+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 2542 FirstFirst ... 125253545556575859606162636465666768697071721121625621062 ... LastLast
Like Tree7110Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    I'm sure you meant to say that you do not tip well because YOU cannot do the math. I am Canadian and I can add, subtract, multiply and even divide.
    You are most incorrect. I was being sarcastic. I DO tip well, and I CAN do the math. Just many others can't or don't want to know how. My family usually doubles the GST and then adds some to that. It's fairly accurate. We also have a little printed table of percentages that my sister carries in her purse so we are not short when we go in a larger group out for dinner. Several of us have been or are in the hospitality industry and know how difficult the business and customers can be.
    --------------

On the topic of the hot weather, I feel for all of you enduring the extreme weather. It has cooled here this week so we have a welcomed respite from the heat.

I just saw a CSI show that was a repeat. However, it was almost topic appropriate. A baby died inside of a car parked in a parking lot. It was +100 inside the car. A passer-by spotted the child in a car seat and another broke the window, but it was too late. Ironically, the father, who can running out a short while later, had "forgotten" and only meant to be a short time away from the car. It actually turned out to be a premeditated murder of the child, whom the parents thought had a genetic illness.

I hope no-one watched that and decides to copy-cat the episode.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Don't assume that all elderly people have anyone to check on them. A lot of them won't leave their homes, either, even if the home doesn't have a/c. They will keep the windows shut due to fear of crime, and may have a fan running to circulate hot air (and they may even have a/c), which is of no help. I've seen it way too many times. It is a sad situation.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

That's right Prhoshay. We even checked on my Baba in the nursing home. It doesn't have A/C. The windows are usually shut and it's hot on ordinary days. We made sure they were a bit open, the areas cool, and made sure she got some fresh air as well.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Just because you can have a baby doesn't mean you should be allowed to raise them. What a moron!
    Sometimes it amazes me that we have to get a license to go fishing but any moron is allowed to breed at will.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marleybone View Post
    Sometimes it amazes me that we have to get a license to go fishing but any moron is allowed to breed at will.
    It's really not fair.

Sigh.

I saw on the news today that an apt. building lost its electrity and most of the tenants are senior citizens. So the city (Chicago) sent a bunch of air conditioned buses so the tenants could escape the heat while waiting for repairs. This stupid TV reporter was interviewing an 84 year old gentleman who lived on the 10th floor. The gentleman was explaining how hard it was to climb 10 flights of stairs (and hello? AT 84 when there's no air conditioning and the humidity is ridiculously high?!)...and the reporter jumps in and says rather belligerently, "You don't HAVE to use the stairs."

Um, moron! There's no electricity to use the elevators!!!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Don't assume that all elderly people have anyone to check on them. A lot of them won't leave their homes, either, even if the home doesn't have a/c. They will keep the windows shut due to fear of crime, and may have a fan running to circulate hot air (and they may even have a/c), which is of no help. I've seen it way too many times. It is a sad situation.
    Unfortunatly that sure is true in many situations. It was very tough to hear the reports.
    I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.
    Maya Angelou

Although (for once) it hasn't been as hot here in Alabama as it has been in places like Chicago and NYC, the same thing has been going on here. An apartment complex with about 60 senior citizens lost electricity on Sunday and those poor people went without AC until today. A daughter of one of the residents there went to check on her parent and found out what was going on and alerted the local media. About five minutes after the story aired on the noon news, the power company was out there fixing the power and the Red Cross was moving in to help the residents.

I don't understand why anyone would leave their kid in a car alone at any time - whether it's hot or cold or whatever.... I don't have kids but I've certainly sat in cars with my friend's kids or my niece and nephew while their parents run into the store or get gas. I worked at a day care while I was in college and I drove a van that hauled 12 - 16 small children around (and this experience is probably why I don't have kids ) but I certainly never "forgot" any of those children or left them alone in the van.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

Even in nursing homes it's a problem. One of my workers stopped by one of her homes and one of her clients was acting odd, turns out he was sitting in the smoking area on a little sunlight porch, he had been out there for hours and had heat stroke and was dyhardated. Staff had been out there smoking and hadn't checked on him when they saw him out there.

That and the practice in nursing home of leaving full cups of water by the beds but not helping the old folks take a drink. If you are confused, tired and can't see well you may not realise you have a glass of water there.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

It's been over 100 degrees here in Ohio..and the humidity is awful. Heat index they say has been around 106. I love summer, but this is way too extreme.
    "Success is falling nine times and getting up ten." - Jon Bon Jovi

Quote Originally Posted by angelic_one2002 View Post
    It's been over 100 degrees here in Ohio..and the humidity is awful. Heat index they say has been around 106. I love summer, but this is way too extreme.

Same here in Milwaukee was 98.6 yesterday at the lake and humidity is horrendous. supposed to be a cool down tonight...
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

+ Reply to Thread