+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6258Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

That's funny, ive never even been close to a Chuck E. Cheese. But i am looking forward to going to the adult one.

Nor have i ever owned a scrunchy.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2719600;
    Major pet peeve alert.

We live on a cul-de-sac. Our neighbors block our driveway about 3-4 times a month. My husband actually backed into one car trying to manuever out of our driveway, but since the car was illegally parked, we weren't cited, they were and our insurance refused to pay her claim because she was cited. We have to back out uphill and on a curve, so trying to do that and avoid the car blocking the driveway is fun. Well tonight we had to go pick up my daughter from work and not only was our driveway blocked, but either side of it was blocked too. We could NOT maneuver enough to get the car out. And of course, no one answered their door when we knocked to see if the cars could be moved, so I was forced to call the sherriff's department.
    My husband had to take his truck and drive across the lawn, up the hill and over the curb to get out to pick her up. And don't you know that before the deputy got here, they got home and moved the cars. ARGH!
    My husband did go over and say something about it when he got home, but they didn't give a crap. I bet they do when they get a ticket next time. I'm planning on calling every time it happens now. I know that sounds witchy, but I'm tired of it. We're considerate if we have to park on the street for any reason, but no one else is. Yes, I am just full of brotherly love and Christmas spirit tonight.

I don't think it would have bothered me so much, but my daughter had to work late and its getting ready to flood here, so we wanted to get her and get home before it starts raining and I didn't want her standing outside a store at 10 p.m. waiting on us because we couldn't get out to get her either.

OK, please go back to your regularly scheduled programming.
    I cannot believe that they did that - you are SO right to call the Sheriff's office. When your hubby had to drive across the yard to get out, did he at least have to drive through their yard, too? I know . . . that's probably not a nice thing to say, but it would have served them right!

We also have some not-so-nice neighbors. We are out of town right now, and my daughter, who is 18, is home. When she went to check the mail yesterday, she noticed that we had gotten some of our neighbor's mail. So, being the nice person that she is, she took it over to them. Well, the man (who is maybe in his 70's and is British) was really upset because the mail was apparently from his bank, and he basically started yelling at my daughter - like it was her fault that the mailman had put his mail in our box. It's not like she opened it or anything - she just noticed their name on the front and took it over to them. I asked her if he even told her thank you, and she said no, he just kept going on and on about how we had no right to have that, how this just can't happen again, etc., so she just turned around and left. I mean - how rude is that to not even have the good manners to say thank you to her!

Just yesterday I had visited with a friend who is probably the nicest person that I know - she was my mom's next door neighbor. She is the kind of person who goes out of her way to always reach out to people, and she has the most generous, compassionate heart of anyone I know. Before I had even heard this from my daughter yesterday, I was sharing with my friend how we were struggling with our next door neighbors, and how when I really get upset with some of the things they do and say, I always ask myself, "Now, what would Tammy do?" because she would probably respond with kindness, whereas I get irritated. She encouraged me to take the high road and kill them with kindness, and suggested that I make up a plate of Christmas cookies and take it over to them. I knew she was right, and had already made up my mind that when we get back home this weekend, I was going to do just that, and I was going to keep reaching out to them and killing them with kindness if it killed me! But then I get this call my daughter and I hear how they treated her when she was just doing a good deed, and it just makes my blood boil!

Now I'm waffling again . . . do I take the cookies, do I not take the cookies? Knowing me, I'll probably still take them . . . but also knowing me, I'll probably make an offhanded comment about the mail mix-up - nicely, of course. I mean, being rude to me and Mr. C is one thing, but when someone is rude to one of my kids - well, that's just not gonna happen! :nono
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

You could make chocolate cookies laced with X-Lax.

I kid. I don't think I would. That was just plain rude.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Major pet peeve alert.

We live on a cul-de-sac. Our neighbors block our driveway about 3-4 times a month. My husband actually backed into one car trying to manuever out of our driveway, but since the car was illegally parked, we weren't cited, they were and our insurance refused to pay her claim because she was cited. We have to back out uphill and on a curve, so trying to do that and avoid the car blocking the driveway is fun. Well tonight we had to go pick up my daughter from work and not only was our driveway blocked, but either side of it was blocked too. We could NOT maneuver enough to get the car out. And of course, no one answered their door when we knocked to see if the cars could be moved, so I was forced to call the sherriff's department.
    My husband had to take his truck and drive across the lawn, up the hill and over the curb to get out to pick her up. And don't you know that before the deputy got here, they got home and moved the cars. ARGH!
    My husband did go over and say something about it when he got home, but they didn't give a crap. I bet they do when they get a ticket next time. I'm planning on calling every time it happens now. I know that sounds witchy, but I'm tired of it. We're considerate if we have to park on the street for any reason, but no one else is. Yes, I am just full of brotherly love and Christmas spirit tonight.

I don't think it would have bothered me so much, but my daughter had to work late and its getting ready to flood here, so we wanted to get her and get home before it starts raining and I didn't want her standing outside a store at 10 p.m. waiting on us because we couldn't get out to get her either.

Question: Could you guys back into your driveway so that you can pull straight out when you leave? Maneuvering, if you had to, would be easier than if you were backing. If you're going to back out anyway, it's just putting the backing on the opposite end or the activity. I'd bet you'd be happier. I've found it's easier to change my behavior than other people's.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

dagwood, it's the thought that counts!

Crabby Cancerian remote_goddess's Avatar
    Where everything has a slight "down-under" flavor and all the pretty boys are named Michael Johns...

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2720442;
    Question: Could you guys back into your driveway so that you can pull straight out when you leave? Maneuvering, if you had to, would be easier than if you were backing. If you're going to back out anyway, it's just putting the backing on the opposite end or the activity. I'd bet you'd be happier. I've found it's easier to change my behavior than other people's.
    'shay, I agree. This seems like a good suggestion. The only other one I'd make is that each and every time they park in front of your drive, you drive through their lawn (oh darn, how'd that little spin-out happen? I'm terribly sorry about the ruts...) to reach the street.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

Oh my gosh, Unk! Those pictures have brought back some terrible party memories from my childhood. Showbiz Pizza Place was the rage when I was in the 7-10 year old bracket. I hated every one of those parties and just quit going to them. Luckily Chuck E. Cheese didn't come along until after kids my age were into Ouija board slumber parties--something very much less disturbing than those bears or a giant rat.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2720442;
    You guys, I am the WORST backer in the world, so don't know if that would work. I'd be backing downhill so would probably back into my house! And I have a holly bush I'd have to back around. But I may give it a try. And no, this is the neighbor across the street, so we can't drive through his yard unless its REALLY on purpose.
    Anyway, that's a good idea. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself. (probably because the obvious has to hit me on the head before I can think of it! )

I tried the killing them with kindness before and taking over Christmas treats. They grabbed the plate, barely mumbled a thank you and went right on being horrible neighbors. So I don't know if it will work for you or not. (these were neighbors from a few years ago, not the driveway blocking neighbors)
    Last edited by MRD; 12-14-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I have taken over mail to neighbors before and they are always very appreciative of the thought it takes to walk over and give them their mail instead of just dropping it back in the OUTGOING mail so that it has to be redelivered or rerouted and take longer to get to the correct person. But if they were rude to me, then that is what I would do the next time that happens...

Major pet peeve alert.

Besides backing in to your driveway so you could exit more easily I have a few suggestions:

- Take (dated) photos every time they do it & compile, and put it aside for the sheriff. ( side note ... does your sheriff whistle ? )

- Park your own car so it blocks your own driveway. Let the sheriff know you are doing this to thwart the neighbor's rude & illegal activity and so you won't be ticketed. At least, you could get out in an emergency.

- Could you get a city wooden "horse" to prevent parking there ? You would perhaps have to move it to get out and move it back ... but at least you wouldn't have to drive over the lawn and curb.

Maybe they'll get the hint ?

Their behavior really stinks but they will get wise to you calling the sheriff and move their cars every time and the sheriff might eventually see you as the bad guys. Co-ordinating an effort with the Sheriff's approval would be wise.

PLAN B: Secretly put some peanut butter on the underside of their car and show a field mouse a nice warm nesting place ... and throw mixed birdseed on their lawn next spring.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread