+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I hate it when they colorize black and white movies. I bought a copy of A Christmas Carol with Alistair Sims and it has been colorized. His teeth look blue. Drives me nuts.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2723507;
    I saw that also! Pretty creative eh? I doubt anyone now would be able to actually think of something like that.
    I doubt anyone now knows what an overhead projector is!!!

I mentioned mimeograph machines and the "purple" ink we all used to smell when we were in school and they looked at me like I had TWO heads.
    they were young 20's age. Shame that no more elementary school kids get that "special feeling" from smelling the fresh mimograph ink anymore.
    Makes you wonder how we managed to do so well on the tests.

My husband and I were saying last night that our daughter has NEVER seen a rotary dial phone. I remember having a "box" on the wall that rang. It had wires running down to the ONLY phone we had in the house that sat on a special table in the hallway. The phone didn't ring, the box on the wall did.
    And everyone heard your conversation because you were sitting right there in the hall having it because the phone was attached to the wall and the handset was attached with that stupid curly cord that always got tangled up.
    I always wanted one of those phones they showed last night that looked like a microphone kind of thing. It was all one piece and the dial was on the bottom of the phone. It sat on the dial. I'm not explaining it well, but Gabriel if you watched the show, you know what I'm talking about.

That Ghost and Mrs. Muir tv series is probably what I remember more than the movie, because what I remembered was in color and I don't think the original movie was in color. But thanks Gabriel and Prhoshay for coming up with the answer to that.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Since we talked about gift wrapping, I came across a very interesting article about the Japanese side of the art. Thought I'd share!

From Japan, an Old Twist on Gift Wrap

Try Japanese art of wrapping
    Tie up gifts in beautiful, reusable fabric
    By Joe Yonan
    The Washington Post

I've had a thing for wrapping gifts as long as I've had a thing for giving them.

Thankfully, my style has evolved. Where once I spent hours cutting out bold figures from magazine ads and pasting them on brightly colored boxes, now I'm more likely to embellish simple brown paper with tasteful stripes or dots, tying it up with silk or raffia, and accenting it with a metal or twig tag.

It took a recent trip to Japan to turn me in a new direction. After the clerk at a knife shop wrapped up a package in a single piece of purple rayon, rolling and tucking and expertly fashioning a knot into a bow, I investigated the Japanese art of furoshiki.

And I found that centuries after furoshiki first proliferated as a way to carry goods when traveling, the technique is enjoying a renaissance as an environmentally friendly substitute for plastic shopping bags, backpacks and paper gift wrapping.

Last year, in fact, the Japanese environment minister commissioned a special furoshiki pattern as a way to promote waste reduction.

It makes sense. Wrapping a gift in fabric not only encourages reuse -- depending on size, the recipient can use the wrap as a scarf or pocket square or pass it along as another gift wrap -- but the technique also saves other wrapping essentials such as ribbons and tape.

Better still, it's quick, easy and much more forgiving than wrapping with paper. The only requirements, really, are that the fabric be beautiful and that it be square.

With a few 19-inch cotton squares I found on eBay and the help of "Gift Wrapping With Textiles: Stylish Ideas From Japan" by Chizuko Morita (Kodansha International, 2005), I was able to make quick and beautiful work of wrapping a CD and a couple of books. One got a simple square-knot bow, another a four-petal wrap, and the third a flower effect created by tucking the ends of fabric back into the center of a knot. Fabric choice, naturally, affects the result: Silky fabrics produce something soft and flowing, cotton material something crisper.

Each took less than 10 minutes, and each has a finished look that would take me at least half an hour if working with paper.

I'm still learning this craft, though, and there have been some hurdles. Even though the method is based on only three simple knots, some of Morita's instructions are tricky to follow (although they are better than those I found on the Internet).

I have yet to master a wrap she calls "All Dressed Up," an intricate bow-tie treatment for a bottle of wine, and so far my "Long-Tailed Pheasant" looks more like "Two-Headed Pheasant." Moreover, I initially bought only 19-inch squares, so my fabric is just too small to wrap anything but a little box.

After reading Morita's chart of sizes and uses, I hit eBay again to order some 44-inch squares. Those will let me try more designs with multiple knots, along with the furoshiki ideas I'm most interested in: the Basic Bottle Wrap and Two-Bottle Wrap. The design possibilities of these are lovely, including handles built into the top. They will replace all those ugly wine bags I keep carting to my dinner-party hosts, embarrassed that the quality of the wine is cheapened by the chintziness of the bag.

Once I get my new fabrics and master the wrap, though, the opposite problem will become true: I'll have to start buying better bottles of wine.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

I had a cousin once who came over with a gift for my parents. He had put it in a white plastic trash bag and stuck on a red stick on bow. I'm kind of thinking, I like that idea. Reusable gift wrap!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2723613;
    I doubt anyone now knows what an overhead projector is!!!

I mentioned mimeograph machines and the "purple" ink we all used to smell when we were in school and they looked at me like I had TWO heads.
    they were young 20's age. Shame that no more elementary school kids get that "special feeling" from smelling the fresh mimograph ink anymore.
    Makes you wonder how we managed to do so well on the tests.

The INK is WHY we did so well on our tests.. I loved the smell of that stuff
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2723847;
    The INK is WHY we did so well on our tests.. I loved the smell of that stuff
    We all did. I still can picture an entire class of Catholic school kids in uniform at their desks and EVERYONE had the paper up to their faces inhaling that smell.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

I like to "snort" ( ) the old timey thick black magic markers...we've got one at work and my co-worker always jokes if she happens to walk by and see me snorting it...she always says that's why I act the way I do!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2723850;
    We all did. I still can picture an entire class of Catholic school kids in uniform at their desks and EVERYONE had the paper up to their faces inhaling that smell.
    How did you know I went to Catholic school???

Actually, I used to see kids doing this and never really understood why. And then I sniffed it, and still didn't understand why. So much for my huffing career.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2723857;
    How did you know I went to Catholic school???

Actually, I used to see kids doing this and never really understood why. And then I sniffed it, and still didn't understand why. So much for my huffing career.
    What color plaid were YOUR uniforms???

Yep, I remember good old Sister Assumpta, handing out those tests and we all sniffed them. And they say pot is a gateway drug. I think it was that mimograph ink.

You know, I never wore a plaid a day in my life. I am surprised at how many people did. I did my 12 years in solid colors. Navy blue jumper and white blouse, grey skirt with white blouse and red sweater, and a chocolate brown skirt, white blouse, and blazer.

+ Reply to Thread