+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 2322 FirstFirst ... 105051525354555657585960616263646566676869701101605601060 ... LastLast
Like Tree4493Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Teach your children well Uncle David's Avatar
    Just the other day I received what I felt was abominable service. I left 10% and noted on the check it was not a mistake. I wrote that the service was terrible. I left 10% rather than nothing at all because in more expensive restaurants there are several people who rely on the tips left by customers. I hate to make them suffer for the one waiter, but I make darn sure management knows I'm unhappy.

On the other hand, in less expensive shops or cafes when I receive service above and beyond the call I often leave ridiculous percentages. (50% to 100%) It often amounts to just a few extra dollars, but in the heart of the server it often makes their day/week/month.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    Im currently looking for a job and so fat i've found 2 good listings but im still not 100%. One of the jobs is in a part of PA i didn't even know existed, nor do i know anyone who lives there, the other one requires me to type at least 50 wpm and who knows what other type of testing. I want something im good at, and compfortable with.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by femme fatale View Post
    It's so confusing reading about all of your tipping habits. Here in Sweden it is included, but if the service has been good we usually add a little extra. I never tip my hairdresser fx.

When we were in Prague about ten years ago we tipped the waitress at the coffee shop about 75 cents, to get rid of our change. She looked at us in disbelief for leaving so much (this was a small coffee shop off the tourist streaks). She was really grateful and we felt kind of bad for leaving an, for us, insignificant sum and she thought it was so much. But hey, at least she was happy for her tip and did not just take it for granted.
    First, I'm ashamed that your English is better than mine! We have so many people here for whom English is NOT their first language... Just had to get that out of the way. Ummmm... tak se myket! (Did I get that even close to being "thanks very much"?)

When the husband and I travel--especially to poorer countries like Indonesia--we always tip generously 'cause we figure $5 U.S. can make a big difference to a worker there.

And like Uncle David, I always tip more at cheaper restaurants. I love things like Thai food and when you go to the ethnic enclaves in the city, you can find some really authentic, CHEAP food... and I'm not going to leave $4 for a $20 meal that fed 2 or 3 of us. We'll usually leave about a $10 tip then.

At the pricier restaurants, I just double the tax or whatever to leave roughly 20% (more or less depending on the quality of service). I'm such a wimp that even if the service is so-so, I'll leave 15%. That's more out of habit that anything else. I think there's only been about 1 or 2 times where I left less than that...although I should've. Like when the manicurist cut me and told me that at least my blood matched the red nail polish color I had picked. (Mistakes happen, but don't make light of the fact that you made me bleed!)

Personally I resent tipping.

I am in an establishment, I am happy to pay for what I came for but IMO the server/whom ever is the establishment's employee - not mine THEY should be paying their employee for services rendered.
    Tips should not be taxable because they are an extra not a given.
    That said; I tip 20% but I wholly resent it.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Ana Bannana View Post
    I was leaving for work this morning at 5:30 am. I open my garage door and slowly back out. There is a nice breeze and toilet paper is gently blowing in the breeze, hanging from the trees around my driveway.
    My kids are gonna be busy boys cleaning up that mess today.
    Kids...
    Oh my! That's not the best start to the day is it?

There is always this option, althought this sounds like more than just a teenage prank.:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...n111425D30.DTL

Teenagers who toilet-papered and damaged a home now face felony vandalism charges because of a mother's extraordinary sleuthing.

Katja Base, mother of six, was unwilling to let the teens get away with it, saying she tracked them down to teach her kids about accountability.

Base awoke one February morning to find her front lawn strewn in white two-ply toilet paper. She and husband Ken also found damaged landscaping and light fixtures as well as ruined finishes on two cars.

Dog food and flour also covered the lawn.

Realizing the sheriff's department has better things to do than track down teen pranksters, Katja Base decided to do some detective work.

"There needs to be accountability," she said. "Mainly, I pursued this as a lesson for my daughters. I don't want them to ever come to me and ask why I didn't do anything about this."

Base persuaded supermarket managers to tally daily toilet-paper buys for the week and a Stater Bros. manager said there was a run on bathroom tissue two days before her home was vandalized.

At 7:30 p.m. Feb. 17, someone bought 144 rolls of toilet paper, cheese, dog food, flour and plastic forks, the same items found on her lawn and house. It was a cash transaction, making it difficult to trace the purchaser, but the store had video surveillance.

The video showed four teenagers making the purchase, one of them wearing a Norco High School letterman's jacket with a name stitched across the back. The store's parking lot surveillance camera showed the truck they were using.

Base then borrowed a Norco High yearbook and used online databases to get the name, phone numbers and addresses of the teens on the store tape.

"Her work was instrumental in helping us to identify the suspects," said Lt. Ross Cooper of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department.

The information was eventually sent to the district attorney's office and prosecutors confirmed that about six youths were now facing vandalism charges. However, they would not release details of the case or names of the defendants because they are juveniles.

The maximum penalty for the adult would be three years in prison; the juveniles could face probation and restitution, district attorney's office spokeswoman Ingrid Wyatt said.

Lois Tack så mycket!

I prefer tipping.

I've never been in a 'non-tipping' establishment where the service was any where near as good as that in a 'tipping' establishment. I like having the ability to reward or penalize the server for the service they provide.

Tips are income. I pay taxes on my income, I think every one should pay taxes on their income also. When I was a server I reported all of my income. Hourly wage as well as tips.

Having said all that, I'm glad I no longer work as a food server at the whim of the customer's mood.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Lois Tack så mycket!
    Is that kind of language allowed here on FORT?

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Lois Tack så mycket!
    Ahh! Thanks! I needed to buy some more consonants! ... What can I say? I spell badly in Swedish!

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    Is that kind of language allowed here on FORT?
    Hee hee!

Quote Originally Posted by anemone View Post
    Teenagers who toilet-papered and damaged a home now face felony vandalism charges because of a mother's extraordinary sleuthing.

Katja Base, mother of six, was unwilling to let the teens get away with it, saying she tracked them down to teach her kids about accountability.
    and a big round of for Ms. Base.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

+ Reply to Thread