyone to bow at her feet. She was horrible to every member of the staff she had to deal with. She complained about me to the dr. and the dr., bless her said: "that's odd, because C's our most popular assistant and everyone loves her, I can't imagine her doing anything rude" and when pressed the woman could not come up with any specifics other then I was "rude". We all complained about her and even the doctor was on her "s" list for some reason. She was a new patient and after the entire office got her snotty attitude, the dr. directed the secretary to send her a letter telling her, sorry, but we could no longer treat her, and formally released her from the practice. She came back in demanding to see someone about it and the dr. herself met with her and told her exactly why we wouldn't see her again. The husband actually tried to apologize for his wife's behavior and she about took his head off. Our dr. said no amount of goodwill would change her and she would always be a difficult patient and that none of us needed that as we had a very busy practice and better to try to keep the troublemakers to a minimum. I had never heard of anyone really doing that before, but I'm glad. I would have hated to deal with her on a regular basis. And this was not a young woman either. She was probably in her 60's.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

  10. #6400
    Aint I a lil devil? SuperBrat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Seattle
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,032

    Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

    my goodness, myrosiedog! I have to deal with customers at my job (at a gas station), and some will do thinks so I give them my "not as nice and bubbly as I usually am" tone. But if somebody is being a really huge jerkface, sometimes the best thing is being uber polite to them.

    For example, I was like, one minute late two months ago, so I got to work at 6:01 am. The computer takes up to 5 minutes sometimes to load up all the way. This one guy came in complaining about how he needed gas because he hed to be in downtown Seattle at 6 am. By this time, it was about 5 after 6. And my work is a good 15-20 minutes from downtown Seattle. I informed him I had to wait for the computer to load. Her responded with, "Jesus F'ing Chr*st, what is up with this city! Across the street couldn't help me because they're changing shifts or something!"

    I looked at him and said, "well sir... it IS 6 in the morning. People are either opening, like us, or they are doing shift changes, like them across the street." My mom suggested he go out and try to pump his gas. Luckily the computer finished loading, so I could turn on his pump. Keep in mind that there was still a 3 foot tall sign in the door that said CLOSED.

    The guy finished pumping and slammed his $20 on the counter and pretty much yelled, "and how I reacted was not uncalled for!" I just looked at him, gave him my biggest cheery smile, and said, "have a WONDERFUL day!" as he stormed out the door.

    For having to be in Seattle at 6 am, one would have thought he should have managed his time better instead of waiting for 6 am to fill up gas. So that means he was about a half hour late. And that gave my black little bratty heart a smile. Because I am evil like that sometimes.

    Sometimes the only problem with working in customer service is the customers
    Pink Elephants on Parade!

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.