+ Reply to Thread
Page 64 of 2432 FirstFirst ... 145455565758596061626364656667686970717273741141645641064 ... LastLast
Like Tree5827Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Muduh, I envy him so much I could cry
    No you don't! That would mean that you'd be years older than you are. Nobody's ready for that. I will never get used to looking in the mirror and seeing Maxine there.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    One thing that I have learned, that a lot of workaholics don't seem to get, is that even if you die tomorrow, the place where you work will not miss a beat. The place will continue to go forward as they always have. As my grandmother was fond of saying, "One monkey don't stop no show!"

A woman I worked with was at the point of losing vacation time because she would not use it. She insisted that she just couldn't take a day off; since she was the only person who did her job. She was already behind anyway but didn't seem to understand that there were no real deadlines, and her work would be there when she got back. How do you get behind when there aren't really any deadlines? You will finish what you will when you do.

If you deserve a break, take it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    One thing that I have learned, that a lot of workaholics don't seem to get, is that even if you die tomorrow, the place where you work will not miss a beat. The place will continue to go forward as they always have. As my grandmother was fond of saying, "One monkey don't stop no show!"

A woman I worked with was at the point of losing vacation time because she would not use it. She insisted that she just couldn't take a day off; since she was the only person who did her job. She was already behind anyway but didn't seem to understand that there were no real deadlines, and her work would be there when she got back. How do you get behind when there aren't really any deadlines? You will finish what you will when you do.

If you deserve a break, take it.
    I was one of those people who for years would not call in sick, work extra hours etc etc, but employer loyalty is not there anymore either so if I don't feel well I say forget it - call in. No one does my work when I am not there but someone else calls in sick, I would fill in - not anymore - all it gets me is more work. No one is indispensible NO ONE. and Muduh you are right - two weeks after he is gone it will be who?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Exactly...generally speaking, employers just need a warm body to fill the empty spot. As long as the person is qualified, they don't care who it is. If you are lucky, you many get a little extra money out of it. I can't be mad at you if you need/want the money, but don't expect undying gratitude...your time may be better spent with your family...even if it's the kitties!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    No you don't! That would mean that you'd be years older than you are. Nobody's ready for that. I will never get used to looking in the mirror and seeing Maxine there.

I can't get used to looking in the mirror and seeing my MOTHER!

Last time I went "home" everyone kept saying: You look so much like your mother. Not that my mother was a bad looking woman, but as I get older, its just weird that I look more and more like her and of course, OLDER.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Exactly...generally speaking, employers just need a warm body to fill the empty spot. As long as the person is qualified, they don't care who it is. If you are lucky, you many get a little extra money out of it. I can't be mad at you if you need/want the money, but don't expect undying gratitude...your time may be better spent with your family...even if it's the kitties!
    Exactly. My BFF works 60-70 hours a week (and she's salaried). Her son died last year and I hoped it would be the push she needed to realize that there is more to life than a job that makes you miserable. So far, she hasn't changed her ways, but she DID have me write a letter of recommendation today so that she can start looking for another job.
    We all like to think we're indespensible, but there are many people in this world who can replace us. I think that once people come to grips with that, it makes your work life much easier.
    "The older you get, the more rules they are going to try and get you to follow. You just gotta keep on livin', man. L-I-V-I-N." Wooderson, "Dazed & Confused"

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    I would have a hard time if I were a young, healthy woman and some old lady (like me) was working while I was slacking off. I can't believe that they are all in such poor health that they can't do their job. This is the utility company, so you can imagine how busy they are this time of year. Well anyway, week after next we are taking vacation for a week and they will have to take up the slack. Then he goes back for four days, and that's it! He will be officially out of work for the first time since he was 13 years old.
    Muduh, my husband works for a utility company too. He'll be retiring in 5 or 6 years...in the mean time, I have such a difficult time to get him to take vacation time. He always says they can't do without him....... we go round and round. the reason he doesn't want to take off is cause the young ones take off work to take their dog for a flea bath (etc.), and he dosn't want to leave the others without help cause it is unbelievably busy right now

Muduh....take your vacation and let the youngins take up the slack and enjoy yourself
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Please people take your days off when you are sick. Can't stand people who come in sicker then dogs and then spread it to the rest of us. Plus the people who refuse to take vacation because they are working so hard but they will spend hours telling you about how hard they are working and they can't take a vacation. Take the vacation, relax, get some perspective. The work will still be there. My belief is those are the people who are frightened that they will find out they are easily replaced.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I can't get used to looking in the mirror and seeing my MOTHER!

Last time I went "home" everyone kept saying: You look so much like your mother. Not that my mother was a bad looking woman, but as I get older, its just weird that I look more and more like her and of course, OLDER.
    I hear this so often, and sometimes I am flattered, other times not so much. My mom just retired from a local middle school. A young girl saw us talking and asked "Are you twins?" My mom grinned from ear to ear and said "YES!!!" I chimed in "NO - She is MY MOM!!" The little girl said, "Wow, you guys should do one of those commercials." It made my mom feel great, so to me, it was worth my pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Vonna View Post
    Muduh, my husband works for a utility company too. He'll be retiring in 5 or 6 years...in the mean time, I have such a difficult time to get him to take vacation time. He always says they can't do without him....... we go round and round. the reason he doesn't want to take off is cause the young ones take off work to take their dog for a flea bath (etc.), and he dosn't want to leave the others without help cause it is unbelievably busy right now

Muduh....take your vacation and let the youngins take up the slack and enjoy yourself
    We have a lot in common!

My husband was raised by farm parents who just thought the way to go was to have the kids in the field at daylight and work them until it got too dark to see. He left home when he graduated high school but has spent his whole life with that same work ethic. He is almost never sick, therefore he has a boatload of accumulated sick days. He does take his vacations but he gets several weeks a year so he doesn't take off the whole time. He has several months of those stashed back, too. He will actually get about another years pay after he retires.

What I have never understood is why people apply for a job(and get one) where he works if they are unable to DO the job. He is a welder and that requires a lot of climbing, squatting and getting into impossible places. One guy they hired has bad knees and can do none of the above. A couple of the guys are not nearly experienced to weld on gas lines yet, but they aren't going to have much choice. We feel that there is a huge accident waiting to happen and are just so glad that he won't be a part of it. So, most times it really isn't that he doesn't think he can be replaced but that he's afraid he might HAVE to be.

Ana, I am laughing at your posts. My two older sisters also look like twins. People often get them confused. Only problem is, there is about fifteen years difference in their ages. That doesn't set too well with the younger of the two. Her own little grandchild asked once if they were twins. I doubled over laughing.
    Last edited by Muduh; 08-03-2006 at 07:45 AM.

+ Reply to Thread