+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 2552 FirstFirst ... 84849505152535455565758596061626364656667681081585581058 ... LastLast
Like Tree7280Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

Can you believe that I had already decided to never, ever buy that stuff because of that guy they have yelling about it on tv? They really need someone who is not so terribly irritating for that job. I am surely not the only one who is turned off by him. I had dismissed a great product and thankfully my friend had not.

I was leaving for work this morning at 5:30 am. I open my garage door and slowly back out. There is a nice breeze and toilet paper is gently blowing in the breeze, hanging from the trees around my driveway.
    My kids are gonna be busy boys cleaning up that mess today.
    Kids...

MRD
    I too think tipping has gotten out of hand.

And I agree with Uncle DAvid about Canadian tipping practices. While I love Canadians, most of my friends in the restaurant business do not for the exact reasons Uncle David said. Unfortunately it has gotten to be a belief in Florida that Canadians are cheap.

However, I think tipping depends on where you are from.

Our exchange student from New Zealand had NEVER tipped as they don't in their country. So we had to inform her that when in a restaurant here it is customary to tip.

I tip 20% usually for restaurants. More for outstanding service (rare) and less for bad service. I have also taken to leaving a small note with a small tip explaining why I did not tip at least the full 15%. Did this the other day.

I left 10% and said: Your tip would have been more, but we were ignored, had to ask for refills of drinks, had to run you down in the restaurant to get the bill and then had to ask another server to get you to come get our check and CC to run after waiting 15 min. for you to come back (I timed it). Had you been more attentive, more friendly (she never spoke to us and barely looked us in the eye and her entire attitude was "I'm above this") you would have received my customary tip of 20%.

I have NEVER understood why servers in restaurants who really rely on tips give such bad service and I've found it to be the norm here and not the exception. If I was working for tips, I'd be busting my hump to provide, fast, friend and excellant service.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I have NEVER understood why servers in restaurants who really rely on tips give such bad service and I've found it to be the norm here and not the exception. If I was working for tips, I'd be busting my hump to provide, fast, friend and excellant service.
    See, that's why we Canadians tip so poorly .
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

myrosiedog just mentioned one of my peeves. Why is it that the server is by your table every two minutes, asking you questions while your mouth is full, and then disappears when you're ready for your check? I just hate sitting there, on and on when there are people waiting to be seated. I sometimes wish I'd perfected that shrill, fingers in mouth, whistle that can take the paint off the walls. Bet I'd get noticed then, huh?

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    See, that's why we Canadians tip so poorly .
    OK, now I understand! :smile

Being that Florida is a tourist state and relies on tourist dollars for our economy, we do get a huge influx of visitors and generally the consensus is that while you neighbors from the north are very nice and friendly, you don't tip well.

I personally have never had any experience with Canadian tipping (and I left a nice tip in the restaurant we ate in in Victoria by the way) but my experience with Canadians has always been pleasant especially my good Canadian friends here on the Fort. (did I suck up enough to get out of the doghouse? :smile)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

We, Canadians, don't tip well because we can't do the math. Plain and simple.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty View Post
    We, Canadians, don't tip well because we can't do the math. Plain and simple.
    That isn't strictly a Canadian shortcoming, believe me.

In our county, the tax rate is 9.25% To tip, I double the tax and add a little extra. That's eighteen and a half percent, plus whatever extra I choose to add. That makes it pretty simple for me. My husband has yet to master that concept. I always have to tell him how much to tip. He's normally a generous person but for some reason, he would often stiff the server if I didn't intervene.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    In our county, the tax rate is 9.25% To tip, I double the tax and add a little extra. That's eighteen and a half percent, plus whatever extra I choose to add. That makes it pretty simple for me. My husband has yet to master that concept. I always have to tell him how much to tip. He's normally a generous person but for some reason, he would often stiff the server if I didn't intervene.
    he can't help it he's math-challenged! The double the tax rate method works fine for me in most places...Occasionally I dine in cities where the tax rate is under 8%!! I have to make a point to remember to more than double the tip so I don't stiff the server.

I've never left a note for a bad server like Myrosiedog has, but that's an excellent idea. I never worked as a server 'cause I know I'd be a bad one--I'd probably spill things and forget the orders and would receive no tips EVER. When I get a really good server, besides leaving a generous tip, I'll let the manager know (they often walk around and see how everyone's doing so it's not hard to find them) how great our server was.

FORT Newbie
    Lois, you get good servers? Cause I'd like to move to where you live. Most of the waiter/waitresses/hostesses just...aren't very good. We still tip, but only because we feel obliged to.

+ Reply to Thread