+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6257Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Add me to the list of non-New Year's Eve partakers.

We haven't done much since my daughter was born or when I was pregnant with her 17 years ago. We would get together with friends the last few years and if we went to their house, we were usually home by 10 or so, same thing if they came to our house, they went home early to get off the roads.

I can't remember the last time hubby stayed up until midnight. Usually it's just me and Dick Clark and in the last few years, my daughter stays up to ring it in with me.

We call it "amatuer" night when those that don't normally party and even those that do, feel they have to go get drunk. So we stay out of it.

So Amy Lee, I'm kind of in your shoes. I don't have anyone to ring it in with as he goes to bed and we don 't really do anything.

I think it's almost like Valentine's Day. A LOT of hype and a lot of trouble with the extra potential for danger (drunks driving).

We will have our friend's 11 year old daugther this year, so we will be doing fondue and she and my daughter and I will probably stay up and watch movies and the ball drop on tv. Even more incentive to stay home. I have another person's child to be responsible for.

But I'm middle aged and married, so I don't care. But when I was younger a whole group of us would go to Key West every year for several days around New Year's. We had a friend who's mom lived there and she left and went to her daughter's after Christmas, so we all would descend on her house. But even so, it was within walking distance of Duval Street and the big Key West New Year's Eve party. It was fun back then. There was usually anywhere from 5-10 of us and we did drink, but we also didn't drive. (walking home drunk is not fun either, but it can sober you up. )

I really prefer the quiet. We had a quiet Christmas and while I do get nostaglic for the big events with all the people, now that I'm older, quiet is good.

One New Year's Eve, my parents were home watching tv and they heard what they thought was fireworks going off. We lived in a rural community. Lot of hunting, so lot's of guns. And they actually had a bullet penetrate their roof and lodge in the ceiling from some idiot shooting a gun up in the air (what goes up, must come down and usually at the same velocity). Also one year in their town, a policeman at a DUI checkpoint, had a bullet land at his feet. Same thing, people shooting up in the air.
    I also had a cousin, who in her 80's, opened her back door to shoot her shotgun to celebrate the arrival of the new year and her husband was on the porch smoking. She accidently shot him. Fortunately for him, the gun was loaded with birdshot and while he was injured pretty badly, had it been a regular bullet, it would have killed him. She shot him in the stomach.
    So even more reason to stay home, because of the idiots with guns that think it's fun to shoot them up in the air. Fireworks are bad enough, they scare the bejesus out of my dogs and I have to tranquilize them.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-27-2007 at 05:32 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Sounds like the Koffee Klatch will be the place to party this NYE. I'm getting around, but its not like we ever do anything anyhow.
    and I'm so sick of being around hubby 24 hours a day that I could scream.

so, lets all meet here and have our own party - although, it will probably end around 10 cause that sounds like when most of us give up anyhow (and I know I will)

You're on schmoo2, it's an NYE party at the FORT. I will have my one glass of champagne and will describe in detail my fiance's snoring for all of you to enjoy!
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

You're on Schmoo. Party at the FORT. Early party at the FORT.

I also know what you mean about being around hubby 24/7. I married for better or worse, not for lunch.

He just changed jobs and was off for 2 weeks and I thought I would have to harm him.

3 weeks now. today was my first 'drive' anywhere - and without him.
    I know he is trying to help - but he seems to take such pleasure in showing me just how inadequate I am in keeping up the kitchen and he is so limited to 'single-tasking'.
    #1 where the heck is he when I am the only one cleaning the kitchen and vacuming - rather than doing it 3-4 times as much as me all of a sudden.
    #2 -xmas dinner, although simple, I tried to help and he just ignored me until he finished the single 'step' he was on. OMG - you cannot do a full dinner like that, and I was still not getting around well enough to do what needed to be done next - not just what was started last.

#3 - just the nasty little comments he has no idea hurt so much. yes, I'm insecure. Yes, I was dopey with the pain pills. quit making fun of me.
    I never, ever say this out loud - but - sheesh - I make 3 times what he does with my own business - I must have some level of intelligence!!!

/end rant.

needed to get that off my chest.
    I spent too many years in the other room avoiding contact - I don't want to do that again. I don't.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amy Lee;2734761;
    I'm extremely upset that i have nothing and no one for New years Eve.
    Amy Lee, I swear that New Year's Eve and Valentine's Day were created solely to torture single women... But I can tell you this. Before I got married, I had been on some pretty horrendous NYE dates where I pretty much just went 'cause I thought it'd be better than being alone... Ugh...wrong! For example...one NYE, my date and I were enjoying dinner when he got a call on his cell phone...from his "platonic" female friend who was now MARRIED but was still jealous whenever he went out on dates. She wanted him to come to a party SHE was going to (not sure what she planned on doing with ol' hubby). I actually told him to go...and then I went home and rang in the new year with my good buddy, Haagen Dasz.

One of my best NYE was spent alone. I had to work that day, so I picked up some sushi at a nice Japanese restaurant and had a feast in my jammies while watching all my guilty pleasures that I had taped on my VCR (old school!)...and I toasted in the new year again with my buddy Haagen Dasz. It was so much fun!

Mr. Lane and I both love good food so we usually go out to eat some place nice on NYE, then come home before all the drunk idiots hog up the roads! We may come home and watch a DVD or part of a countdown...we usually we make it to midnight, but not always.

Sushi sounds really good. I could do that for sure and enjoy the evening so much more. Gonna talk to the man about getting sushi for us...the kids aren't very into it and it's so expensive if the entire family eats a couple rolls each.
    Yup, with donuts!!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by buglover;2734835;
    Sushi sounds really good. I could do that for sure and enjoy the evening so much more. Gonna talk to the man about getting sushi for us...the kids aren't very into it and it's so expensive if the entire family eats a couple rolls each.
    A lot of our local grocery chains now have fresh sushi prepared there daily.
    It's really good and not nearly as expensive as a Sushi restaurant. And Whole Foods also has it and its good and inexpensive there as well.

I get the Sushi at Publix often.

Oh, Sushi sounds so much better than Fondue. I love both. But I really want Sushi!!!

In years past, December was hell month at work for me. I'd basically get Christmas Day off and work 14 hours a day/7 days a week otherwise until 5 pm came on NYE. I'd then go home completely exhausted, eat dinner by myself, crack open a bottle of champagne, light some candles, run a bubble bath and take a nice long bath while sipping champagne in the candle light. Then, I'd be asleep by 11.

I've gone to parties ocassionally in the last few years at some friends' house. They live close and I've always taken a taxi to and from.

This year, I'm going to a basketball game at 3 pm and should be home by 6. I'll make a nice dinner and probably stay up until 12:05 to ring in the New Year but that's the extent of my celebration. I have no interest in driving after about 8 on NYE.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

We have always done a local barbeque ribs dinner for NYE dinner. I have no reason to change that this year.
    Never even been able to try sushi, and not going to at my age now.

+ Reply to Thread