+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6260Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2712615;
    Odd as this may seem to some of my fellow FORTers, I have a bit of an ornery streak. I don't mind giving my ZIP code to cashiers, but when they ask for my phone number, I ask them if they are flirting with me, and that I'm flattered but they are too young to be of interest to me.
    Can I have your phone number?
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;2712584;
    Also, that zip code thing would drive customers crazy. We were also told it was to gather information as to where to build more stores but there hasn't been a new store built within 120 miles of my city in years.
    At stores, I never give my real zip code or phone number. I always use 90210 for the zip code (and I don't live in California) and I just don't give out a phone number. It's not a requirement--most people just automatically give it out 'cause they were asked for it. After having had a stalker, I usually will only give out a work phone # or my cell phone IF I have to...but as I stated earlier, one of my idiot neighbors passed my unlisted home number out to all our neighbors and these other neighbors now call me to say they missed me at their fill-in-the-blank party and they wanted to offer me the opportunity to buy some of their crap. I think next time, if I choose not to give them the FORT-endorsed NO!, I will tell them that they can come over 'cause I'd like to sell them some Mary Kay or whatever products, too. (And no, I don't sell anything but I wonder if they would still be so anxious for my business at that point...)

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2712688;
    At stores, I never give my real zip code or phone number. I always use 90210 for the zip code (and I don't live in California) and I just don't give out a phone number. It's not a requirement--most people just automatically give it out 'cause they were asked for it. After having had a stalker, I usually will only give out a work phone # or my cell phone IF I have to...but as I stated earlier, one of my idiot neighbors passed my unlisted home number out to all our neighbors and these other neighbors now call me to say they missed me at their fill-in-the-blank party and they wanted to offer me the opportunity to buy some of their crap. I think next time, if I choose not to give them the FORT-endorsed NO!, I will tell them that they can come over 'cause I'd like to sell them some Mary Kay or whatever products, too. (And no, I don't sell anything but I wonder if they would still be so anxious for my business at that point...)
    If you are going the 90210 route you could always tell them your phone # is 867-5309. A lot of younger kids don't know that number!

I highly recommend the "NO" road. It gets easier with every no, and you learn to say yes to what you actually want to do, and not feel guilty by saying no to what you don't want to do. It's quite liberating.

And entering into this conversation late but as for the self check-outs, usually I love them. Having been a cashier previously I knew without a doubt that I was faster than most of those Walmart checkers. It took a little bit of getting used to their system, but now I am pretty fast at it and almost always choose that line. And our Walmart has both small items self check-out as well as conveyor belt self checkouts too.

As for pumping my own gas, I maybe do that once a year. MrCoz knows that's his job in our house. If he can't do it (and before I met him) I go to the cash only place where they still pump the gas for me, and it's cheaper as a bonus. I hate pumping gas so on general principal refuse to do so. But I do remember the days of them pumping the gas, washing the windows, and checking the oil. That ended before I started driving (except for a few select places that charged outrageous prices and I don't even think those few do it anymore.)

Quote Originally Posted by justCoz;2712845;
    If you are going the 90210 route you could always tell them your phone # is 867-5309. A lot of younger kids don't know that number!
    Or the number that I use which is 736-5000 - PEnnsylvania 6-5000.. (heh heh heh)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by justcuz
    ..you could always tell them your phone # is 867-5309.

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2712878;
    Or the number that I use which is 736-5000 - PEnnsylvania 6-5000.. (heh heh heh)
    I don't get it...
    Am I just stoopid or not old enough?

I heard on the news the other day about a lady who is actually "recycling" her Christmas paper, boxes and bags! I was shocked that someone thought this was a new thing.

We have always recycled ribbons, bows, bags, and even nice paper. It's just too expensive to trash it all. Over the years, we've made special bows that are like "travelling pants". They are given one year, received and then given again the next. It's amazing how many have lasted over many years. Same with the "toaster" box that keeps showing up every year with different insides.

I also have Christmas boxes and I just fill with gifts. Family takes their gifts home, leave the boxes and I use them again next year. They are fancy laquered with floral bow toppers and look great whether they are full or empty. Very reusable.

I haven't bought a lot of gifts this year, but noticed that there doesn't seem to be boxes offered any more. Has anyone else noticed that? Not that I mind.

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2713216;

I don't get it...
    Am I just stoopid or not old enough?
    You're not stupid, or old enough. I just happened to use that because I always liked the Glenn Miller tune Pennsylvania 6-5000.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

My favorite phone number when I used to hang around in bars was 456-7890. That would be in area code 123. It actually worked on some guys who I hope were a bit too drunk, because the idea that anyone could be that stupid is scary!
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2713321;
    You're not stupid, or old enough. I just happened to use that because I always liked the Glenn Miller tune Pennsylvania 6-5000.
    That's one of my favorite Glenn Miller tunes.

I've always had something of a box fetish. I'm known far and wide as a box saver. I've even had friends come over and ask if they could peruse my box collection as they've needed a box for something. Same with those nice shopping bags with the twine like handles. I save all that stuff, But I do resue it. I probably have "shirt boxes" that have to be at least 10 years old that I've reused every Christmas.

I really prefer to do gift baskets as then you don't have to use wrapping paper and not much in the ribbon deparment either. (besides I HATE to wrap and my wrapped gifts look like a 3 year old wrapped them. Mr. Rosiedog wraps beautifully and I usually con him into wrapping gifts)

A nice way to wrap a smaller gift is to use a new kitchen towel and secure it with raffia and twine and maybe tie a wooden spoon to it for a bow.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Ha. I'm a horrible wrapper, too. People think that because I'm artistic, I wrap a mean present... couldn't be further from the truth. Mine also look like they were wrapped by a 3 year old and add to that my mom's training to NEVER use more than 3 pieces of tape. Stuff flapping everywhere. I still never use more than 3 pieces of tape. I'm afraid she'll come screaming out here from Ohio and chastise me. We reuse paper, too. It gets confusing since we also write names right on the paper. You can get a gift with more than one name on it, and then I have to try to remember what's in it or go in another room and unwrap/rewrap and then give it. heh. I remember my mom doing that, too.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread