+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6457Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

I also love to wrap presents. I wish wrapping paper and fancy ribbon wasn't so expensive. I am pretty fast at it but each gift has to look unique and beautiful or I will redo it.

Quote Originally Posted by echo226;2714859;
    . . . I also would rather spend a dollar at the dollar store for a container of some sort, ... a basket, a tin, a plastic box, a tote thing, a wastebasket, ... whatever ... than pay a dollar or more for a paper gift bag.
    What a cool idea -- where even the "wrapping" becomes a useful gift!
    ::taking notes::
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

That is a great idea!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Echo, that really is a great idea! I love containers and love receiving them! I never thought at giving them as part of the gift! What fun...

When my nieces or nephews had birthdays, I often bought them a small messenger bag or backpack and put their (wrapped) presents in there. It was so much fun watching them unzip all the compartments looking for their treats...and the bag often became their school bag to use...

MRD

I haven't done this in a while (no grads lately to buy for), but for HS grads headed to college, I would buy a plastic laundry basket, laundry soap, toilet paper and some cleaners adn cleaning rags, brushes, etc. Stuff they need, but don't want to spend their money on (I remember THAT well). I'd always throw in something fun too like candy or treats or something. But I would fill up the basket with "practical" products and it always got a big thank you (so that money mom gave me for the grocery store, I can now use for BEER!!!!! )
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2715495;
    I haven't done this in a while (no grads lately to buy for), but for HS grads headed to college, I would buy a plastic laundry basket, laundry soap, toilet paper and some cleaners adn cleaning rags, brushes, etc. Stuff they need, but don't want to spend their money on (I remember THAT well). I'd always throw in something fun too like candy or treats or something. But I would fill up the basket with "practical" products and it always got a big thank you (so that money mom gave me for the grocery store, I can now use for BEER!!!!! )
    As gifts go, the laundry basket full of essentials gets from me. I got a similar gift when I graduated from college and was preparing to move 900 miles from home. Most of it was pretty handy, but I think that I still have the paper plates--I don't like paper plates and NEVER use them for meals.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2715495;

My mom is still practical when it comes to Christmas. We always get a case of toilet paper, paper towels, dish soap and laundry soap. I love it, I am 36 and still hate spending my money on that stuff.

I think that's a great idea, dagwood. At least that way, you get stuff you need. I'm tired of receiving all these gifts that I appreciate, because people went to the trouble and expense of getting it for me. But let's face it, I have everything I need and hate to see all that money being wasted. I'd much rather have people make a donation to a charity instead. At least that way, people who really need the help are getting it.

These stories remind me of the year I gave DD (then 7 or so) about a dozen pair of panties. What 7 year old wants panties? She needed them and was going to get them.

So I paperclipped them into one long string and stuffed them into a cardboard wrapping paper tube. Then just wrapped that. The kids were very perplexed about the long tube under the tree. Christmas morning you should've seen her face when she started pulling panties out of the tube..
    I very much believe in rescuing animals, not buying them.

Candice Bergen, on finding her dog, Lois, a terrier/basset hound mix

Quote Originally Posted by ScoutMom;2715608;
    I think that's a great idea, dagwood. At least that way, you get stuff you need. I'm tired of receiving all these gifts that I appreciate, because people went to the trouble and expense of getting it for me. But let's face it, I have everything I need and hate to see all that money being wasted. I'd much rather have people make a donation to a charity instead. At least that way, people who really need the help are getting it.
    It is a great idea. My mom rocks.

+ Reply to Thread