+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6754Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by roseskid;2712029;
    Canadian_angel, I think the items are weighed so the machine knows you've put the same item in the bag that you scanned. Also, there's usually a clerk who stands within sight of the scanners ready to help, but I always assume also to watch for cheaters.
    And there are the exit scanners -- the ones at the doors -- that set off the alarm if someone exits with stuff that's still electronically coded. The alarm code / shoplifting code (or whatever it's called) is disabled when the item is scanned at checkout.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2711728;
    Didn't this toilet thing originate in Japan? I want to say that I read an article about these wondrous public toilets. Maybe I did; maybe I didn't.
    'Plush rest rooms' to be open in Times Square until New Year's
    Theyre going to make pay toilets. I'm still going to use the ones at the Port Authority.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2711759;
    But if someone just had your credit card number only like has been known to happen at restaurants, etc. by using one of those scanner devices they have they wouldn't know your zip code. It's just another way of protecting you. I have so many irate customers at the restaurant when I ask for their ID when their card isn't signed on the back. If it's not signed, I don't have to take it.
    My card is not signed on the back. It has "Check ID" on it instead and Unk, people only ask me for my ID about 1 out of 25 times I use it. Kudos to you and your restaurant for asking for ID.

Those exit scanners don't always work either. I am always tripping the alarm and have to show my receipt and its always an item that the "code" didn't work when it was scanned.

I have seen the San Fran toilets and they are indeed a wonder to behold. However, they were a nice sideline to my actual reason for a trip there. But yes, they are definetly a must see!! Or maybe that would be must use!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2711759;
    But if someone just had your credit card number only like has been known to happen at restaurants, etc. by using one of those scanner devices they have they wouldn't know your zip code. It's just another way of protecting you. I have so many irate customers at the restaurant when I ask for their ID when their card isn't signed on the back. If it's not signed, I don't have to take it.
    Mr. C actually refuses to sign the back of his credit card. His theory is that if someone steals his card and he has signed it, then they also have his signature right there to be able to duplicate it.

It has only caused a problem once - at the post office. The clerk wouldn't take his card for payment because it wasn't signed, and he wanted Mr. C to sign it in front of him. Mr. C laughed and said that if he had stolen the card, how would signing it in front of the guy prove that he really was the owner of the card? He ended up leaving with out getting the stamps that I needed that day . . . gggrrrr . . . but it really does make sense to me to NOT sign the back so that I don't give my signature away. I don't mind if people ask to see my ID - in fact, I wish every time I used my card that they would. But the back of my card hasn't been signed in over 10 years, and hopefully I'll be able to keep it that way!

I live in Texas, and the "enter your zip code thing" is on a TON more things that just gas pumps. I've had grocery stores, home improvement stores, etc. ask for it, as well as DVD kiosks - like Red Box. By the way, Red Box is the absolute BEST way to rent a DVD. You have to have a credit card, and then it is only $1.00 to rent a movie for one night - you have until 9 p.m. the following night to return it no matter how early you rented it the previous day. They have the kiosks at McDonalds, Walmart, and a few other places. The other great thing about Red Box is that you don't have to return the movie to the same kiosk you rented it from - you can take it to any Red Box! Another very convenient (and affordable) invention, if you ask me!
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

A long, long time ago, I used to work a Best Buy and we had to ask for zip codes from everyone. The purpose was not safety but marketing. They can figure out where people are coming from and determine if they need to build a store there. I believe that is the reason usually for having your zip code asked for.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2712224;
    My card is not signed on the back. It has "Check ID" on it instead and Unk, people only ask me for my ID about 1 out of 25 times I use it. Kudos to you and your restaurant for asking for ID.
    Same here. Usually when people do ask for my ID, they are very sheepish about it. I don't understand freaking out on employees for doing their job.

I love the Red Box,

MRD

I have actually heard fraud experts say to write in sharpie "Check ID" on the backs of your cards and that is what I do, so if they do look, they have to ask for my driver's license before they take the card. I don't mind them doing it. I wanted them too which is why I wrote "check ID" on it.

As far as theives getting your signature, I don't think it really matters, if they have your card, no one is going to compare the signatures. In all my life, I've never had anyone question a signature. If my husband actually signed his own name to the back of a check, the bank might just actually ask then to see the signature card as I've been signing his name for years and my version of it looks nothing like his. All anyone wants to see is a signature and if they have nothing to compare it too, how does that protect you.

Yes, after the fact in cases of fraud, they can compare signatures, but having yours or not having yours isn't going to prevent it.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-09-2007 at 09:48 AM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

The signature strip on the back of credit cards is so little that it can be hard to get my signature on there; if I sign my signature that small, it is not going to look like my regular signature, anyway. I finally got my signature on there, and the damn thing has a smear mark straight through the middle of it, caused by swiping...and I signed this several days before I used it. No one has given me any grief about it, but it is very annoying....or maybe it's a blessing in disguise. I've also run into the problem of the signature strip wearing off, and having to order a new card, more than once. Glad there is no charge for that.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Yardgnome, former Best Buy employee here too! I was a cashier and customers hated it when I asked to see their ID if their card wasn't signed but that was our policy, even though many of the cashiers didn't bother. I would kindly explain that I'm protecting them. Some would thank me but others could be quite nasty. I've had several tell me they don't sign it because they want the cashier to ask to see their ID. Then I had to explain to them that if someone did steal their card, all they'd have to do is sign the back and then use it. The signature would then match, because it would be the theif's signature. That explanation was usually met with blank looks. Most people just couldn't grasp the concept . I signed the back of mine but also have SEE ID in bigger letters (and black marker) then the signature. But these days I hardly ever need to show my ID since I swipe the card myself and use my PIN at the grocery and retail stores.

Also, that zip code thing would drive customers crazy. We were also told it was to gather information as to where to build more stores but there hasn't been a new store built within 120 miles of my city in years.

Odd as this may seem to some of my fellow FORTers, I have a bit of an ornery streak. I don't mind giving my ZIP code to cashiers, but when they ask for my phone number, I ask them if they are flirting with me, and that I'm flattered but they are too young to be of interest to me.

+ Reply to Thread