+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4488Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Happy 2008 everyone!!!

(Archie, I can't get into the "more" smiles either...so I just put the jumpy/clappy guy in!)

Party on, folks!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar

Happy New Year !!!

2008!!

Here's praying and wishing for a wonderful year ahead for all of you ...

(no additional smilies for me either)

Happy almost 2008 (10 more minutes to midnight) from southern California!

We're just about to pop the bubbly (a nice Spanish rosť cava) and mini almond biscotti. And then watch the ball drop on ABC and switch back to Twilight Zone (and probably fall asleep before it's New Year in Hawaii!).
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

I tried to come online, but my family rebelled. We had a really fun evening here though. The fondue was good, except my daughter and the friends daughter didn't like the cheese one. We had a lot of "whine" with the cheese.

Then we played "Celebrity heads" and that occupied us for a few hours and had us howling with laughter. Then we watched the ball drop. I thought I would cry when I saw Dick Clark and heard him speak. I'm so glad he's been able to come back from his stroke, but just seeing him like that made me sad.
    He's the guy that has NEVER aged and now he does look older. He still looks good, but older and obviously affected by the stroke.

Many fireworks going off in the neighborhood here. But Bogie and Rosie were sedated. Waldo gave everyone New Year's kisses.

Then off to bed.

Oh and I did have to pull the "mom hat" on about 11:45. My husband said something that I didn't think appropriate to talk about in front of the 11 year old visiting. It was about a sex scandal. And I said, "Let's change the subject". Well he realized it and shut up. But the 11 year old says to me in a very nasty voice that you do NOT talk to adults in: "I'm NOT 5 years old, I DO know about things like that". I calmly turned off Dick Clark and looked at her and said: "I'm NOT 5 either. I'm 45 and that was not the way to talk to an adult." She then went on to argue with me and I told her to go to bed, we'd miss her at midnight. She backtracked very quickly then. I hate to have to have incidents like that in the middle of everyone having fun. But I also don't put up with that and she talks to her mother like that constantly. But as long as I've known her, she knows I don't let her treat me like that, especially not in my own house. Interestingly enough, she came to me later and said "I forgot". I told her not to forget again and she needed to be respectful of all adults and not just me. It was not so much what she said, but how she said it. It was really, really nasty and ugly and my daughter's boyfriend was VERY shocked you could tell. He also said later, he'd have never been able to act like that and want to be able to sit down again.

I hope everyone had a fun and safe night and here's to a wonderful 2008 for all of you.
    Last edited by MRD; 01-01-2008 at 07:05 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Bravo to you MRD for setting her straight. Sometimes my Little Sister will come out with something I'm sure she says at home with no notice and I draw myself up and look shocked. Then I calmly tell her I expect to NEVER hear those words out of her mouth again in front of me... that it means she disrespects me. I don't have any illusions that it will cure her, but at least she knows now that in polite company it's off limits. Sorry I wasn't here last night for the party. My daughter and Dan were both invited to sleepover parties and my son home from college was invited to parties in Boston but had no way to get there. I normally sleep through new years eve, but felt sorry for him so I stayed up watching stupid shows like Family Guy and the new one about the grocery store. At midnight we switched to the ball dropping and then I wished him a HNY and kissed him on the top of the head and then he got a phone call from his girlfriend so I went to bed. I would have checked in here, but someone had turned the computer off and it takes forever to boot up. Hope you all have a wonderful year ahead.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Thanks Gut. It's hard sometimes, but I was never allowed to talk to adults like that and I don't like to hear it either. Kids need rules and limits and sadly a lot of parents think they have to be friends with their kids. I am not my daughter's friend. And while this child IS my friend (she's more like a neice), I am not going to be talked to so nastily by anyone. And to argue with me about it, gets my back up even more.

She also told me to "be quiet" the other day when I was getting on to my daughter about something. I whirled around and asked: "what did you say? Because I really don't think I heard you correctly." She got the message LOUD and CLEAR on that one too. But that was all I had to say that time.

Otherwise its been a lot of fun and we've gotten along famously. But the other obvious thing was that when I have taken her places and introduced her to adults, she's been rather rude. I don't think it's her fault, I just think she doesn't know any better.

And her mother is a lovely person with good manners, polite, professional, etc., so I don't know why her daughter hasn't learned it.

It's been interesting. My daughter is almost 6 years older and I had really forgotten what it's like for a younger child to be in the house. Oy vey, its a challenge.

As something of an expert on this age group (my masters is in early adolescent education) I can tell you that it is perfectly normal for girls this age to start getting mouthy. Unfortunately I remember from your posts when her father died that this problem goes way back and is a result of her parenting. You have been a steady influence on her life, so I'm glad you're not giving up on her now. I can tell you as a teacher, I give kids a pretty long leash, but when I have to pull them back in and remind them of limits don't you dare talk back to me or you'll see the wrong side of my temper. The vice principal knows that I rarely send kids down for him to handle, so when I do, he takes it seriously.
    Count your blessings!

I whirled around and asked: "what did you say? Because I really don't think I heard you correctly." She got the message LOUD and CLEAR on that one too
    That reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Hill Street Blues. Chief Daniels told one of the detectives, "I don't think you've found the tone that you want to use with me."

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2738334;
    That reminds me of one of my favorite lines from Hill Street Blues. Chief Daniels told one of the detectives, "I don't think you've found the tone that you want to use with me."
    That's a good one and I'll have to use it.

Gut I'm a lot like you. The long leash most of the time, but I will reel it in when it needs to be.

My own child can be mouthy, so I now its part of the age, but in her case, its a lot of the parenting. She has a great time with me and I usually don't have to say much. But I don't let it slide either. I find if you address the problem right away, you have much less problems later on.
    And most people that know me well, do NOT want to be on the wrong side of my temper. I am usually very easy to get along with, but when I get my back up, better beware. I'm sure you all find it extremely hard to believe that I can be a hard a** when I get riled up.

They have all gone off to the movies and hubby and I are alone. Going to watch the bowl game and then go cook my tail off once again.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2738326;
    And her mother is a lovely person with good manners, polite, professional, etc., so I don't know why her daughter hasn't learned it.
    Her mother hasn't required that her daughter learn manners, and that's a shame. I guess some parents decide that it's easier to let them get away with it rather than force the issue. Well...nobody said parenting was easy! I hate to be around inappropriate children.

There is an all day pajama party at this neat restaurant here. It started at 7:30 this morning and goes on all day. They have been doing it for years. You just show up in your pajamas on New Year's Day. And the food is excellent, and it's always packed!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread