+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6791Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Sorry queenb. All I got from your post is that you draw and paint things. Do you ever do black and white snowy things? I've asked my mother, who is a very talented artist but has too much going on to devote time to her skill, for a sketch or something for my den. I'm doing a black and white thing. If you ever want to make a few extra bucks and are in the market for that kind of thing, PM me. I like original stuff. I also would like a big Iris painting for my kitchen and I can't wait for my daughter to get out of her anime phase.
    One of these days I'll stop being sensitive. Until then, I'll continue to be devastated on a daily basis. Life breaks my heart.

SNOW DAY! WOO HOO! Now I can decorate the Christmas tree!
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;2703683;
    SNOW DAY! WOO HOO! Now I can decorate the Christmas tree!
    Says the teacher. I imagine all the parents are going UGH, SNOW DAY! What do I do with my child.

All the schools in Montreal are closed. We are getting 12 inches of snow. Schools here wouldn't close for anything less.

Yes, it's true. At least my kids are sleeping in and by the time they wake up, I'll be ready to go out and shovel out the car. We only got a couple of inches, but it's layered with ice and freezing rain is predicted until this afternoon, so treacherous roads. Hope we don't lose electricity.
    Count your blessings!

A few days ago in SoCal, we had real rain - that wet stuff that drops from clouds - and I loved the excuse to stay inside and get cozy with a book. Now it's back to sunshine which seems brighter after that one day of rain.

Back to holiday foods - sorry I didn't catch it at the time it was posted - but my mother's mother made a chess pie for her contribution to Christmas. I made it once and the ingredients included dates and walnuts. Plop a dollop of whip cream on top, and wowza! My grandmother's family migrated west from the hills of North Carolina and some of the recipes and superstitions traveled with them. So, for my immediate family (in the old days) the holidays became a combo of Swedish and Southern tradition as far as food.

I need to start looking for a compensated job soon...and land one before the extended health/dental benefits from the lay-off from my previous employer run out in May. I am at an age where health benefits are really needed, yet not old enough for medicare. This being a "woman of a certain age" part of my life is becoming more awkward than being a teenager. I should take up the Stan Lee challenge of "Excelsior!" and just get on with it. LOL!

I, too, have extended family that have promised to be correspondents, if not close, only to be disappointed time and again. I, after many misdirections, finally got one cousin to respond to me regarding the passing on of a family heirloom, and heard many heartfelt, "We must keep in touch" promises. It hasn't happened, nor did the daughter send an email or call with thanks for the items forwarded to her. I've gone through this scenario for the past fifteen years with this person, and I don't hold any hope that her good intentions are more than just that.

I guess my thought on thoughtless family is to back away from them, regardless of the perceived emotional ties.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

Amy Lee: They need to make hair dye that doesn't stick to the walls, and floor and ceramic sink and tiles! And self-corrects for what you can't see in the mirror!

gabriel: Meowza! I would never have imagined being told something like that to my face. Spoiled and ungrateful is right.

Gutmutter and Desert rose: Congrats on your snow day. I just went out and shovelled several inches of the fluffy stuff. Both east and west coasts appear to be getting hit rather hard this week!

LoisLane: When we were young, we knew we didn't have much money, so we were hardly ever asked what we wanted for Christmas or birthdays. And if we were, we were too scared to suggest anything expensive. We were just happy to get what we needed which was usually new pj's, underwear and socks. With the occasional pair of boots. Mom made most of our clothes until we were in high school. And we always wore hand-me-downs even if they weren't in style. Me, being the youngest, had to wear the same thing 3 times until I outgrew all of the sizes!

brunette trixie: You remember the 80's?!!

prhoshay: Yes, please. Send me that e-mail!

Arielflies, queenb: I do this to myself almost every year. I put my cousins or other friends off my list but then feel like I'm the bad guy, even though I have always been there for them all. To support their new homes, careers, relationships, come-buy-stuff-from-me parties, etc. I guess I still want to hear that they really do care and want to keep in touch. But then getting disappointed really isn't worth it in the long run. I need to grow up.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

misskitty, don't upset yourself with other people's shortcomings. Their lack of manners and consideration shouldn't lead you into negative feelings.

My best friend for many years moved to England about twelve years ago. For every five 15-page letters I sent her, I got one three line note back. When we started e-mailing, every 10 e-mails sent got one back. I eventually noticed that the return letters and e-mails I received only came when she wanted something (help with immigration in order to come back to Canada with her husband, or a place to stay while she visited). Once she decided to stay in England, she pretty much stopped getting in touch. After a load of e-mails went unresponded to, I decided to give up on her and I feel much less resentment (okay, still a little resentment). And I've decided that should she come back to visit, she's not staying with me. I'm not putting myself out for someone who has so little affection for me that they can't be bothered to send a tiny hello once in a while.

So give up on the thoughtless, focus on those who make your life better, and just enjoy them instead of worrying about people who obviously aren't worth your time and attention.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Rattus, I have a friend who I used to be pretty close to. She's a nice person but was and always will be very self centered. I would always remember her birthday but she would never remember mine--and then she would scold me for not reminding her it was my birthday. I'm almost 40 now so I don't need people remembering my birthday! But I was completely shocked by her lack of manners when my father passed away. She had shared many meals with my parents and me and knew them. I called to tell her he passed away, and she asked for funeral arrangement info, which I sent her (she moved to a different state a couple years ago). I never heard from her. She didn't fly in for the funeral (which is understandable), she didn't send flowers, she didn't send a card, nothing. A couple weeks after the funeral, she left me a voice mail message basically almost crying and saying she felt like she had been an awful friend (which she had been). I would've felt sympathetic towards her, but it wasn't an "I'm sorry" call, but more of a "I need YOU to make ME feel better about my having been an inconsiderate jerk" call. I didn't have the energy to call her back. She sent me an email that basically said the same thing. I finally called her back and had to listen to her tell me about how her boyfriend's mother wants to kill herself. And I was furious. My father was struggling to survive and was hoping to make it to his next birthday (he didn't), and she's cavalierly telling me about a woman I don't know who wants to kill herself? Not that I want anyone to kill themselves, but I was thinking why couldn't my father have survived and this woman who didn't want to be alive trade places?

Her father passed away a few years ago. She should've remembered how comforting it felt to be surrounded by friends and loved ones at his funeral.

Anyhow, after that incident, I have no desire to maintain a friendship. You can screw me over...but disrespect the memory of my father like that...No.

Lois, wow. Your friend makes my friend look a quite thoughtful by comparison. Perhaps they should get together with misskitty's cousin and have an all-about-me party .

But you're right about not making any further effort to maintain a friendship with her. Toxic relationships like that only make the quality of your own life a little more dismal.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Y'all can keep your cold weather. I hate winter and don't want any part of it. We had some light flurries here and that was more than enough.

+ Reply to Thread