+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5838Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Am I the only weirdo that thought the Peanuts gang danced really well last night? I was watching them and thinking, "I wish I could dance that well!" Honestly...

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Their dancing at the Christmas party always reminded me of The Andy Griffith Show, when Opie was afraid to get out on the floor because he didn't think he could dance. Those kids danced just like Charlie Brown's buddies!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I guess this would've gone in the old pet peeve thread, but here goes. How do you all recommend that I deal with an endless stream of people who want me to buy their overpriced crap? I'm not talking about phone solicitors, but neighbors. I've bought stuff from my friends at all their stupid parties, just to be a good friend. But at least I know them well. Now I'm being bombarded with neighbors doing the same thing--and I don't consider the bulk of them as close anything.

Honestly, I'm sick of it. First I bought all the junk their kids were selling for school/Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts (well, I do like those cookies!). And now all the stay at home moms (and this is nothing against stay at home moms...I wish I was one!) are selling beauty products/candles/and other things that I don't want or need. And they won't take "no" for an answer. These are nice people and I want to remain neighborly, but after I say, "No, I won't be able to attend your _______ party," I thought they'd get the hint. But then I've gotten calls asking if they could just stop over to show me their line of ______ that I would just love. I wimped out 'cause I felt bad saying, "No," and ended up buying their overpriced junk that I will never use. Now they've spawned by recruiting more neighbors into their pyramid scheme and these neighbors are "inviting" me to buy their crap, too.

The part that really ticks me off is that one of my stupid neighbors gave my unlisted phone # to all these women, so if I RSVP no, they call me at home. I know--that's what Caller ID is for...but what is this anyhow?!

Anyhow, I know that I just need to stand firm and say a polite but unmistakeable, "Thanks, but no thanks! And good luck to ya." But I'm such a freaking wimp sometimes...
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 12-04-2007 at 04:01 PM. Reason: To edit typo

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2705575;
    I guess this would've gone in the old pet peeve thread, but here goes. How do you all recommend that I deal with an endless stream of people who want me to buy their overpriced crap? I'm not talking about phone solicitors, but neighbors. I've bought stuff from my friends at all their stupid parties, just to be a good friend. But at least I know them well. Now I'm being bombarded with neighbors doing the same thing--and I don't consider the bulk of them as close anything.

Honestly, I'm sick of it. First I bought all the junk their kids were selling for school/Boy Scouts/Girl Scouts (well, I do like those cookies!). And now all the stay at home moms (and this is nothing against stay at home moms...I wish I was one!) are selling beauty products/candles/and other things that I don't want or need. And they won't take "no" for an answer. These are nice people and I want to remain neighborly, but after I say, "No, I won't be able to attend your _______ party," I thought they'd get the hint. But then I've gotten calls asking if they could just stop over to show me their line of ______ that I would just love. I wimped out 'cause I felt bad saying, "No," and ended up buying their overpriced junk that I will never use. Now they've spawned by recruiting more neighbors into their pyramid scheme and these neighbors are "inviting" me to buy their crap, too.

The part that really ticks me off is that one of my stupid neighbors gave my unlisted phone # to all these women, so if I RSVP no, they call me at home. I know--that's what Caller ID is for...but what is this anyhow?!

Anyhow, I know that I just need to stand firm and say a polite but unmistakeable, "Thanks, but no thanks! And good luck to ya." But I'm such a freaking wimp sometimes...
    "I'm flattered you thought of me, but at this time, I unfortunately (regrettably) have so much on my plate that I am unable to attend/buy/have you stop over. I know you understand, but since my father passed, its just been very hard for me. But I wish you the very best of luck."

If they push after this, then a firm hard NO, is not uncalled for, in fact, it's almost a demand for it.

I've noticed that if you kind of give them a compliment, it helps for some reason (I'm FLATTERED you asked, but unfortunately I cannot")

I also have a no solicitation sign by my front door for those door to door people.

I wonder if anyone's ever done a study on the economy and the proliferation of these kinds of businesses and if the number of people that work the direct sales businesses actually grow as the economy worsens. Just my weird mind rambling because I seem to notice the same thing a lot more lately.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;2705646;
    "I'm flattered you thought of me, but at this time, I unfortunately (regrettably) have so much on my plate that I am unable to attend/buy/have you stop over. I know you understand, but since my father passed, its just been very hard for me. But I wish you the very best of luck."
    That's a great tip, thank you! I will let you know that one of these neighbors showed up on my doorstep a few days after my father passed away. I was in the living room crying and she could see me through, so I didn't feel like I could play possum. She had her kids with her and they wanted to sell me something. I couldn't freaking believe it. She looked apologetic and said that she had told her kids that Mrs. Lane's father passed away, but THEY INSISTED on coming to my house to sell me crud so she couldn't stop them. I didn't buy anything. Not that time...

Lois, you may or may not be aware that I am an environmentally friendly nutcase . Personally, I've found this to be a wonderful way of not buying things I don't need. Because I can be fairly annoying on the subject, most people I know are aware of my friend-to-the-environment stance, so they really can't object to my "sorry, but in all good faith I can't buy anything I don't actively require, or anything that contains non-biodegradable chemicals. But good luck with your sales, though". If they're selling something biodegradable, there's still the "don't need" clause.

And seriously, your neighbour really needs to learn how to parent properly, because sometimes that means saying no.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Thats a great tip myrosiedog, and good to see you're home being loved by the family.

Lois you might just have to go the route of adding (if they insist on pushing something at you) I just really don't want to buy anything. You might actually have to be firm and kind of tough. It took me years to get tough to neighbors selling stuff. But finally after I told the first one " I'm really sorry but I simply cannot buy that" it got easier.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;2705675;
    That's a great tip, thank you! I will let you know that one of these neighbors showed up on my doorstep a few days after my father passed away. I was in the living room crying and she could see me through, so I didn't feel like I could play possum. She had her kids with her and they wanted to sell me something. I couldn't freaking believe it. She looked apologetic and said that she had told her kids that Mrs. Lane's father passed away, but THEY INSISTED on coming to my house to sell me crud so she couldn't stop them. I didn't buy anything. Not that time...
    I was going to post, "you've got to be kidding me", but really nothing surprises me anymore with people.

I don't care how much my child insists, I'm still the parent and it's up to me to teach them what's in good taste, when things are appropriate, etc. and to say no. Why do I think that it was not the kids but the parent in this case.

My daughter HATED selling stuff and I hated her to do it. I would rather give a donation directly to the school/scouts, etc. than have her hit up my friends for that crap. The only thing we did sell was Girl Scout cookies, but that's one of those things that kind of sells itself. They're pretty popular. But know this, for every $3.50 box of cookies you buy, the troop only gets about 60 cents of that.

I used to be in sales and I can't tell you how much I hate being sold too. I know its a contradiction, but there you go. But I guess that having been in sales, I would rather have someone be honest with me and say no right off the bat. And honestly, one of the things I learned about being in sales is that hearing no is not going to kill you. But not everyone is like me. Sales are hard, but if you're going to do it, you have to know that people are going to say no and you also need to know that you don't want your friends running from you when they see you in the grocery store.

Still I have found that doing the little "I'm flattered you thought of me" is a way of letting them down gently.

Well the status quo has returned. I'm back to filling water bowls, cleaning the kitchen, doing laundry and cooking supper. I guess I should have looked on the last couple of days as my little "vacation".
    Seriously though, I am more than glad to be home doing all this. I feel pretty good. My tummy is still not quite right, but I do feel better. I had better feel better. I have 100 fifth graders that are eager to learn about WWOne tomorrow. I have 4 classes to teach starting at 8:30.

And I feel like the grand marshall of a parade. The 3 dogs have followed me from room to room all day. If I turn around suddenly I am tripping over one of them (usually Waldo) My husband said they just about drove them crazy as every car they heard, they RAN to the window to see if it was me. And apparantly there was a lot of traffic in the neighborhood while I was gone.
    Last edited by MRD; 12-04-2007 at 08:33 PM.

I refuse to let my daughter sell stuff for the school fundraisers. It annoys me when people try to sell to me so I won't let her annoy others with their ridiculously overpriced crap. What really bugs me is that they make it a contest, the more you sell the cooler the prize you get. My daughter goes to school in a very poor school and it just doesn't seem right.

Now, when she was a girl scout, that was different. People sought us out to buy cookies.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;2705850;
    I refuse to let my daughter sell stuff for the school fundraisers. It annoys me when people try to sell to me so I won't let her annoy others with their ridiculously overpriced crap. What really bugs me is that they make it a contest, the more you sell the cooler the prize you get. My daughter goes to school in a very poor school and it just doesn't seem right.

Now, when she was a girl scout, that was different. People sought us out to buy cookies.
    Oh, that contest crap used to burn me up. I hated that. And being a PTO president, you get hit up by all the fundraising companies that want to come into the school to "organize" your fundraiser. I hated all of them too. They are the ones that run the "contests" and try to get the kids all worked up for it. And they end up making more money than the school too. We never used one of them while I was PTO. Our big fundrasier was a self done and promoted golf tournament.

+ Reply to Thread