+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5827Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Amy Lee - I will probably be in & out but most likely in bed by 10:00 CST
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

AmyLee, I'm sure I will be here off and on NYE too....we're going out to eat but then probably coming back home and I'll watch Dick Clark/Ryan Seacrest....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2736995;
    One of the other very small rural towns near where I grew up had a funeral home and cremetory named after the two partners. I always thought it was funny too as it was in an area with a lot of hunters. The name: Crispy-Coon Funeral Home. Seriously that is the name of it.
    Out in the Buffalo area of NY, there is a family who owns 14 funeral homes. Their last name is Amigone....so all of the funeral homes are called the Amigone Funeral Home. Guess the dead just want to be really sure if they truly are gone or not!

My brother's mother-in-law was waked at one of their funeral homes and I remember getting quite a chuckle out of the name of the place.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2737435;
    Out in the Buffalo area of NY, there is a family who owns 14 funeral homes. Their last name is Amigone....so all of the funeral homes are called the Amigone Funeral Home. Guess the dead just want to be really sure if they truly are gone or not!

My brother's mother-in-law was waked at one of their funeral homes and I remember getting quite a chuckle out of the name of the place.

Amigone.....priceless

I'm off to my SIL to celebrate the New Year (It's only mid-day here, but they do live three hours away).

I just wanted to drop by and wish all FORTers a Happy New Year!! Have a great evening, no matter how you choose to spend it. See you all in 2008!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2737435;

Too funny. What with all the off the wall books available, maybe I should do one on funny funeral home names (Hey, I've seen weirder books. )

That is too funny. The funeral home in our town put up this really, really, really, large clock. I mean it was gigantic on the side of their building that faced the highway. It wasn't digital, but a just huge regular clock. Everyone in town was saying was that there to remind us all that our time would soon be up?

I've known several people that worked in the funeral business and they all had really off the wall, weird and wacky senses of humor. I don't know if it's a result of the business or if working in the business builds that. But all have told me that you have to be able to find some humor because otherwise the business can really get to you just because of its nature.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2737499;
    That is too funny. The funeral home in our town put up this really, really, really, large clock. I mean it was gigantic on the side of their building that faced the highway. It wasn't digital, but a just huge regular clock. Everyone in town was saying was that there to remind us all that our time would soon be up?
    I don't know what's up with that, but I've seen four or five of these in the past, not recently. Gainesville, GA, Fayetteville, GA and Smyrna GA are three places I know for sure there used to be clocks not even on the side of the building, but out on a post in the front yard of the home. (These were old timey funeral homes that looked pretty much like regular houses. ) I haven't seen them recently, though. If I think of it I'll ask my Mom if she knows what the reason for it is. It does seem that I also have heard that it means to keep in mind that we only have a certain amount of time left.
    I love old wive's tales, folklore, etc...I'm going to see if I can find out if this is some weird Southern thing or just a strange coincidence.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2737506;
    I don't know what's up with that, but I've seen four or five of these in the past, not recently. Gainesville, GA, Fayetteville, GA and Smyrna GA are three places I know for sure there used to be clocks not even on the side of the building, but out on a post in the front yard of the home. (These were old timey funeral homes that looked pretty much like regular houses. ) I haven't seen them recently, though. If I think of it I'll ask my Mom if she knows what the reason for it is. It does seem that I also have heard that it means to keep in mind that we only have a certain amount of time left.
    I love old wive's tales, folklore, etc...I'm going to see if I can find out if this is some weird Southern thing or just a strange coincidence.
    THis too is on an old house that was turned into a funeral home that is definetly an "Old timey" funeral home. How weird.

I wonder if it is a Southern "thang"

Well, apparently it is, although I can't find anything much about it online for some reason. I knew I didn't dream this up.
    Here's a pic of an old neon clock, like the one I remember from, especially Smyrna, Ga (or was it Marietta, near the Square? They are right next to each other) and oddly, it was found in the trash from an old funeral home by the collector.

Here's another photo, of an old funeral home with a clock like that on a post outside. This is the type I remember seeing some of--I'm glad I'm not insane (totally, anyway!)

Good Lord, I hope this doesn't get like my obviously very old (and real) advertising pie tin for Pittsford Purity Pie Company, which I have been unable to find anything out about at all...

I just had to edit, when I noticed the very apt label on this photo that says "WTF"
    Last edited by queenb; 12-31-2007 at 07:27 AM.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by queenb;2737525;
    Well, apparently it is, although I can't find anything much about it online for some reason. I knew I didn't dream this up.
    Here's a pic of an old neon clock, like the one I remember from, especially Smyrna, Ga (or was it Marietta, near the Square? They are right next to each other) and oddly, it was found in the trash from an old funeral home by the collector.

Here's another photo, of an old funeral home with a clock like that on a post outside. This is the type I remember seeing some of--I'm glad I'm not insane (totally, anyway!)

Good Lord, I hope this doesn't get like my obviously very old (and real) advertising pie tin for Pittsford Purity Pie Company, which I have been unable to find anything out about at all...

I just had to edit, when I noticed the very apt label on this photo that says "WTF"
    Thanks for doing the research. It's now got me curious as well.

The clock at our funeral home was WAY larger than those. I mean it was just huge. I wish I had a picture of it. It took up almost the entire wall from top to bottom on the side of the building.

Ya'll don't get me started, I've got 100 funeral home and funeral stories. When you live in a small town, funerals are actually a large part of small town life and my dad was a pallbearer for so many funerals and most of the stories were things that happened to him or his friends. He can remember when they would bring the body home for the viewing and have people sit up all night with the dead. He said he did that ONE time with his cousin when he was about 14 and that was the last time. Apparantly the body exhaled during the night and just about scared the you know what out of him and his cousin.

There is an excellant book called : Being Dead is No Excuse that tells a lot about the often strange customs of Southern Funerals including recipes for food to take to the bereaved.

The South is a strange and wonderful place and there is nothing like the customs that surround life milestones like weddings and funerals. As I've heard many times "Here in the South, we don't lock up our crazies, we parade them around for everyone to see" and you usually see them at both weddings and funerals. I think it has something to do with the abundance of both food and liquor that is served at these two events.

I have been seriously contemplating starting a book on all the weird and wacky stories that came out of my family and roots in a small town. You just CAN'T make this stuff up.
    And now that most of the parties are dead, I can't be sued for what I write.

+ Reply to Thread