+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6933Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

MRD

Re: FORT Koffee Klatch

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2693282;

Sort of on the same theme, I WILL NOT EAT LUTEFISK EVER AGAIN
    I watched how it was made on tv and I wouldn't even try it the first time. So my hat's off to you for even attempting it.

I will not eat chitlins. Ever, even on a bet. Nope, not happening and that goes for pickled pigs feet too. 2 things you see a lot of in the South. But not going to find me partaking. But I have eaten other strange things like rattlesnake, possum and squirrel.

Rattus, my mother used to serve beef tongue and I would not eat it. I have a problem eating things that look like they could eat me back!

Livin: have not started baking, but have started buying baking supplies and gathering recipes.

I'd love to see the food blog, so it you can't post it here, can you PM it to me? Thanks.
    Last edited by MRD; 11-27-2007 at 01:25 PM.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

"LUTEFISK". Define, please.

Chitterlings. What I know about these is that some people boil them, some cook them in the oven, and Granny Clampett used to fry them. I've heard that they don't taste like they smell, and that you should add hot sauce. I have a fairly adventurous palate, so I would probably try them if the opportunity presented itself.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2693470;
    "LUTEFISK". Define, please.
    My definition would be: NASTY.

It's swedish and it's preserved in lye.

More specifically, it is cod preserved in lye.

Funny, true story: My late brother was a pastor in a Scandinavian region of the US, and a lot of his congregation were old Norwegians. They were forever going on about "the old country" and how things were different--they don't drink back in the old country. They don't smoke back in the old country. A group of them went to Norway to visit distant kin, and one of the first things they were asked was if they brought any American cigarettes. No? What about American whiskey? Somewhere during the visit, one of the congregation asked about lutefisk, and was told, "We don't eat that nasty stuff!"
    "The road that is built in hope is more pleasant to the traveler than the road built in despair, even though they both lead to the same destination."
    --Marion Zimmer Bradley

MRD

That's funny Newf.

I have been fortunate that I was able to do some world traveling in my younger days.
    Almost the first question you get asked when they find out you are American:

"do you have such as a marl-o-borough???"

I had one older gentleman in India try to trade me turkish cigerettes for my American ones. I had smelled his and did not want to trade. And we think ours stink.

I had a smoking co-worker that, every now and then, was thrilled to get hold of Turkish cigarettes. I think all cigarette smoke smells super-hideous....until I smelled the Turkish cigarettes. Totally disgusting!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Newfherder;2693511;
    More specifically, it is cod preserved in lye.

Somewhere during the visit, one of the congregation asked about lutefisk, and was told, "We don't eat that nasty stuff!"
    Oh, the lutefisk stories... My grandfather used to preserve it the old fashioned way by soaking the cod for 10 months in a barrel filled with lye. One Christmas he and Grandma were traveling the 400 miles to our home on a bus with the finished raw product packed in a suitcase tucked under their seat. They were almost to their stop when passengers began complaining about a foul odor. Some liquid had leaked from the cardboard suitcase and had stunk up the bus.

Cooking that blasted stuff is very tricky as it is mostly liquid. In the old days we would use a very large spaghetti type pot and watch it closely. If you didn't take it off the stove at just the right moment you were left with a tablespoon of goopy fish flakes. Three years ago I finally (by accident) figured out how to cook it in the microwave, and it turned out drier and fluffier than the old method of boiling. It also saved cooking pots which always had to be trashed because of the black stain left by the lye.

We served this mess with melted butter, and I never tasted it but once in all my life. Once was enough. We also served Swedish meatballs as the other main dish at Christmas Eve dinner - thank goodness. Then there was Yulegrit for Christmas morning...whoever found the almond in this sweetened rice dish was to have good luck the following year.

Now that the folks have passed, I won't be dealing with family traditions anymore, but I cherish the memories.
    Last edited by Arielflies; 11-27-2007 at 02:57 PM.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

After hearing about the lutefisk story, it sounds like a wonderful time to be violently allergic to white fish!!! Why lye?

I was also brought up to eat breakfast rice with butter and salt. I think it's a southern thing, and my family was from Louisiana. Tasted sweet breakfast rice once, and thought I'd die! Blech!!! I guess it's all in what you are used to.

When we lived in Peru, walking through the open air market always had some smells to it, but the absolute worst was some type of potato that they let rot and ferment. It stank to high heaven and looked terrible. They assured me it made wonderful soup. I will try most everything, but I just couldn't do that soup.

I couldn't even begin to THINK about eating some of the stuff you're all talking about! I'm thinking I'm pretty adventurous because I'm planning on eating some of the bear that my husband got during a hunting trip to Maine. That's as about adventurous as I get.

+ Reply to Thread