+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6540Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2725094;
    Typewriter trivia--The first US patent for a typewriter went to a surveyor, William Austin Burt, in 1829
    Very cool Newf. And interesting. Didn't want to hand write out those long legal descriptions????
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Toad;2724793;
    I JUST got A mobile phone that is A camera phone!
    All this time I though I could live without.

Usually the photos come out looking crappy. It doesn't matter how many mega pixels it is. And yes, i put it to the test.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Ah, typing class. I had a crush on a boy in my high school typing class. We used to type suggestive notes to each other. hee.
    Count your blessings!

Loved the IBM selectric! But hated, hated, hated the newfangled memory typewriter I had in an office I worked in where I had to send form letters. It took me less time to type up a form letter from scratch than it did to figure out how to enter, save, and bring up a document. Uggghhhh!!!! I was glad when those new-newfangled word processors appeared. (Man, do I feel like a Flintstone . . .)
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

[QUOTE=Ellen;2726281;]Loved the IBM selectric! But hated, hated, hated the newfangled memory typewriter I had in an office I worked in where I had to send form letters. It took me less time to type up a form letter from scratch than it did to figure out how to enter, save, and bring up a document. Uggghhhh!!!! I was glad when those new-newfangled word processors appeared. (Man, do I feel like a Flintstone . . .)[/QUOTE]

If the foot powered car fits.............

I am lucky my dad was too cheap to replace our typewriters with those memory writers. He did get an early computer for us in about 1985 and that helped immensely. I quit working there in 1990, but they had updated the computers by then too.

Newf, I am reading a book about colonial NC prior to the revoluntionary war and came across something I had never heard of. The landowner gets a grant from the king for lots of NC property in the "backcountry" and he orders an "astrolabe" to survey it with. It can plot positions from the stars, tell time, etc. I was very interested in reading about it. I guess I have never heard of one before. But this guy plans to survery his property with it to have the deed recorded. I'm sure you, being the sophisticated surveryor you are, probably have even seen one before.

I've seen them, and, many years ago, even contemplated building one. The astrolabe was more of an astronomical instrument, but could be adapted for surveying. Personally, I'd rather have a sextant . . .

Dear Santa,
    I would like a sextant for Christmas. It is much more fun than GPS for determining position. I have been good all year, a fact that all of my FORT friends will no doubt attest. Um, it's probably best if you don't actually ask them since some of them get a little cranky, especially when I point out the natural superiority of Buckeyee at football, and at life in general. I know YOU understand, what with wearing scarlet and gray all the time

Your friend,
    Newf

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Regifting story:

Years ago, I was asked to be in the wedding of a friend's sister. Shame on me for saying it, but it was one of the ugliest weddings I have ever seen. She called it a "pastel wedding", and every female was wearing a different color; the flowers were ugly, and there were ugly floral headpieces. It wasn't about me, so I stayed quiet and went along with whatever the bride wanted. At the reception, we were stuck with having to carry around the poor homely flowers. I saw a friend of mine, who had a daughter who was about 3-4 years ago. She was looking at me, all wide-eyed (you know how little girls can be about the pomp and circumstance of weddings), and we had a little conversation. By the end of it and after all of the pictures had been taken, I asked her if she wanted my flowers. Well, her eyes got even bigger and the poor thing looked like she was in shock! She quickly nodded her head, "Yes!", and I had finally found somewhere to off-load these hideous flowers. She was so tickled ...and I was thrilled that I could get rid of them, and make somebody so very happy!! She didn't know that she did more for me than I did for her, but I'll bet she remembers that moment until this day! If I had had something else to put on, she would have had that dress, too!!!

Little kids can be great people to regift to! Just got to pick the right little kid for the gift!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2726594;
    I've seen them, and, many years ago, even contemplated building one. The astrolabe was more of an astronomical instrument, but could be adapted for surveying. Personally, I'd rather have a sextant . . .

Dear Santa,
    I would like a sextant for Christmas. It is much more fun than GPS for determining position. I have been good all year, a fact that all of my FORT friends will no doubt attest. Um, it's probably best if you don't actually ask them since some of them get a little cranky, especially when I point out the natural superiority of Buckeyee at football, and at life in general. I know YOU understand, what with wearing scarlet and gray all the time

Your friend,
    Newf
    I hate to tell you this, but Santa's a Gator fan!

So you may not get what you want this year. I asked him to bring you a Gator jersey instead.

MRD

prhoshay,
    That is hilarious. I bet you never had to wear a deep purple VELVET bridesmade dress before. Talk about hideous.

I've been in 4 weddings and wore hideous dresses everytime.

I only had one attendent when I got married, and I let her pick out her dress, so she was happy with it.

Me, too. I figured she'd get a dress that she'd be able to wear again. I didn't even care about the color. Nowadays, if it's not the perfect shade of a "white" or "black" it's no good.

+ Reply to Thread