+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 2552 FirstFirst ... 74748495051525354555657585960616263646566671071575571057 ... LastLast
Like Tree7289Likes

Thread: FORT Koffee Klatch

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

To Tip or Not to Tip...That is the question!

ArchieComic Fan brought up some really good points. When I've traveled overseas to places like the U.K. and New Zealand, the natives don't tip. And they don't expect tips (according to my friends who live there. I'm paranoid about tipping/not tipping 'cause I don't want to be considered an "Ugly (Cheap) American" so I either ask friends/locals or read up on the customs of wherever I'm going). BUT, what's happened is the locals are getting used to Americans coming and automatically tipping, so while they don't expect tips from tourists from some other countries, now they expect it if you have an American accent.

Same with cab drivers. I had one old English cabbie tell me the fare at the end of my trip, "5 pounds. Not including tip." Something he'd never tell a Brit. And I thought that was obnoxious. It made me not want to tip him (I did anyhow) even though I always tip cabbies. (And I always tip cabbies and servers at super cheap restaurants more than 20%--usually at least a couple dollars more--cause if your breakfast comes to $6.75, I'm not going to leave just a $1.35 for the poor server.)

UncleDavid's spa seems to have a good way of operating. A lot of people don't know how much to tip for hair/massage services etc. anyhow, so if they're told tip is automatically included, then they know going in what the total price is and don't have to worry about it. (UncleDavid, I will say that someone gave me a gift certificate for a massage as a present and when I tried to tip the massage therapist, she refused to accept a tip from me because "she had already been tipped in advance" by the person who gave me the certificate. I was pretty amazed at her honesty and that made me want to tip her extra even more--but she refused to take it. (But I did make a point of specifically requesting her the next time I booked a massage and that's where she finally accepted a tip from me.)

But as a consumer, I (in general) have no idea who is paid minimum wage and who isn't (outside of the food service industry, I mean). Does the kid working at McDonald's make any more than the barista at Starbucks? 'Cause I don't see any tip jars at McDonald's (yet). But there are tip jars at Starbucks...and I don't think either employee is doing any more or less work. (Although I'd rather work at Starbucks.) Is the guy who drives the ice cream truck now going to have a tip jar? How about the vendors who sell hot dogs on the street?

People who deliver flowers. Aren't you supposed to tip them? I always do. But no one else in the office seems to.

I remember reading about a case where a restaurant sued a customer for refusing to pay the 18% tip. (The restaurant had it on their menu that all parties of 6 or more would automatically be charged an 18% tip.) The customer won the case 'cause the judge ruled that the restaurant can't force customers to pay tips.

I don't tip the baggers or the cashiers at the grocery store but I do tip the boys who sometimes help me bring the bigger items to my car. (And yes, it's always a teenage boy, not a girl.)

Anyhow, I'll stop now 'cause I think I'm confusing myself at this point...but this is very very interesting. If we have any members from the UK or Latin America or Asia, I'd love to hear their customs there.
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 07-31-2006 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus View Post
    Out of curiosity, what are people telling you is the standard tipping practice in Canada? I don't know about elsewhere, but in Toronto the standard is 15% to 20%, with 20% pretty much the norm these days, and that's what I tip everywhere (depending on service, of course). Actually, my barber gets a 33% tip, but that's because the poor old guy can't afford to retire and I feel sorry for him . I think that tipping is considered differently in Montreal and the rest of Quebec, but I believe that they operate on a European system with which I'm not familiar, so I still tip when I'm there.
    Rattus, tipping in Montreal and the rest of Quebec is the same as the rest of Canada: 15-20%. The European system you mention is only for the Law. We have the Civil Law system, which is the Roman(esque) law.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertRose View Post
    Rattus, tipping in Montreal and the rest of Quebec is the same as the rest of Canada: 15-20%. The European system you mention is only for the Law. We have the Civil Law system, which is the Roman(esque) law.
    Well there you go - that's what I get for listening to...I can't remember who I listened to, but apparently they were mistaken. I'm really glad that I continue my tipping policies while I'm there. Montreal is one of my favourite cities in the world, by the way. When Mr. Rattus and I win a lottery, we're moving there.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    We have a rare Spa. Ours is an Adventure Spa. In addition to the standard Spa services and fitness classes we also offer hiking, mountain and road biking, rock climbing, kayaking etc. ..I'm known as Adventure Boy, Adventure Dude, Adventure Guy, et al.
    That is facinating! I've never heard of such a spa. What a fabulous idea. I'll be right over, next time I'm, you know, over that way I think Newfherder has it right though, you are probably BOTH surveilling the locker room via webcam
    --------
    As for the tipping topic, I'm one of the confused, bemused, and irritated. I tip 20% for services where I believe tipping is a given. However, I have seen magazine articles on tipping which almost infuriate me. They basically say that I have to tip everyone, everywhere, even though the person is making a salary. I do not agree with that at all. I would never tip a receptionist in an office. She's making a salary with benefits. I don't tip the cashier at the grocery store nor the bagger. That is their job. I don't tip the stewardess if I go on a plane. I don't tip the salesgirl who sold me my clothes.

If a favor was done let's say in my regular Dr.s' office to get me in during an emergency or something I would send a thank-you or bring her chocolates at Xmas. Some people expect tips above their salary, and I don't mean those on minimum wage. That goes without saying.
    For those of us who are on restricted incomes, I can't afford to tip people who are doing the job they are paid to do. I rarely and can barely afford to go out as it is.
    Last edited by misskitty; 07-31-2006 at 03:57 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    I was at this hotel in New York once and the concierge was very nice and got a porter to take my bags out when it was time for me to check out (I didn't ask him--he just did). I tried to tip him and he very politely declined. He said that was unnecessary and very discreetly pointed to the porter who had handled my bags. In other words, he was indicating that he was paid well to do things like this to help the hotel's guests. BUT, the porters made a lot less than he did and would appreciate any tip I would like to give them. So of course, I tipped the appropriate porter. (Am I even calling them by the right name? Is it porter? Bellhop? The guy who rolled my luggage out?)

A long time ago when my dad was a teenager, he worked as a busboy at a restaurant. He said he was at the mercy of whichever waitress he was working with because he got a cut of her tips. Some of the waitresses would be really nice and share the tips appropriately. But he said there were some who would always pretend they never got any tips :nono and he'd go home with almost no money.

My sister worked as a waitress and hostess for many years. She said that the first thing she did on a new job was to get acquainted with the kichen staff and busboys. She shared her tips with them and always got the very best service. She said that other waitresses would be angry because her orders came out so fast and she tried to share her secret but they wouldn't do the same, so, slower service and fewer tips for them.

By the way, my husband and I went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch today. Our waiter was very attentive but that man never cracked a smile. Actuallly, his expression never changed from total boredom. How can anyone get through the day like that? And why would they want to?

Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    OK, let me try to address everyone at the same timeÖ

As to tips received from Canadian customers visiting Las Vegas, servers here generally expect Canadians to tip 10%. If you provide exceptional service you may get a lucky 15%. Iím sorry to report that the great majority of Las Vegas food servers have a negative impression of Canadians.

I wish I could say I've had a different experience from the norm, but during my 13 years in the food business here I found that to be de rigueur for tips from Canadians. And I was a top waiter in restaurants with a $100+ per person check average. Excluding foreigners I averaged 19% to 25% a night. (I kept logs ) And it was a daily occurrence for me to receive tips in the 40% to 50% range. With rare exceptions Canadians left 10% to 15% at best. However, I love Canadian FORTers.

Regarding tipping practices in general, first, I make no comment on the validity of my Spaís tipping practices. I didnít set the policies I just answer the questions posed.

In general I agree with those of you who feel tipping has gotten out of control. Most of these non-traditional tipped positions are either employees attempting to secure more money for themselves (ie the Starbuckís tip jar) or employers trying to pay the employees less.

Traditionally tips were only given to people in the service sector, people who performed services for you. Baristas and grocery baggers donít fall under that category because you are doing all of the service work. They are simply doing their job. If, however, the bagger helps you out to your car and loads the bags into your car they have then provided a service, and you may wish to reward them for that service.

Personally, I tend to over tip. It is a product of working in the service industry for three decades. Still, I do not tip willy-nilly. Just because you put a tip jar on the counter doesnít mean Iím obligated to put something in it. However, if I intend to frequent your establishment, I may wish to have you remember me and provide me with extra attention when I come back.

For those of you who are fed up with tipping practices where you live, try living here. Tipping has run amok here. I regularly have to turn down tips. Everyone here is either asking for a tip or trying to give you one. Itís tiresome.

And finally,

HmmmmmÖ Women's locker-room surveillanceÖ I may ask to have that added to my job description.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

Does anyone use Oxy Clean? My grandkid got a spot on his new t shirt and I was afraid to use bleach on it. My friend suggested OxyClean and even gave me enough to use on his shirt. She told me to wet the shirt, put the powder on it and dampen the powder. I did, let it set for a while and washed it. The spot was completely gone. I bought some and just used it on my new robins egg blue shirt, same results. I'm sold on that stuff and don't plan to be without it again.

I got an off brand at a dollar store but it works just as well as the expensive name brand which costs more than twice as much.

I've seen a total of 3 pregnant women this year smoking like chimneys and i just don't get it. The one i saw today did it so proudly. I really don't understand.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Muduh View Post
    Does anyone use Oxy Clean? My grandkid got a spot on his new t shirt and I was afraid to use bleach on it. My friend suggested OxyClean and even gave me enough to use on his shirt. She told me to wet the shirt, put the powder on it and dampen the powder. I did, let it set for a while and washed it. The spot was completely gone. I bought some and just used it on my new robins egg blue shirt, same results. I'm sold on that stuff and don't plan to be without it again.

I got an off brand at a dollar store but it works just as well as the expensive name brand which costs more than twice as much.
    Yes, I swear by it, and use it regularly whether I see stains or not. It doesn't take much, and lasts forever, too.
    Love The Bachelor? Catch the recap for this season's sacrificial lamb lucky guy here in Episode 1, Episode 2, Episode 3, Episode 4, Episode 5, Episode 6 and Episode 7.

+ Reply to Thread