+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2735481;
    prhoshay:
    I spend so much time thinking of him and others, I guess I just get disappointed that I'm not worth a little time from them.

I think your real issue here is this sentence-- you feel like he's saying you aren't 'worth' the effort. Do try not projecting your feelings of what you would do into the situation. He is not you, so that's not fair.

I for one would never, ever, re-gift anything someone gave me as a christmas or birthday gift, to anyone. Nor will I be the one showing up with no, or late gift. And I usually bear in mind things I've heard the recipient say they would like to have, or I'll ask someone in the family etc.who knows for sure!

BUT, L (my sweetie ) does not operate that way and never has. In 15 years, half the time he is late with the gift, I have to spell out exactly what I want even though I've repeatedly said I'd prefer a surprise, gotten cash or gift cards even though I don't like cash/card gifts, and so forth. This year he says he has a little surprise for me, but i haven't got it yet. That's to go with the other gift that I wanted, but had to actually go online and order for myself using his credit card. Which by the way was nothing romantic, but a car vacuum!
    I don't feel a bit put out by this. In the past, with other guys, I might have, but I KNOW I'm loved and cared about, so the gift thing doesn't really matter to me even a little bit. I was sort of surprised the first couple times, but now I'd be absolutely shocked if I got a special, girly gift selected just for me, purchased, wrapped up and at my house on or before Christmas. (And yes, I always have his ontime, wrapped, and picked out specially)
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2735680;
    What is popcorn bark? And how is texas salsa different from regular salsa?

And if someone bought me a cemetery plot as a gift, they would soon find themselves in it.
    What I call texas salsa is drained mexican corn, black beans, lime juice, jalapenos and some other stuff I can't remember before I've had my coffee. You know, that beany stuff.

Popcorn bark is my own creation. I use a bag of healthy micro popcorn. Spread that out on a cookie sheet. Then add some pretzels, raisens, maybe some peanuts... Then drizzle white chocolate, milk chocolate, carmel on top. Let it set up and break into pieces. I had something like it at xmas, so thought I would give it a try.

And Gabriel you are welcome.

This is how I get my morning stretch in. The computer is right by the back door. The dogs love to dash in and out in the am. But my petite, 180 lb. mastiff HAS to have to door open at LEAST 2 feet. If it is open less than that, she will stop cold and wait for me to STRETCH to get the other 6 inches of door open for her. Such a lady. The other dog will nudge it open.
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

You guys are in rare form! I've been spewing over the keyboard, wondering if Diet Rite cleans up nicely.

I especially loved the notes to the person who wanted the catering service for 3 days. I was going to offer my services (I'm great at burned toast), but you all turned them down so quickly!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2735625;
    I like your reply Schmoo2...

Real reply: Thank you for thinking of me, but my schedule does not permit me free time to do this for you.
    Great answer Gabriel. That's exactly what I'd say. And Lois I wouldn't feel bad about saying this. Remember you are learning to say no and it sounds like the lessons are coming along nicely.

Miss Kitty, I now keep an ongoing wish list of my wants and honestly the Cabinet I got this year was a total surprise and he shopped early which was an even bigger surprise. But I agree with everyone else. Most men need to be trained or nudged or just given a list. My list is long enough that I know I won't get everything on it, so I'm surprised to open what I get and he likes it because he knows I'm getting something I want and will like, but he gets to choose it from the list and surprise me as I don't know what I'm getting off the list. Also, I'm lucky my friends and my daughter will tell him stuff that I've seen with them and said I've wanted. But his family never did do gifts so he didn't know how to do gifts either and he's learned because my family was HUGELY into gifts. So they can learn. I'm sorry your Christmas with your sweetie was not what you dreamed of. I know it can be disappointing, but men just do not have the same gift wiring in the brain we do. Or most men don't. There are a few exceptions and they tend to make the rest of the guys out there look bad and would probably get beaten up if this were elementary school.

I did tell him one year that any gift that plugs in, is not an acceptable gift. I learned this from a friend that got an iron for her birthday.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by brunette trixie;2735680;
    What is popcorn bark? And how is texas salsa different from regular salsa?

And if someone bought me a cemetery plot as a gift, they would soon find themselves in it.
    I found out about a year ago that my brothers and sister and I own about 40 cemetary plots we inherited. My great-grandfather bought them when the city was trying to start a city cemetary and I guess he never sold them. So legally, we are now the owners of record. I have always wanted to be a land owner!

So if anyone needs a plot, I know where you can get one.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2736022;
    (M)en just do not have the same gift wiring in the brain we do. Or most men don't. There are a few exceptions and they tend to make the rest of the guys out there look bad and would probably get beaten up if this were elementary school.
    I'm not especially talented at gift giving, but one time I favorably surprised my then-wife in such a way that all of my sisters and sisters-in-law thought that I walked on water, and all of my brothers and brothers-in-law wanted to beat the tar out of me. It was pretty funny--none of the women would tell the men what I had done, so they knew they were in deep doo-doo for never coming up with something similar, but they didn't know what it was they hadn't done.

I did tell him one year that any gift that plugs in, is not an acceptable gift. I learned this from a friend that got an iron for her birthday.
    Let me guess--your gifts are now all battery powered

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2736034;
    I'm not especially talented at gift giving, but one time I favorably surprised my then-wife in such a way that all of my sisters and sisters-in-law thought that I walked on water, and all of my brothers and brothers-in-law wanted to beat the tar out of me. It was pretty funny--none of the women would tell the men what I had done, so they knew they were in deep doo-doo for never coming up with something similar, but they didn't know what it was they hadn't done.

Let me guess--your gifts are now all battery powered
    You ARE in rare form this morning.

Nope, he knows that books, CD's and DVD's are good and I only wear one kind of perfume, so he's good with that now. He has surprised me over the years with some jewelry too.

Well I picked up my friends 11 year old at the airport yesterday and the adventures began at the airport and haven't stopped.

I was told by the airline that I only had to show up at the ticket counter with my ID to pick her up because with new security precautions they don't let people not flying go to the gate. They will bring her to me. She was an "unaccompanied minor". Well I get there and they give me a security pass and tell me I have to go to the gate. WHAT?
    Well of course, security is backed up and I have not dressed accordingly. I have on crazy socks and lace up boots (among other things). I wait and wait and wait and finally I know the plane has arrived and also I have seen firetrucks racing towards it with the lights flashing, so I'm starting to panic. I asked the people in front of me could I cut in front of them and tell them why. No problem. They suggest I ask the guy at the front of the line (way at the front). So I stand on my toes and shout out just generally: "I'm picking up an unaccompanied child at the gate and they are waiting for me to get there, will anyone let me go in front of them?". They do and go immediately to the head of the line (cursing the stupid airline that told me I didn't have to do this in the first place, or I would have arrived MUCH earlier). I am now yanking at the laces on my boots, they make me remove my blazer and boots, blazer and purse go in the bin. When they come out of xray, I grab everything and RUN up the escalator and down the concourse. I don't run, ever. So I'm sure I'm a sight running, wearing funny socks, carrying my boots and everything. I get her and she's fine. But there was a gas leak on the plane, hence the firetrucks. I arrive at the gate so out of breath I can barely show my ID again. I had to sit down and catch my breath and put my boots back on before we could go to the baggage claim.

We had a very busy afternoon and evening. One of the things we did was go to the Confederate museum for their Christmas in Dixie program which was really nice. They had children's activities. My little friend is in the gift shop buying something and asks the older gentleman running the gift shop if he fought in the Civil War. .
    He thought it was hysterical and his wife who was standing there just about busted her sides laughing. Tay was embarrased when we told her that war was over 140 years ago. But it was funny and the man was I think kind of proud and he thought it was funny.

Then we go out to eat and after dinner she asks me to hand her her wallet which was in my purse. She roots around and pulls out a $5 bill and hands it to my husband and says: "this is for my dinner". He was trying so hard not to laugh and he had the good grace to take it and thank her and not turn her down because she was SO earnest.

She also knocked an empty cup out of my hand at the confederate musuem as we were talking to one of the men in period costume. I had the reflexes of a super hero (never happened before and probably never again) and reached out and grabbed it like I have NEVER done before. I looked at the man, bowed and said: "for our next trick....". He said: "I'm really impressed, I've never seen a save like that before". So it's been a real hoot. I don 't know if I can make it to next Thur. with all this adventure.

Too bad Waldo wasn't with you too

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2736047;
    Too bad Waldo wasn't there, too
    Well he's been IN LOVE with Tay. He won't leave her alone, won't stop licking her.

She had been in the house about 5 min. looked at Waldo and said: "Well, you are a crotch sniffer and butt biter aren't you?". I almost wet myself laughing.

Yeah having these two together has been a real laugh. Either that or it's going to kill me. We have had to keep telling Waldo to LEAVE her alone and quit licking her. He thinks she is the best thing since Milkbones were invented.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2735802;
    Although I will tell you...cemetery plots are EXPENSIVE! If someone wanted to buy one for me, I'd take it...for the future...not now!
    After my mother buried my father I got a phone call from her explaining that besides his and hers, there was one plot left over in the family area of the cemetary and since I was most likely to die first and the only one without a spouse, she put my name on it. Um... thanks.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread