+ Reply to Thread
Page 63 of 2471 FirstFirst ... 135354555657585960616263646566676869707172731131635631063 ... LastLast
Like Tree6407Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

This is the forecast in my area:

Mostly sunny...Hazy and hot. Highs in the upper 90s. Southwest winds 5 to 10 mph. Heat index values 110 to 115 this afternoon.

I guess I should put off mowing until this evening but even then it's still humid and the mosquitos and gnats are out in full force.

Th high in Memphis today is supposed to be 98. The heat index will be well over 100, I'm sure. My husband is working outside this week. He is retiring on the 25th and I told him he should just go in and tell them that he's out of there as of NOW. His theme song is that they just don't HAVE anybody else. TOUGH. Is he going to be on call for the rest of his life? I don't think so, so let them deal with it.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Don't assume that all elderly people have anyone to check on them. A lot of them won't leave their homes, either, even if the home doesn't have a/c. They will keep the windows shut due to fear of crime, and may have a fan running to circulate hot air (and they may even have a/c), which is of no help. I've seen it way too many times. It is a sad situation.
    My elderly MIL lived in a mobile home and would not turn on the ac. It was like an oven in there. We told her if she wanted us to visit, she had to turn on the ac. Then in 2004, the year of the hurricanes in Florida, she was forced to evacuate. Didn't want too, we had to force her practically in the car and the entire time she stayed with us was a living hell because she wanted to be home. She had some damage, not bad to her home and we kept telling her: 'You could DIE in there" Made no difference. The elderly can be set in their ways and stubborn and you are right, many don't have anyone to check on them. And even the ones that have children doesn't mean the children do anything. I know a couple of people that have grown children that they NEVER see. It's sad.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Mudah I fear that when it's my husbands time to reture, he will be the same way. He feels some strange sense of obligation to his company. When it is time to go home, it is time to BE home.

It is incredibly hot here today, but this stupid office building is FREEZING!! I am wearing a sweater, and my fingers are frozen.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Currently it's 99f and getting even worse here.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Yeah, about the same here. I just went out and turned the sprinklers on and stayed out about fifteen minutes. Could barely get my breath. I've never sufffered from the heat before but this year has been rough.

ana, I keep telling him that two weeks after he leaves they won't remember that he was ever there. He has six months of vacation saved and I've tried to get him to just take off till the 25th and go in to say goodbye. He can't, because two guys can't get outside because they recently had heat stroke or some other lame excuse. One has back trouble, another had a kidney stone, you name it. Strange that the 63 year old guy is the only healthy one, isn't it? Most of them are the ages of our kids.

I've totally noticed that Muduh. My father-in-law, God bless him, is about the same age as your husband and has been in construction since forever. He works 10 hours shifts, 6-days a week and never complains. He does the thoughest jobs, never says no and basically can figuratively speaking kick any youngun's butt. He truly impresses me. He should have retired a few years back, but keeps on postponing it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I've totally noticed that Muduh. My father-in-law, God bless him, is about the same age as your husband and has been in construction since forever. He works 10 hours shifts, 6-days a week and never complains. He does the thoughest jobs, never says no and basically can figuratively speaking kick any youngun's butt. He truly impresses me. He should have retired a few years back, but keeps on postponing it.
    The work ethic is different these days. My mother and father never missed even one day of work. I'm pretty good about working, but when I'm sick I stay home.

I would have a hard time if I were a young, healthy woman and some old lady (like me) was working while I was slacking off. I can't believe that they are all in such poor health that they can't do their job. This is the utility company, so you can imagine how busy they are this time of year. Well anyway, week after next we are taking vacation for a week and they will have to take up the slack. Then he goes back for four days, and that's it! He will be officially out of work for the first time since he was 13 years old.

Muduh, I envy him so much I could cry
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread