+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7290Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2711389;
    If we're going to be like the Jetson's, then I want Rosie the robot maid.
    I want the flying car that folds up into a briefcase -- though I'd go a step further and integrate it into a cell phone. No need to find parking!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2711547;
    I always fly through when I use U-Scan-It. I think it's the best thing since sliced bread!
    Me too -- I LOVE the self-checkout things. It's so much faster and way more pleasant than having to wait for the parent-of-the-year candidates to finish prying candy bars out of their little monsters' sticky fingers, or waiting for the gummers to either figure out the difference between debit or credit, or to take an hour to pull out their checkbook and start writing out the check as slowly as humanly possible.
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-08-2007 at 08:29 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;2711638;
    Someone already did. In San Francisco, they have these self-cleaning public restrooms. They're very roomy, too. You go in, latch the door (20-minute limit so no one gets the bright idea of making it their hotel room for the night or whatever), do your thing, leave -- and when you leave, the restroom closes itself up for a few minutes while it hoses itself down and disinfects itself for the next person. Best. Invention. Ever. (And yes, the toilet paper somehow stays dry.)
    OK, I don't usually drool over public toilets but this sounds soooooooooooo neat! And clean!

I actually like the self checkout lines. I can do it at my own pace and make sure it's charging me the correct price! When cashiers ring them up, I've gotten home so many times and gone through my receipt only to find that all the sale items show up as full price... :nono Most of the time I have too any items to use the self check out lane though...

I've noticed that a gas station by my mom's house now asks for your zip code when you use your credit card at the pump. At first, I didn't notice it and had no idea why my gas wasn't pumping! I think it's actually a good idea. If someone steals your credit card and doesn't know where you live, they wouldn't be able to use it...there. But of course if they stole it, they probably also have the rest of your wallet with your drivers license which has your zip code...hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2708525;
    I had an assistant manager that would come stick her face real close to my plate of food every time I ate to see "What are you having, boy that looks good" or "No I'm in the mood for something else." That's fine, I wasn't preparing a plate for you anyway.
    People can be so rude. Since I've lost all this weight I have had many people ask "Are you sick?" or "Did you lose all that weight on purpose?" I would never ask someone that directly. What if I did have a fatal disease? Why in the heck would you do that to someone?

I stuck my foot in my mouth the other day. My Doctors wife is also the receptionist in his office. I had previously noticed that she had that below the waist "spread" people who sit a lot sometimes get.
    Well she lost some weight, and I said quietly and discreetly ... "Did you lose some weight ?" she beamed and said "A little." ... and big mouth me said ... "oh, it looks like a lot." Argh ! She said "only about 10 pounds", but really it looked to me like a lot more. I made somewhat of a save by saying that it appeared like more because she actually looked taller, and great, nonetheless ... but I still felt bad.

I should have just said she looked great, and not even menioned weight loss. Luckily, I was able to make some follow-up jokes, so hopefully it slid by ... but I hate it when I open my mouth and my brains fall out. There is little one can do to recover from that kind of goof up.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2711564;
    The Bi-Lo (I always think this sounds so weird saying that word) grocery store ones work fine for me. It's only at Walmart. Of course by checkout I'm ready to yank someone baldheaded anyway, so I think its just messing with me.

I'm like Newf, I'd rather be paying the cashier's wages to check me out.

It's going to be like self-serve gas before long isn't it?
    I really do miss the days of full serve gas, where someone pumped the gas, washed the windshield and checked the oil and I sat in the car and paid at the end.

That's how I want to shop too. Someone else scans the stuff and I pay at the end. "put scanned item in the bag, put scanned item in te bag" ARRRGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Our local Jewel has them and I've never tried it. I would try it if they gave me a discount, say 10% off the entire check ... for doing both the cashier's and bagger's job.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2711672;
    OK, I don't usually drool over public toilets but this sounds soooooooooooo neat! And clean!

I actually like the self checkout lines. I can do it at my own pace and make sure it's charging me the correct price! When cashiers ring them up, I've gotten home so many times and gone through my receipt only to find that all the sale items show up as full price... :nono Most of the time I have too any items to use the self check out lane though...

I've noticed that a gas station by my mom's house now asks for your zip code when you use your credit card at the pump. At first, I didn't notice it and had no idea why my gas wasn't pumping! I think it's actually a good idea. If someone steals your credit card and doesn't know where you live, they wouldn't be able to use it...there. But of course if they stole it, they probably also have the rest of your wallet with your drivers license which has your zip code...hmmm....
    Didn't this toilet thing originate in Japan? I want to say that I read an article about these wondrous public toilets. Maybe I did; maybe I didn't.

The zip code thing at the gas pump hasn't hit my location yet, so I guess you may be warning me about what is to come. Sounds like they are getting more personal than they need to be. Skeptical me says that this is not so much about security as it is marketing. Just call me 'Cynical'. This society has been getting further and further away from "the greater good" for the consumers.....if it ever was there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2711672;
    But if someone just had your credit card number only like has been known to happen at restaurants, etc. by using one of those scanner devices they have they wouldn't know your zip code. It's just another way of protecting you. I have so many irate customers at the restaurant when I ask for their ID when their card isn't signed on the back. If it's not signed, I don't have to take it.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2711759;
    But if someone just had your credit card number only like has been known to happen at restaurants, etc. by using one of those scanner devices they have they wouldn't know your zip code. It's just another way of protecting you. I have so many irate customers at the restaurant when I ask for their ID when their card isn't signed on the back. If it's not signed, I don't have to take it.
    Ah, that's good to know! Thanks Unklescott.

prhoshay
    , I think it is a security method (at least on this pump) 'cause I accidentally punched in my old zip code and it wouldn't work. But when I punched in the zip code for my current address--where my bills are sent--it worked fine.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 12-08-2007 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2711728;
    Didn't this toilet thing originate in Japan? I want to say that I read an article about these wondrous public toilets. Maybe I did; maybe I didn't.
    I wouldn't be surprised -- I wish we had them in San Diego, especially in the beach areas where the public toilets are stinky with doors that don't lock! I was so fascinated with those wonder-toidies while on vay-cay in San Fran! Really, even the doors are cool. Ya gotta go to San Francisco -- if for no other reason than to see the magic restrooms!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Thanks everyone for explaining self scanners. They seem like more hassle than help currently! But now my other question is, what stops people from not scanning certain items and just putting them in the bag and/or walking out with something altogether?
    Is there something that prevents people from leaving without paying/scanning?

Quote Originally Posted by Yardgnome;2711595;
    I'm with you, I like U-Scan. I prefer it to waiting for the cashier to put everything in the bag. I can whip through there with a cart full super fast. Our grocery stores have had them for a while and the technology has really upgraded on them in the past couple of years making them even quicker and easier to use.
    I'm a self-scanning fan, too. I love those things and will actually drive a little further so I don't have to wait in line while customers chat up the checker, don't like the price and insist on substituting some other product, etc. I'm usually in and out before the line next to me has barely moved.

Canadian_angel, I think the items are weighed so the machine knows you've put the same item in the bag that you scanned. Also, there's usually a clerk who stands within sight of the scanners ready to help, but I always assume also to watch for cheaters.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread