+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5651Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

No!

Dang, that did feel good.

Our neighbor that had offered to make us dinner when we were going through that rough patch recently and never came through... Well, now she's promised us another treat ('cause my husband shoveled their sidewalk the past few days while he was doing ours--I actually told him to stop doing it 'cause they will never do it themselves if he keeps doing it for them). You can bet I'm not holding my breath. I'm not sure why people don't just say, "Thank you!" instead of making empty promises... (Otherwise known as LYING!) It probably feels good at the time they're saying it, and maybe they even believe they will follow through...

I can sure identify with having trouble saying No, especially to children's fundraising projects. I used to get bombarded at work with everything my co-workers'children were selling. Once I bought one thing from one person, the word went around and everyone would come calling.

I get a lot of companies selling things or wanting donations door to door. I just tell them I'm not working and I can't afford it. When they hear "I have no money" they don't even bother to talk me into it. If they persist and want explanations and get obnoxious, I ask, What part of I have no money don't you understand?

Try this Lois:
    No, thank you. ....And repeat.
    No, thank you. ....And repeat
    No, thank you. Until they leave you alone.

Oh, and smile when you say it
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2706537;
    Try this Lois:
    No, thank you. ....And repeat.
    No, thank you. ....And repeat
    No, thank you. Until they leave you alone.
    Or, do like gabriel and I would do. After the first "No, thank you," shut the door. Then you have no need to keep repeating yourself .

FORT Fogey Add It Up Champion famita's Avatar

And don't feel like you have to explain why not. Just leave it at "no"!

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

Yeah, no explanation needed. Just, screw you guys! i'm going home.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

MRD

You guys, I had the most amazing group of kids today at the museum. All 11 years old and just fabulous. They had the best questions and observations. I learn from them. Very insightful children and so very well behaved to their teacher's credit. No unabombers in this group today (unlike in the past where all they want to know is how to blow stuff up).

I honestly admire all you teachers, because while I enjoy what I do on a limited basis, I do not think I could teach full time. But with a group like I had today, it would definetly be enjoyable.

So hat's off to all you teacher's out there, you have my deep admiration and respect.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-05-2007 at 06:13 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2706928;
    You guys, I had the most amazing group of kids today at the museum. All 11 years old and just fabulous. They had the best questions and observations. I learn from them. Very insightful children and so very well behaved
    Cool! I didn't know that Buckeye children traveled so far on field trips.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2706996;
    Cool! I didn't know that Buckeye children traveled so far on field trips.
    What amazes me is that most of these kids are Clemson fans. I had no idea the ACC conference (the one FSU plays in) had such smart kids.

Here's an example of today's input from the kids. Most adults I know, don't know this stuff. I am just blown away.

Is it true Hitler was a corporal in the German army in WWI?

The Zimmerman telegram is what finally pushed the US into the war

Airplanes were first used as aerial reconnasence.

Machine guns made to fire betwen the propeller blades of airplanes as blades rotate.

The British developed the tank.

German submarines are called U-boats.

Soldiers had to shave so gas masks would fit better and gas not seep in under beards.

THese are 11 year olds that have not yet begun to study the war yet in class. (scheduled for after the Christmas holiday).
    I wanted to say: "you gives give the talk and I'll sit and listen."

When I asked where they learned this stuff? Movies and video games and from parents or grandparents.

Simply amazing. And these were not gifted students, but regular 5th grade classes.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

My two peeves of the day:
    1. After rushing a small bit, walking out to the bus stop three minutes before the bus should leave (which should be enough time) I see it pass by. It left three minutes early. So then I had to wait for another ten minutes for the next one. Late buses are one thing, but early are even worse (OK, in this case I only had to wait ten minutes, but since I rushed a bit it was annoying).

2. At lunch sometimes I bring sandwiches or homemade baguettes. Many people have commented on the fact that my lunch is a bit dull. Even if it is, why do they care? And why point it out to me? Would they say "that looks disgusting" if they didn't like something? It's my food, so long as I'm happy with it, why should someone else bother?

Sorry for the rants but it's been bugging me all day.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Buses being early can create just as much of a problem as buses being late. I, now, appreciate the buses that I've seen sitting on the side of the road because they are ahead of schedule.

When I was in high school, I sometimes rode the city bus, and that wonderful driver got to the place where he would pull up to my corner and spend a little time waiting/looking for me...and I'd come around the corner in a full run. That sweet man had to have my tendency toward lateness worked into his schedule. Luckily, there usually weren't any people to pick up between my stop and where I got off. I promise it was 1 minute or less that I was behind! I've gotten much better about being on time in my old age.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread